PDA

View Full Version : F*N - Again improved

kid16k
06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
2008-06-15

Starting today we'll test having no minimum seed time.

Keep in mind, just because we have no mandatory seed time does not mean hit and runs are acceptable. Please use good judgment.

I stress that this is only a trial, meaning it is not set in stone and is not permanent. There will definitely be changes, whether it be that we keep this, or we modify the old rule, or make a mixture of both.

More details will probably pop up here, so check back for the next few days. When we've finished our experimentation, you'll get word of the new system.

markupmaster
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
This could be a risky move by FTN..

C.H.A.O.S
06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
According to our news this may highly enhance the peers/seeder ratio or drop.

Nemrod
06-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I canīt find one single reason for not seeding a torrent for at least 48 hours... I mean: I think that itīs the same thing.
But it is a very nice way of showing confidence in us. And we must seed even more in return for that trust.

stoi
06-15-2008, 10:37 PM
I actually think this may be OK for FTN.

Tight, close nit community.

Less than 5000 members (i think).

Closed for months

They should have members that know what is expected of them, and know how to use this perk they have been giving, wisely.

I do not think this will ever work on a big tracker though, that takes new members.

But good luck, i hope it does work out, only big problem i can see, is if you ever open the doors again to new members, teaching them what is expected of them.

1000possibleclaws
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
According to our news this may highly enhance the peers/seeder ratio or drop.

It'll also vastly increase the amount of snatches hopefully, and with the competition to get ratio for seedbox users this is a good thing. It's also great for normal users, because they won't always have to seed 3 days, so there is now no reason to go to PiSexy or Revtt or _____ to download something you don't want to seed very long. I'm hoping this will work well so they can keep the rule. no ratio alone isn't that special anymore, with countless new(-ish) trackers such as iTS, PTN, Bitseek, iFi, etc adopting the idea as well

Istanbul
06-15-2008, 11:32 PM
it reasonable, but risky.

slimdogp
06-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Seems to me to be an attempt to increase snatches, which is a common thing these days.

Best of luck with it..

SgtMajor
06-16-2008, 12:13 AM
It's a trial basis for 1 week only, for the time being, and agree with Stoi, small userbase where most members know each other will look after each other over trackers that have large userbases.

LoKaLiRi
06-16-2008, 12:37 AM
nice move , but it has some risk

binocular
06-16-2008, 01:09 AM
This kind of rules would only work a treat if it happened to FTN. Every user there knows how to make the site better. It's not a duty, but an honor.

mrnobody
06-16-2008, 01:09 AM
what is so "risky" in trial?

sanjana
06-16-2008, 01:22 AM
This is great News for all F*N members and it will not just increase the Leeching but also it will help most people to build good ratios for those who have slow internet connection.

I know that F*N does not have any ratio...Secondly no matter if minimum seed time is under trial seeder will always seed..

Thanks a lot for a great move..:D

BOOM
06-16-2008, 02:46 AM
IMO, ftn members will be encouraged to leech.
If more people download the torrent, more people will seed the torrent!!

jam0980tr
06-16-2008, 03:14 AM
IMO, ftn members will be encouraged to leech.
If more people download the torrent, more people will seed the torrent!!

BOOM how can they encourage members to leech when there are so many got ftn as a trophy and they are useing other sites to download.
I hope the new update improves ftn tracker and the races lmao there is no need to cheat (No Sample):P

1 thing i was thinking about just now was if people got it as a trophy and don't download there should be a rule of downloading EX like 10 torrent's week to keep there account active. The ones who don't download they will have to just to keep there account alive.. i think this idea will give ftn peers and snatches a big boost.

lostdemon
06-16-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm glad to know how much trust FTN staff are putting into us/their members. I just hope that people won't abuse this.

