PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine [2007]

mr. nails
06-24-2008, 12:24 PM
mad props to this film. finally got around to watching it this morning. story line was cool, cgi was sweet & the soundtrack is easy on ur ears as well. director danny boyle never ceases to amaze me. i like this mans work.

movies entirety takes place in space. the sun is dying and the crew to this mission is set out to kick start it. tragedy sets in when they decide to go off coarse to help out the first crew that never succeeded 7 years ago.

ending spices up the film and takes it in a surprising new direction. great film for sci-fi fans. recommended. 9/10

Extended Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/sunshine/extendedtrailer)

pifpaf
06-24-2008, 05:34 PM
great movie. i didnt understant why the entire icarus I crew decided to die... i know that some members, like pinbaker(thats his name?), gone mad, but what about the rest of the crew?

mr. nails
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
great movie. i didnt understant why the entire icarus I crew decided to die... i know that some members, like pinbaker(thats his name?), gone mad, but what about the rest of the crew?

i'm guessing he lured his crew into the observation room and opened the window and fried them from the sun without them being aware of what was going on.

Dubs
06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
didnt one guy go crazy and kill everyone except one person?

pifpaf
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
mr. nails=i'm guessing he lured his crew into the observation room and opened the window and fried them from the sun without them being aware of what was going on.

interesting... i think ur right.

Dubs=didnt one guy go crazy and kill everyone except one person?

the mad guy with burned skin was the only survivor.

IdolEyes787
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Please , out of consideration for people who have not seen the movie, use the spoiler function when discussing important plot points .
Thanks.

pifpaf
06-28-2008, 01:39 AM
ops, sorry. :)

kuracat
06-28-2008, 05:56 PM
sunshine is a good movie and deserves its rating on imdb :)

Skiz
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Just watched this the other night. It was....OK.

If I watch a sci-fi flick, it needs to really convince me, otherwise I'll spend the entire time poking holes in the story. This one didn't convince me of much. I though the premise was pretty good really, but and 8 yr old retarded boy would even point out the holes in the story.

They "jump" from Icarus1 and wrap themselves in foil? Gimmie a break.... the space vacuum would have killed them the moment the air lock was opened.

Cliff Curtis burns himself in the observation room everyday and no one ever says a word about it?

Some guy sits in the observation room and just cooks himself for 7 years and lives? Everyone else burns alive?

The whole solar winds and repairing the shield was silly too.

I liked the plot, but it was poorly executed.

yoco
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I watched this movie some time ago. I expected to be very good, but have to say, I was very dissapointed at the end.

spidey99
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
great movie, acting is not that good, but it is ok...

Snee
07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
They "jump" from Icarus1 and wrap themselves in foil? Gimmie a break.... the space vacuum would have killed them the moment the air lock was opened.

Nope, it wouldn't.

I agree on it not being a great film, though.

Skiz
07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Nope, it wouldn't.

I was only commenting on what I've learned by watching NASA documentaries. But what do they know? :whistling

Snee
07-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Apparently not enough, given that it's pretty much common knowledge a person can last around a minute in hard vacuum, depending on his or her physique and so forth. Wouldn't be pleasant, and they wouldn't get out of it unscathed, and they'd only get somewhere between five and fifteen seconds before passing out.

Can't remember the scene now, but I think Sunshine might have had that particular bit right

The whole bit with people exploding or freezing instantly is all Hollywood.

EDit: What NASA (http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html) was that, again? :unsure:
EDitII: My numbers were slightly off wrt remaining conscious, it's not between ten and twenty, it's between five and fifteen seconds.

Skiz
07-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Interesting.

Extreme cold burning your skin. Simultaneously, the UV radiation is cooking it. Sunburned within 10 seconds. Immense pressure on your skin as it stretches. Saliva begins to boil almost instantly.

You won't die instantly but you'd wish you had. :no:

clocker
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
All right then.
Based on this thread I reserved Sunshine and finally got it yesterday.

Haven't really processed the experience yet but...
How did the Icarus 1's deranged captain get into the Icarus 2?

I'll probably reskim the film to see what else I missed.

I will say that the DVD has absolutely the worst "extras" I've run into so far.
Maddeningly arranged and divided and not terribly interesting.