PDA

View Full Version : GigaNews Spam?

thewizeard
06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
GigaNews Promotion for Time Warner subscribers

According to an announcement from Time Warner, On June 23, Time Warner will no longer provide Usenet services to cable modem subscribers. Giganews is offering first month discounts for current Time Warner subscribers. Time Warner customers will receive 50% off their first month of Diamond access and 20% off their first month of all other accounts. Click the link below for more details.
http://www.giganews.com/twc_special.html?a=fst (http://www.giganews.com/twc_special.html?a=fst)

Those who choose to sign up with GigaNews through the link above also support the site.

FileSharingTalk.com Staff

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/reply.gifRep

just received 3 of these :unsure:

manicgeek
06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
You are not alone... we are doing exceptionally well today... it starts with full screen ads, and then you start spamming me

According to an announcement from Time Warner, On June 23, Time Warner will no
longer provide Usenet services to cable modem subscribers. Giganews is offering
first month discounts for current Time Warner subscribers. Time Warner customers
will receive 50% off their first month of Diamond access and 20% off their first
month of all other accounts. Click the link below for more details.
http://www.giganews.com/twc_special.html?a=fst

Those who choose to sign up with GigaNews through the link above also support
the site.

Gee thanks...

What's next trojans embedded into the pages ? Or maybe beacons... so you can track me and target your ads and spam better ?

brotherdoobie
06-24-2008, 09:45 AM
You are not alone... we are doing exceptionally well today... it starts with full screen ads, and then you start spamming me

According to an announcement from Time Warner, On June 23, Time Warner will no
longer provide Usenet services to cable modem subscribers. Giganews is offering
first month discounts for current Time Warner subscribers. Time Warner customers
will receive 50% off their first month of Diamond access and 20% off their first
month of all other accounts. Click the link below for more details.

Those who choose to sign up with GigaNews through the link above also support
the site.

Gee thanks...

What's next trojans embedded into the pages ? Or maybe beacons... so you can track me and target your ads and spam better ?

Now you're being a martyr again. It's not sexy, at all.

-bd :dabs:

Something Else
06-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I didn't get one. :emo:

manicgeek
06-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I didn't get one. :emo:

PM your email address and you can have mine ;)

I'm not really coming across very well to you am I bd ?

I'm just an exceptionally blunt cunt, and it seems to come across badly on the interweb, I suspect the lack of facial expressions and body language is a big part of that. I was smiling really... true story like :yup:

Snee
06-24-2008, 11:51 AM

According to an announcement from Time Warner, On June 23, Time Warner will no longer provide Usenet services to cable modem subscribers. Giganews is offering first month discounts for current Time Warner subscribers. Time Warner customers will receive 50% off their first month of Diamond access and 20% off their first month of all other accounts. Click the link below for more details.
http://www.giganews.com/twc_special.html?a=fst (http://www.giganews.com/twc_special.html?a=fst)

Those who choose to sign up with GigaNews through the link above also support the site.

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/reply.gifRep

just received 3 of these :unsure:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it's neither actually from the FST-staff, and nor would you have gotten it if your email address hadn't been made public.

Obviously, I can't say that for certain without seeing the originating address and other information, though.

You do know that anyone can go and look at your address through your contact page, right?
Assuming it's the one you use for msn.

Barbarossa
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
You say that, but there's a great big giganews link at the top of the screen, so maybe this has come from Brian or something, I don't know :dabs:

I haven't had any spam, by the way.

lysine
06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
it came from vbulletin, so someone had to send it...

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.114.92.20 with SMTP id p20cs258142wab;
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:47:20 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.142.162.9 with SMTP id k9mr5027258wfe.211.1214293633626;
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mail.filesharingtalk.com ([208.101.39.11])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id 9si2978232ywf.8.2008.06.24.00.47.13;
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 208.101.39.11 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of [email protected]) client-ip=208.101.39.11;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 208.101.39.11 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of [email protected]) [email protected]
Received: by mail.filesharingtalk.com (Postfix, from userid 505)
id 4B9F0180834; Tue, 24 Jun 2008 02:47:13 -0500 (CDT)
To: [email protected]
Subject: GigaNews Promotion for Time Warner subscribers
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 02:47:13 -0500 (CDT)

puckface
06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Yup, screw you guys and your shit spam. Anything for a buck huh?