1000possibleclaws
06-16-2008, 03:46 AM
10 per week is alot and is ridiculous for the average user, you can't expect someone to watch 10 movies/shows every 7 days. If this rule won't encourage leeching than nothing will. They already disabled over 1k unused 'trophy' accounts about a month ago

jam0980tr
06-16-2008, 03:52 AM
10 per week is alot and is ridiculous for the average user, you can't expect someone to watch 10 movies/shows every 7 days. If this rule won't encourage leeching than nothing will. They already disabled over 1k unused 'trophy' accounts about a month ago

T.S.O.L I was giveing a example to the ones who don't download and the ones who download i can't say anything, you understand the way am tryying to say.
best thing about ftn is the forum side and the bad part is tracker side but hope to see it improved.
These day's people wanna download fast and get that 1.1 ratio

The-Stig
06-16-2008, 05:26 AM
no ratio , no minimum seed time ?
what is it .. free usenet ? :unsure:

wevotedno
06-16-2008, 05:39 AM
All the best. I am sure it will work for you

pone44
06-16-2008, 06:11 AM
This will prove who is a good member,very generous staff it seems. :) . I am not a member there yet so- no more on that!

waki
06-16-2008, 09:55 PM
i think almost everyone is gonna seed for days like before

but it's a nice move, ofcourse

F*N is ahead always :)

Grind$oFine
06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
If this does create more peers, then obviously that is a really good thing for FTN users.

However, assuming this rule doesn't get abused because FTN users know what is expected from them kind of contradicts the fact that it would take something like this to promote downloading...

There is probably a better way, but if this works then... maybe it'll be easier to seed 1:1 on a shit connection.

th0r
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
srsly, if there was a news post saying that brandon took a dump on his own face, it would appear on fst faster than it would on ftn

trolls.

psxcite
06-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Sounds good to me. Easier to spot the real leeches, when they don't think they have to seed at all.

The Flying Cow
06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
best thing about ftn is the forum side and the bad part is tracker side but hope to see it improved.

I'm sorry what's "bad" with the tracker side? Pre-times are so good these days they're at times faster than S*T's, the tracker is alive and kicking. Most torrents are fast as heck to dl, even with 1 seeder (which is the case for the older material). Please tell us what's so "bad" about it?

srsly, if there was a news post saying that brandon took a dump on his own face, it would appear on fst faster than it would on ftn

Still feeling bad he crapped on your chest, 'ey?

sabre
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
honestly, i wouldn't seed back and would HnR that bitch ! =)

The Flying Cow
06-17-2008, 11:46 AM
That's why you're not in FTN.

NPAX1
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I guess this is more of a departure from the archetypal 0day tracker model. Very progressive.

sabre
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
That's why you're not in FTN.

how do you know? im gonna HnR my heart out during this trial

The Flying Cow
06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Good idea, ruin it for the rest of us why don't you.

//Quickedit: That's why people like you shouldn't be in FTN.

Disme
06-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Oh V-male don't get all wind up by this kind of provocative babbling ... I'm sure the staff will sort out these kind of users and boot them faster than they can say 'looser'. :cool:

Skiz
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM

She isn't, albeit wishing she was. It's all revealed in the grammatical choice:

honestly, i wouldn't seed back and would HnR that bitch !

jam0980tr
06-17-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry what's "bad" with the tracker side? Pre-times are so good these days they're at times faster than S*T's, the tracker is alive and kicking. Most torrents are fast as heck to dl, even with 1 seeder (which is the case for the older material). Please tell us what's so "bad" about it?

1st- loser's only cheat there pre times if there proS, no need cheating why give out 99% (there auto sucks so much they have to cheat:naughty:) FTN don't have to follow other peoples foot step's they have make there own. that just sucks.
2nd - lack of peers
3rd - It's becoming like a dead tracker
4th - 2 many got ftn as a trophy and they are useing other sites to download.

These are some of the things bad about ftn tracker but don't get me wrong i like the forum best thing about ftn and hope to see it improved alot.

jasperr
06-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Personaly, as bold of a move this is...and i give props to the staff for giving it a go.. BUT, i see this as an epic fail.. unfortunately many users/members need these rules to keep them in line otherwise, they will run all over this like a like a drunken truck driver.. staff has a lot of work ahead of'em.. and most likely gonna be a lot more open spaces to fill in the userbase there soon.. so that may be good news for some... maybe

we'll have to wait and see how this goes

The Flying Cow
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry @Post#34, but I can't comprehend one word of your diatribe. :wacko:

jam0980tr
06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Sorry @Post#34, but I can't comprehend one word your diatribe. :wacko:

VillageShaman my poster 34 isn't violent speech by the way you asked me so that's your reply and every line i said is true.

