PDA

View Full Version : Azureus is Dead, Vuze Goes Social

IdolEyes787
06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
After 5 years, the popular BitTorrent client Azureus is no more. The Vuze http://torrentfreak.com//images/azureus-frog.jpg
team has officially abandoned the Azureus name and the new “social” BitTorrent client is now completely integrated into the Vuze content distribution platform.

Over the years, Azureus turned into one of the most feature-rich clients, backed by a dedicated team of developers and an active community.

“Whilst we recognize the strength of the Azureus name and the frog, it is only associated with our original BitTorrent application. As we move towards creating an all-in-one application for finding, playing and sharing great content, that goes beyond the realm of just a BitTorrent client, we wanted to change our name to reflect that, but bring with us the frog who is such a part of our heritage,” Gilles added.

Today, Vuze comes with a brand new release of their client (v3.1) (http://www.vuze.com/app), introducing several new features. One of the most drastic changes is the new social layer that has been added to the client. Vuze users are now able to add friends, share torrents with friends, and give friends a speed boost when you are downloading the same torrent.
The new client also includes a meta-search engine that allows you to search across several popular BitTorrent sites, in addition to content from Vuze.com. The search functionality is completely customizable, so you can add you personal favorite if it’s not already included.

Unfortunately, there will not be a Vuze client available without the Vuze platform integrated. Gilles told TorrentFreak: “We are focusing our efforts on delivering against our vision of creating an all-in-one application that enables users to find, download, play and share in one streamlined application.”

“We have started on a path of creating an all-in-one application that enables users to find, play and share torrents. In particular, we believe that by enabling users to share content and bandwidth through the “Friends” feature we are adding a completely new dimension to peer-to-peer - a new social dimension, or what we call ’social P2P’,” Gilles said.

Azureus is no more, the name change is permanent. On the one hand this is a step forward, as the new interface and functionality will appeal to new users. However, it has also caused quite a heated debate among both developers and users who were happy with the classic UI. Although, it’s a bit hidden, the original interface still remains accessible with the UI switcher (http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_2_/_3_and_Vuze#Use_the_UI_Switcher). Time will tell if it is the right move.

:source: Source: http://torrentfreak.com/azureus-is-dead-vuze-goes-social-080616/
:view: Homepage: http://torrentfreak.com/

stoi
06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
never liked Azureus. but when i tried the Vuze edition last year i was like WTF.

Utorrent ftw

mr. nails
06-17-2008, 12:56 PM
vuze IS trash. that's why i'm an old school user of azureus 2.5 (utorrent users are being watched. fact.). am wondering if the old client will work in the future.

Hanz™
06-17-2008, 06:51 PM
vuze IS trash. that's why i'm an old school user of azureus 2.5 (utorrent users are being watched. fact.). am wondering if the old client will work in the future.
utorrent users are not being watched. Are you stupid?

IdolEyes787
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
There were unsubstantiated reports that older versions of utorrent had certain vulnerabilities through which user information could be accessed.
That's why most tracker's won't allow older versions of utorrent to be used.
Supposedly fixed now but apparently not everyone is so sure.

colt45joe
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
vuze IS trash. that's why i'm an old school user of azureus 2.5. am wondering if the old client will work in the future.

blah:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_2_/_3_and_Vuze#For_the_.22I_don.27t_like_Vuze.22_crowd

WHiKWiRE
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
i tried out vuze and i wasn't impressed. it seemed to have a commercial look. granted i never liked azureus but it was more bearable than the vuze interface. utorrent ftw

edit: apparently me and stoi have some of the same views most importantly utorrent ftw

Sonnentier
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I think when they started to spread Vuze, Azureus marketshare dropped even more than it has anyway.
Vuze is definitely not useful if you just want to torrent your files like you always did.

Luis1
06-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Vuze is cool but I think joost is a bit better so far.

Funkin'
06-18-2008, 02:39 AM

No, a real fact is that some members of this site are not very bright.

WHiKWiRE
06-18-2008, 03:02 AM
No, a real fact is that some members of this site are not very bright.

Calm down man, people are entitled to their own opinion. :wacko:

kondrae
06-18-2008, 03:54 AM
ill just stick to 3.0.5.2 for now. didnt update to 3.1

Wilton331
06-18-2008, 04:00 AM
utorrent for Mac ftw

.... oh yeah. there isnt one and probably never will be.

Looks like I'm going have to stick with Azureus

stoi
06-18-2008, 04:31 AM
if you have a mac use transmission (ive heard its good, never used it myself).

Az = very bloated and most options you do not need, and the same people that use az complain about windows being bloated(usually) go figure.

and yes i do have a pretty good PC, with Vista Ultimate, 4 gig ram, Q6700, 8800 GTX and i still would not use az and definately not Vuze.

again though, just my personal preferance, but all i want to do is download/upload torrent, i dont want to watch movie trailers or game demos, or whatever it is that vuze does, i installed it the other month, loaded it up, looked at it, tried a torrent, uninstalled it. (i can get the full things for free anyway)

wevotedno
06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
never Liked Azureus. But When I Tried The Vuze Edition Last Year I Was Like Wtf.

Utorrent Ftw

+1

Aliyans
06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Its okey in my opinion name change..Azureus gone far beyond than a client since they introduced Vuze.. i like it loads of pure quality videos all types..its far better application..n i think azurues[vuze] can not be campared to utorrent as an application point of view but only from bittorrent client point of view only coz of Vuze theatre:D

stillhere
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
oh well always liked old version of Azureus...!

100%
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
kazaa rulez.

pifpaf
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
i need liked azure... have tested many versions but utorrent stills rules.

markupmaster
06-27-2008, 03:11 AM
I have never been a fan of Azureus. Always been very buggy in my opinion. When I switched to uTorrent I never went back...

:)

STUVNING
06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Think I'll stick with Utorrent.

fOrUmAs
07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
in the begining when i have started to use torrents i have used sometime azureus,and my friends have recommended to me so i have start to use it.

But sometime later i have start to use utorrent and the only reasone why i dont like much azureus is he take to much memory and have some feature that i really never would use and utorrent is just what i have needed light and easy to use..

even tho i must say azureus is more advanced than current utorrent..

good luck to Vuze