Snee
06-24-2008, 03:03 PM
smtp can be kinda' insecure, and mail addresses are still spoofable sometimes (we used to do that on purpose at work, using a non-existing address for mail that wasn't meant to be replied to), but in combination with that ad it doesn't look good at all.

tessco or someone better start explaining.

Not that I've gotten any spam, but even so.

puckface
06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
I think the only people who got the spam are Time Warner users... or so it seems.

Skiz
06-24-2008, 04:50 PM
smtp can be kinda' insecure, and mail addresses are still spoofable sometimes (we used to do that on purpose at work, using a non-existing address for mail that wasn't meant to be replied to), but in combination with that ad it doesn't look good at all.

tessco or someone better start explaining.

Not that I've gotten any spam, but even so.

If I'm not mistaken, the site hasn't yet recovered from loss of members brought on by the couple of consecutive DDOS attacks on the board.

The ad that I received today which appears to be the same as what was posted above was not the same email that I previewed. The one that was supposed to go out was along the lines of, 'we haven't seen you in a while, this is what the forum has to offer, etc....' and was only to be sent to members who hadn't logged in 90+ days. That may have gone out as well, I'm not sure.

No biggie, it's one ad. Plus, I assume we're playing catch up to pay for the cost of the recent attacks and the new server.

Yup, screw you guys and your shit spam. Anything for a buck huh?

Great attitude.

You enjoy the forum, which costs money, and you need do nothing in return and are not asked to do anything. Surely you enjoy the forum as your returning patronage demonstrates. Yet you still feel the need to tell the staff who brings you said forum the above comment.

If you don't feel like seeing an extremely rare ad come your way to help bring a tad of revenue to a site that makes zero profit, you're more than welcome to fuck off. :)

Sonnentier
06-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I received only one e-Mail about the GigaNews offer for Time Warner customers.
I'm not at Time Warner, wrong country anyway :P

Here's the mail: imagebanana.com/giganews-mail.png (http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/bsqxa7sv/giganews_mail.png)

I have no problem with that one mail, also didn't get "full screen ad".
In my opinion the policy for ads is very good here at FST.

enoughfakefiles
06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I haven't had any spam, by the way.

Me niether. I misss spam and onion sandwiches :emo:

brotherdoobie
06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
PM your email address and you can have mine ;)

I'm not really coming across very well to you am I bd ?

I'm just an exceptionally blunt cunt, and it seems to come across badly on the interweb, I suspect the lack of facial expressions and body language is a big part of that. I was smiling really... true story like :yup:

I was smiling. I'm usually smiling. I'm smiling now.

-bd :)

dodgy368
06-24-2008, 09:17 PM
I got the spam mail from fst, would like to know if it was them that really sent it or not.

brotherdoobie
06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
I checked my Gmail. I also received the spam.

-bd

JPaul
06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I received an email.

How is that a big deal.

Skiz
06-25-2008, 01:53 AM
I got the spam mail from fst, would like to know if it was them that really sent it or not.

Of course it was.

brotherdoobie
06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I received an email.

How is that a big deal.

It's not. Unless you're anal retentive.

-bd

Nevermore
06-25-2008, 06:03 AM
I got the spam at my gmail addy too. Not a Time Warner customer though. Never have been.
Actually, they don't offer service in my area - I'm in the wrong country for a start.

Anal retentive or not - I don't appreciate getting irrelevant ads from some third party, simply because I'm a member of this forum.

However, if it had been a "We haven't seen you at FST for quite a while, please consider visiting the forum" kind of thing, I wouldn't have problem.

One email or a thousand, this is not good PR.

JPaul
06-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Did you get it from a third party, I got it from here.

Getting it from someone else would make a difference to me as well.

Skiz
06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
He means to say the ad was from here, but it was advertising for a third party. i.e. - Giganews.

JPaul
06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I know what he means but it's not what he said. The implication of what he said is that you have been supplying our email addresses to other people.