The Flying Cow
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I meant to say I can't understand a word of what you said.

Is this some idiom I'm not aware of? A new form of speech?

I remain ignorant.

jam0980tr
06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I meant to say I can't understand a word of what you said.

Please tell us what's so "bad" about it?

my english isn't that bad and i have gone over my reply, i can fully understand what i said, there are no misstakes @ Post#34

ok anyway i hope you understand it, because am not gonna explain it again, it's there for you to understand VillageShaman. :rolleyes:

Brandon
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM

1st- loser's only cheat there pre times if there proS, no need cheating why give out 99% (there auto sucks so much they have to cheat:naughty:) FTN don't have to follow other peoples foot step's they have make there own. that just sucks.
2nd - lack of peers
3rd - It's becoming like a dead tracker
4th - 2 many got ftn as a trophy and they are useing other sites to download.

These are some of the things bad about ftn tracker but don't get me wrong i like the forum best thing about ftn and hope to see it improved alot.

1: How exactly do we cheat? You do realize, it's difficult to cheat due to the nature of how torrents work. You have to actually make the torrent in order for it to show up on site with the correct size, etc. And even if we were going to cheat, we'd be first on every torrent don't you think?

2: Lack of peers? We have less than 5k users, and 20,000 peers. Do some math buddy.

3: Dead? I don't think so. We aren't out to conquer the torrent scene by any means, but I'd say we're very much alive by our standards and goals.

4: Who cares? We haven't matched capacity yet so I really could care less about those users right now. And why should you or any other user care?

Your logic is seriously flawed IMO. But we all have our opinions. And I'm a bit confused with how you say it's bad that we lead rather than follow everyone else.

PS: All sites use pretty much the same auto. Coded by different people of course (well, unless you count the ones sold to all the sites who didn't create their own), but same parts ;)

invite420
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Thank you Brandon and FtN! Great idea...! hasn't made much difference tho also probably a good time to test and catch the H&Rers;);)..

P.S. may I suggest adding few thousand peeps

jam0980tr
06-17-2008, 11:38 PM
1: How exactly do we cheat?

Brandon Don't get me wrong all the stuff i said it's my own small opinion about ftn. ok you like to know cheating bit

1 FTN auto uploading movies,dvdr,tv shows, where the hell are the Sample?

Sample missing indeed that's is called cheating Brandon just to improve the pretime. giveing out 99% of the release. Still after cheating ftn still behide the Races. :naughty: You don't have to follow SCT foot step Brandon by cheating that's just a opinion am sayying my self Brandon.

2 I know what you mean Brandon, i can't say anything!!

3 honesty i shouldn't have said that bit am sorry.

4 why i care is in this torrent world, i like both sides tracker and forum and
them trophy holders sucks and if they wasn't there i bet ftn would have been very active tracker, you get me what am sayying Brandon

I hope this clears up the topic Brandon it's understanble :D

Brandon
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM

Brandon Don't get me wrong all the stuff i said it's my own small opinion about ftn. ok you like to know cheating bit

Sample missing indeed that's is called cheating Brandon just to improve the pretime. giveing out 99% of the release. Still after cheating ftn still behide the Races. :naughty: You don't have to follow SCT foot step Brandon by cheating that's just a opinion am sayying my self Brandon.

them trophy holders sucks and if they wasn't there i bet ftn would have been very active tracker, you get me what am sayying Brandon

I wouldn't consider it cheating. A sample consists of a smaller file than a rar itself. Sure, it might cut off a half second, maybe a second. Big deal. The main reason why we skip samples is to conserve bandwidth. Samples to me are pointless in the torrent field. Nukers use samples to check a release, which is why they're there. I see no point uploading a sample for a 300mB tv ep that would take you a few min to grab and check yourself. Especially if it's a typical HDTV rip. Not biting back at you, as I said you have your own opinion but I do hope I've enlightened you a bit.

The Flying Cow
06-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Lol it's cheating because there isn't a sample...

Get out of the house a bit, jam.

What about BMTV then? all extracted rar's and never any samples..Does that make them cheaters too?

