PDA

View Full Version : My Pc Is 2 Slow

Storm
08-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Avi or MPEGs my comp plays smoothly (if im not running to much other stuff), but i cant watch DivX's :(

so is there ne way 2 decode (part) of the movie beforehand so i can watch the movie at a speed of faster than 1/2 fps???

shn
08-15-2003, 02:46 PM
:lol:

Storm
08-15-2003, 02:58 PM
:angry:

i no u have a dual processor an shit (1 of which is 6 times as fast as mine :cry: ), but uhhmmmmm i jus dun have the €€ 4 that.............. so could u maybe give a tip of quit spammin my faboulous *cough* *cough* thread???

LMAO

*sits here lookin jealous*

shn
08-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off. The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass. :rolleyes:

best thing to do in your case is to optimize your ram and close out as many programs as possible right before you watch the movie..........I guess :unsure:

N£MO
08-15-2003, 03:28 PM
What specs does your comp have?

monica_green_22
08-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by shn@15 August 2003 - 15:26
Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off. The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass. :rolleyes:

best thing to do in your case is to optimize your ram and close out as many programs as possible right before you watch the movie..........I guess :unsure:
Why did you get Xeons with 512k L2 cache? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Xeon cache system?

If your cache is that fast, then having 512k must mean that its stalling on practically every cycle after a branch prediction failure. That can be almost a 30% drop in speed on systems like windows since context switches and other branches can't be predicted. With such a long pipeline and so many decoders, a 512k cache could hardly feed it all the time, could it?

Monica

pol
08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
:lol:

i dont even know what you just said, but it sounded gooood

shn
08-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by monica_green_22+15 August 2003 - 10:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (monica_green_22 @ 15 August 2003 - 10:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@15 August 2003 - 15:26
Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off.&nbsp; The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass.&nbsp; :rolleyes:

Why did you get Xeons with 512k L2 cache? Doesn&#39;t that defeat the purpose of the Xeon cache system?

If your cache is that fast, then having 512k must mean that its stalling on practically every cycle after a branch prediction failure. That can be almost a 30% drop in speed on systems like windows since context switches and other branches can&#39;t be predicted. With such a long pipeline and so many decoders, a 512k cache could hardly feed it all the time, could it?

Monica [/b][/quote]
I wanted the top of the line since I was charging it and didnt have to pay all at one time. ;) And I didnt know much about the xeons when I bought the pc but the issues you are refering to are not a problem if those issues even exist at all, sounds like your just trying to sound intelligent :lol:

Btw, It runs Redhat Linux Advanced Server not a windows o.s. so context switches and other branches or whatever the hell you were talking about isnt a problem. I run windows xp on my other box and solaris 9 on my laptop so that pc is not used as a desktop. :P :huh:

Houtig
08-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by shn@15 August 2003 - 16:26
Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off.&nbsp; The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass.&nbsp; :rolleyes:

keep living by your old folks :&#39;( And try talking into them that they also must pay for the pc :P :P :P

Cygnuz-Y
08-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Storm@15 August 2003 - 14:41
Avi or MPEGs my comp plays smoothly (if im not running to much other stuff), but i cant watch DivX&#39;s :(

so is there ne way 2 decode (part) of the movie beforehand so i can watch the movie at a speed of faster than 1/2 fps???
Try The Avi Preview KAzaa Lite Comes with....

Storm
08-15-2003, 04:47 PM
i have a AMD 500, 192 MB ram and a 20GB HDD, partitioned in 3, 2, 4, 4, 3, 1 and 2 GB drives

a NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corp)*
Creative AWE64 (i no its old, but it works fine)

i have tried turning EVERYTHING off, discontected from the internet, but it still wont go very well

i have tried difrent movies, all verifieds from http://www.fasttrackmovies.com/, but nothing faster than about 1 frame every 2 seconds

*hey, that what my device manager says :(

monica_green_22
08-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by shn+15 August 2003 - 16:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 15 August 2003 - 16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by monica_green_22@15 August 2003 - 10:11
<!--QuoteBegin-shn@15 August 2003 - 15:26
Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off.&nbsp; The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass. :rolleyes:

Why did you get Xeons with 512k L2 cache? Doesn&#39;t that defeat the purpose of the Xeon cache system?

If your cache is that fast, then having 512k must mean that its stalling on practically every cycle after a branch prediction failure. That can be almost a 30% drop in speed on systems like windows since context switches and other branches can&#39;t be predicted. With such a long pipeline and so many decoders, a 512k cache could hardly feed it all the time, could it?

Monica
I wanted the top of the line since I was charging it and didnt have to pay all at one time. ;) And I didnt know much about the xeons when I bought the pc but the issues you are refering to are not a problem if those issues even exist at all, sounds like your just trying to sound intelligent :lol:

Btw, It runs Redhat Linux Advanced Server not a windows o.s. so context switches and other branches or whatever the hell you were talking about isnt a problem. I run windows xp on my other box and solaris 9 on my laptop so that pc is not used as a desktop. :P :huh: [/b][/quote]
Heh, I had an almost identical system, except apart from RH, i ran FBSD, and the Xeons had 1MB cache.

To see some MAJOR speed boosts grab the intel c++ compiler, and build your kernel core (no modules) with it, with all the optimizations on, and then grab gcc 3.4 (from cvs) and build your modules with that, with the p4 optimisations turned on... you will see an instant 200% boost in speed. Probably more, since RH ships 386 binaries. :D

I used the system for running Maya, and found the speed improvement in OGL performance to be almost triple that of the unoptimised box. You will probably see less of an improvement as the drivers are quite good now.