RealitY
06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
The emails arent given to any other sources. The email sent should have contained information about the recent slow loading of pages on the site and the new server we have now to sort those issues. Its likely some havent been here based on those issues. The promotion was to be mentioned within that email also. Though unfortunately the complete email wasnt sent which was circumstantial and it was sent as is. This wasnt intended to offend or create a stir. We rarely send any emails at all from the site other than those auto generated which are set in members preferences. We will resend the email complete some time this week as it should have been sent...

manicgeek
06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Ah! Now that makes sense :D An email to encourage members to return that just happens to contain "A message from our sponsor" and unfortunately only the message from the sponsor bit got sent.

Cheers, at least we'll know what the next one is when we get it :D

brotherdoobie
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
It's a conspiracy. Right...

-bd

manicgeek
06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
It's a conspiracy. Right...

-bd

Eh? What you on about bd

brotherdoobie
06-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm on about my 11th Grolsch, actually.

-bd :cheers:

rookiecrd1
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Guys, at least be fair here. Spam is Unsolicited email. The email some may have received, although it wasn't sent in the format or completion we meant it to be, it was sent from FST, a forum which you sign up to.

Second, If any of you care to take on full multiple server costs, ddos protection costs and other costs of running this site, feel free to, and I'll personally make sure you don't see any ads or ever get an email with an ad in it again. The site is losing money, we just took on even more costs. The forum is 100&#37; free for all of you to use our bandwidth, and storage, and we have far fewer ads then other related forums, yet some of you still complain. Find me another large forum that is in the red, that has fewer ads on it then FST.

Our goal is to survive and provide you all with a place to communicate and share information with one another free of charge, unfortionately this means we have to pay to have the site up and running, thus a very few ads.

JPaul
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree.

brotherdoobie
06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I'll second that.

-bd

Barbarossa
06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
I'll third that.

Also, you can always opt-out of receiving emails from FST in your user profile settings.

Guillaume
06-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Guys, at least be fair here. Spam is Unsolicited email. The email some may have received, although it wasn't sent in the format or completion we meant it to be, it was sent from FST, a forum which you sign up to.
Ok, but what if you joined years ago and didn't log-in for about 1007 months (disabled e-mail from the board and its admins) and still received it? :unsure:
Isn't that unsolicited?

JPaul
06-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Yo dude respect. How goes it with you.

In other news Mr JP Fugley got the email as well but he deleted it. He will return when he's good and reddy.

kingrob
06-28-2008, 11:13 AM
only thing you can do is set in your profile here at fst that your not to be sent emails

if an email is then sent to you anyway just report as spam easy no need to get upset over it :P

Snee
06-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Ok, but what if you joined years ago and didn't log-in for about 1007 months (disabled e-mail from the board and its admins) and still received it? :unsure:
Isn't that unsolicited?

Hai, gurahl. Plz to be posting some in the Lounge.

Barbarossa
06-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Well if you're getting emails when you have specifically asked not to get emails then that's a bit naughty...

On the plus-side... HOORAY!!!!! GUILLAUME'S HERE!!!!! :w00t:

thewizeard
06-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Second, If any of you care to take on full multiple server costs, ddos protection costs and other costs of running this site, feel free to, and I'll personally make sure you don't see any ads or ever get an email with an ad in it again. The site is losing money, we just took on even more costs. The forum is 100% free for all of you to use our bandwidth, and storage, and we have far fewer ads then other related forums, yet some of you still complain. Find me another large forum that is in the red, that has fewer ads on it then FST.

Our goal is to survive and provide you all with a place to communicate and share information with one another free of charge, unfortionately this means we have to pay to have the site up and running, thus a very few ads.

FST admin are welcome to send information to any of my email addresses regarding data sharing, (send one for example to [email protected] and I will circulate it to our members and users, (real filesharers ..also a few leechers :) ) if it helps generate funds for the continuation of this (our) community!

In fact in 5 years I have been a member, these are the first emails of this nature I have ever received. Brian and his supporting team are doing a great job here and we are extremely fortunate in that Brian finances FST out his his own pocket and so it's absolutely normal he tries to balance the costs this way!..Some of the members might remember what nearly happened!

The explanation is adequate..close the thread when you wish.. :)