You need the sample to have your full e-boner?

o_O

jam0980tr
06-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks Brandon for the reply, i know what you mean and good luck to improve the site ;)

@VillageShaman

VillageShaman let me tell you in my own words sites that races with pre time don't give out 99% mate they give out 100% and that's is called full scene release. I have been around like all most 6 years of torrenting and i allways downloaded full scene release not @ 99% mate. this is new in the torrent world and i have no idea why they do it. Still in my opinion i call it cheating or uploading uncomplete rels

VillageShaman do you know the meaning of full scene release ?
it's seems like you don't understand it, google is you friend search there, you will soon understand :lol:

bmtv no comment

now am out of here, I have to catch up with all my downloads & uploaders on my ftp

shawn21
06-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Sounds like it could be abused..

1000possibleclaws
06-18-2008, 04:33 AM
jam, i ALWAYS delete samples without watching them, I don't see how not including them would cause you such a fuss..
On second thought they might be useful on cam releases, and I'll probably start dl them for those before I get the whole file (canadians isps have a capped dl bandwidth now, it sucks) but in general i would think samples are just wasted bandwidth and space for most torrenters

FiftyGame
06-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Great Job Guys!

Makes a great site even better!

jam0980tr
06-18-2008, 05:36 AM
jam, i ALWAYS delete samples without watching them, I don't see how not including them would cause you such a fuss..
On second thought they might be useful on cam releases, and I'll probably start dl them for those before I get the whole file (canadians isps have a capped dl bandwidth now, it sucks) but in general i would think samples are just wasted bandwidth and space for most torrenters

T.S.O.L It's not the fuss when i upload movie packs, tv packs, 720 pack dvdr pack. and much more that i can't say,I like to have my packs and the rest in full scene release and NO SFV ERROR if you know what i mean ;) by the way you deleted your stuff, i don't i save them to my servers mate and they come in usefull when it's needed!! now all the stuff i have been sayying i hope you people understand.

leechers don't care long as they can leech it & seed they happy.

no more comment..

1000possibleclaws
06-18-2008, 06:03 AM
yeah i just don't bother to check for errors in shitty xvid or dvdr quality video that I'm gonna watch a couple times at most..

th0r
06-18-2008, 07:10 AM
jam just stop talking, you are only making matters worse for yourself

Funkin'
06-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Honestly, this new rule isn't going to affect a lot of the users. Most will keep their torrents active for quite a long time after they're completed. But it does show the trust that the staff likes to give it's users, and that is appreciated.

dragos
06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
wouldn't increasing the user limit to 10k work better than this cheap tricks, no ratio, no seed time? Yeah, 20k peers out of 5k users is a good number in report to the # of users, but it's a terribly small number overall. For the site to work good, to keep the packs alive and speedy, you need users to work on them, but you don't have users now. Brandon said once the small userbase makes it easier for him to keep track of his people, but i'm sure he already knows most his users and he wouldn't have any trouble with some extra faces.

NPAX1
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Increasing the user limit would probably just result in a bunch of seedboxes and trophy collectors, whatever that's worth.

mundz
06-18-2008, 12:04 PM
deleted

dragos
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Increasing the user limit would probably just result in a bunch of seedboxes and trophy collectors, whatever that's worth.

what do you expect? Make a tracker with 10 users then hype it everywhere how good it is and how hard it is to get in. People want it just so they can say they have it and not use it like you say, and people who have don't use it because it doesn't have much practical use and there are more than enough alternatives. The entire approach to FTN is just wrong at the moment if you ask me and if i were Brandon i'd put some serious work into it, and the mentality needs to change to do that, 5k users isn't enough, no matter how many times you look in the mirror and repeat it.

The Flying Cow
06-18-2008, 12:16 PM
The userlimit is set at 6000 ATM.

It's more than enough, for a small private site.

However I'm sure Brandon is going to take all this bitching very seriously right now and invite another 30000 people into the tracker ;)

BOOM
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I still don`t understand why Brandon waste his time discussing here...

DuDutchy
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
FTN: 5k users/20k peers = avg. 4 per user
SCC: 15k users/60k peers = avg. 4 per user
ScT: 19k users/130k peers = avg 6,8 per user

ScT=Win.