If you do, let me know, I&#39;m quite interested in seeing how much it will change.

Monica

[ Maybe this should be in hardware world ]

monica_green_22
08-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Storm@15 August 2003 - 16:47
i have a AMD 500, 192 MB ram and a 20GB HDD, partitioned in 3, 2, 4, 4, 3, 1 and 2 GB drives

i have tried turning EVERYTHING off, discontected from the internet, but it still wont go very well

i have tried difrent movies, all verifieds from http://www.fasttrackmovies.com/, but nothing faster than about 1 frame every 2 seconds

Get a copy of the newest xvid codec binary and use the FourCC changer to change your divx movies to use the xvid codec, it has specific optimisations for your CPU.

Also, you should really consider getting more RAM, or downgrading to Windows 2000.

Monica

shn
08-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by monica_green_22+15 August 2003 - 11:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (monica_green_22 @ 15 August 2003 - 11:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@15 August 2003 - 16:22

Originally posted by monica_green_22@15 August 2003 - 10:11
<!--QuoteBegin-shn@15 August 2003 - 15:26

Monica

Btw, It runs Redhat Linux Advanced Server not a windows o.s. so context switches and other branches or whatever the hell you were talking about isnt a problem. I run windows xp on my other box and solaris 9 on my laptop so that pc is not used as a desktop. :P :huh:
Heh, I had an almost identical system, except apart from RH, i ran FBSD, and the Xeons had 1MB cache.

To see some MAJOR speed boosts grab the intel c++ compiler, and build your kernel core (no modules) with it, with all the optimizations on, and then grab gcc 3.4 (from cvs) and build your modules with that, with the p4 optimisations turned on... you will see an instant 200% boost in speed. Probably more, since RH ships 386 binaries. :D

I used the system for running Maya, and found the speed improvement in OGL performance to be almost triple that of the unoptimised box. You will probably see less of an improvement as the drivers are quite good now.

If you do, let me know, I&#39;m quite interested in seeing how much it will change.

Monica

[ Maybe this should be in hardware world ] [/b][/quote]
Thanks for the tip, Ill look into that. ;)

Storm
08-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by monica_green_22+15 August 2003 - 18:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (monica_green_22 @ 15 August 2003 - 18:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@15 August 2003 - 16:47

a NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64/Model 64 Pro&nbsp; (Microsoft Corp)*

Get a copy of the newest xvid codec binary and use the FourCC changer to change your divx movies to use the xvid codec, it has specific optimisations for your CPU.

Also, you should really consider getting more RAM, or downgrading to Windows 2000.

Monica [/b][/quote]
Right......... well i have no idea what u just told me 2 do, but i guess the Xvid site will help me out on that ;) (sry 4 being a total n00b when it comes 2 this sorta stuff)

and as far as the more RAM goes: im kinda saving 4 a comp of my own (yup, still use my folks comp <_< )......... and we just upgraded the RAM from 64 to 192.......

oh well, ill give it a shot, i just tried using the AVIPreview, and all i get is as if the movie is projected on a pond with ALOT of ripples in it........... and not a very good speed either :S

monica_green_22
08-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Storm+15 August 2003 - 17:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 15 August 2003 - 17:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by monica_green_22@15 August 2003 - 18:04
<!--QuoteBegin-Storm@15 August 2003 - 16:47

Monica
Right......... well i have no idea what u just told me 2 do, but i guess the Xvid site will help me out on that ;) (sry 4 being a total n00b when it comes 2 this sorta stuff)

and as far as the more RAM goes: im kinda saving 4 a comp of my own (yup, still use my folks comp <_< )......... and we just upgraded the RAM from 64 to 192.......

oh well, ill give it a shot, i just tried using the AVIPreview, and all i get is as if the movie is projected on a pond with ALOT of ripples in it........... and not a very good speed either :S [/b][/quote]
http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avic_download.shtml

Monica

bulio
08-15-2003, 06:28 PM
nope, no way your comp just sucks, too much.

abu_has_the_power
08-15-2003, 08:04 PM
u know wat i would do, I WOULD BUY A NEW COMPUTER :lol: ;) sorry bout shouting. and a cheap place would be:
www.ibuypower.com
if u want a full system, and buy parts at newegg.com or tigerdirect.com or Micro Center, but they r more expensive. hope that helped. and if u r gona buy, buy now, they have a sweet ass offer goin on::
IBUYPOWER Promo (http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/promo.htm)

Storm
08-15-2003, 09:41 PM
i am gonna buy a new comp.......... 2600+ AMD, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD and all 4 only 600 euro (no monitor), but i wanna no if there isnt a prog that will change my DivX 2 Avi (or whatever, like MP3-> WAV only then 4 DivX)

monica_green_22
08-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Your best bet is to download tmpgenc to convert the divx file to mpeg, which you should be able to watch on a machine with lower specs.

Monica

harrycary
08-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Storm, you shouldn&#39;t have any problems playing a Divx encoded movie. I&#39;ve got a PC in my bedroom with less in it than yours and it runs every sort of compression scheme. In fact, I&#39;ve also got an even older PC with a 200MHz processor and it runs video.

You are doing something wrong.

Shutdown all your other processes to start with.