CHS
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
sct been up for 3 years, FTN for 2, and SCC for 1 ;)

superclover
06-18-2008, 04:19 PM
villageshaman:

what jam is talking about is the actual scene side of torrents, not about the everyday use of downloading something for you to have. people involved in the scene feel "cheated" if they do not get a full release because the scene has high standards, which are meant to be followed. for most of us here, we use ftn to download content and just want to watch whatever we download, so we do not care about the .sfv and the sample etc, but the reason it is a scene release is because it comes with all those files. if people didnt care wether it was a scene release or not surely they would download most of their content of TL? (no disrespect ftn) if ftn claim to be a scene tracker, then they should include the full files in their releases, but they dont because, as brandon says, it is a waste of bandwidth, and also, not many people use them, or need them. i am just trying to make it clearer what jam is talking about. i am not attacking ftn, saying they are bad or anything, because i use the site and enjoy it very much, i am merely trying to make it clear to you that a scene release should include the full amount of files, but maybe to someone like you, who does not need these added files, and just wants the movie to watch, it does not matter, but to other people, this is important.

=)

The Flying Cow
06-18-2008, 04:30 PM
:D

Clear as day.

dunson
06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I didn't even notice they didn't have samples. lollerz

The Flying Cow
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah me neither dunse.

It's really irrelevant for us, I guess.

superclover
06-18-2008, 04:46 PM
its irrelevant for me as well but i was just sticking up for jam :D

Skiz
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM

Who the fuck downloads samples? :blink:

Learn to read an NFO.

jam0980tr
06-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Who the fuck downloads samples? :blink:

Learn to read an NFO.

plz understand what am tryying to say it's easy for you to say who the fuck download samples.

Skizo (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/skizo-89789) let me tell you as a mate samples are needed to compete the full scene rels,
(for uploaders this is very important and you will have no sfv error if you got the sample)
you didn't read all my poster on this thread, people still don't understand me.:O

Skizo (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/skizo-89789) I have been reading nfo's last 5 years mate.

Skizo (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/skizo-89789) don't get me wrong scene put there files there to be download at 100% not at 99% anyway what ever ftn or sct are doing isn't gonna change the torrent world people will go else where to get there files, uploadding 99% that is called tryying to cheat there pre or uploading uncompleted scene release.

fOrUmAs
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
well i always seed for at least 4 or 5 days so this is pretty useless for me

but that will not be the problem much since FTN members seed they torrents by the book :)

Disme
06-19-2008, 07:48 AM
what do you expect? Make a tracker with 10 users then hype it everywhere how good it is and how hard it is to get in. People want it just so they can say they have it and not use it like you say, and people who have don't use it because it doesn't have much practical use and there are more than enough alternatives. The entire approach to FTN is just wrong at the moment if you ask me and if i were Brandon i'd put some serious work into it, and the mentality needs to change to do that, 5k users isn't enough, no matter how many times you look in the mirror and repeat it.

When reading your post I wonder if you are actually a member on FTN?

Anyways ... I find it to be a very good move. As I see it the FTN-staff is givin their members a lot of credit and trust.

That can't be an easy decision. Let's face it, hit 'n run's are very common in almost every tracker. Imho that has to do with the fact there's a lot BT'ers that aren't very mature, that are egoistic, selfish, immoral and not givin a damn about their fellow tracker-members.

I guess a tracker is just like real life. Most people in 'real' life tend to behave the same. Only intrested in their own welbeing and not caring for others. I guess FTN's userbase is one of the better communities out there and I hope this new rule will be succesfull and will be the start of a whole new tendency on other trackers so that these ratio-rules that had to be imposed on members can be reduced to a seeding-recommendation.

You might find this a little idealistic of me to think it will succeed, but with the right userbase and a little incentive from the tracker-staff it should have a chance to work out just fine.

Good luck with it.

kondrae
06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
great news. but too bad i dont have ftn

j51im
06-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I read this topic and am really sad I'm not part of a community with this much trust. Ah well, maybe some day.

helpme
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
i hear alot about FTN
it have great community and nice staff nad of course very nice forums
beside its great content with great pretime
and its another good thing staff did
thats why i hope some day i will be member there