PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Seedbox with Ubuntu..READ

midnightalker
06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi again..I just got my seedbox info. For the record, seedhost.eu is excellent. But there is a small problem...
I can't do anything.I don't know HOW!!
So I REALLY need your help. As I said before this is my first time. I have NO linux experience/knowledge! I thought "Come on how hard can it be? I'll read some tutorials guides, whatever it takes..". Well SHIT. 3 hours now and I have done NOTHING. What I 've done so far:
Managed to login with Putty.
Managed to login with VNC.
Thats it! Nothing else..I was following this guide:
NaQ's Complete Setup Guide for Linux Seedboxes (Fedora Core/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu) (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331)
but its no use. I'm moving blindly! HELP people. I'm so angry with myself.

UPDATE: I made it this far: 6. Setup uTorrent & WebUI

Now there is this. I'm connecting with VNC but there is nothing there but the background! No taskbar, no nothing! Right click does nothing at all..

I really hope that someone from you will help me and I'll even seed for him/her. I share the box..Anything. Just to get me started so next month I be able to do it myself.
Waiting eagerly for answers..
The seedbox has Ubuntu Desktop 7.04.

Raban
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
learning about linux isn't something that comes overnight ... take a break ... sleep on it... come back tomorrow and keep trudging along...

you stick with it you learn and things get easier

midnightalker
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
OK I cant run Xterm so I typed the commands to start Utorrent in Wine to Putty. Check this out..It seems that some driver is missing..Here is what it says..

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.and when i type firefox it says:

(firefox-bin:16539): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Hey guys the main problem is I don't have any icons and no taskbar...Isn't this a classic Ubuntu problem..I'm googling many different phrases but I don't understand anything from what I read..What can I do?

Raban
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
are you sure you installed a window manager ?? if so which one was it

midnightalker
06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I got this email..I told you seedhost.eu is great..

Hi

I saw your topic on FST :-) You must use NXclient , not vnc, all is installed.
login admin pass you know..

Regards

So I'm working on it..still can't find how to use this but at least now I now what I'm trying to do.. :P

h1pp0
06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
What kind of speeds do you get with them?

jayz707
06-27-2008, 01:01 AM
claim down :) you can do it. its not that hard as it may seem. linux is simple ;) if you have any more problems post em here.

cheers!

yellomello
06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
hmmm. I purchased a seedbox from him (seedbox option, not dedicated server) and everything was already set up to use. (VNC, ftp, WebUI). Which option did you pick?

KaySterling
06-27-2008, 02:05 AM
I also bought(hired) a box a couple of hours ago. I bought a dedicated, i like to set things up by myself and maybe learn something in the process.
Hoping for some nice speeds when i get the box! :) Very exited!

midnightalker
06-27-2008, 09:27 PM
So guys, I sorted out most of the problem and have gotten bit of familiar with linux. Still a lot to learn thought. What I'm concerned now is FTP! I still have been able to transfer files from/to my computer. I have really fucked things up. First I donwloaded a lot of FTP programs..But they were not servers, so I talked to dancefor and he said use proFTPD. So I did..Here 's my story.
I installed it from Add/Remove Apps from the applications menu. I installed the GPROFTPD the GUI server..At first I tried to make the settings myself..Nothing
Then I found a guide for it tried it...nothing
Then I found another more detailed guide from ubuntu forums...guess what..NOTHING

So I have applied I ton of commands from 2 different guides on one system as well as all the messing I did myself. Thats why I believe that no matter what you tell me now, I'm a very special case and no general guides are gonna work simply because A LOT of settings have already been changed. I hope you understand what I mean..

Here's a question in all that..Any other way to transfer my files from/to my computer besides FTP?
If not, then if I use a different server (suggest one if it exists!!?!) will all these matter?
What I have in mind right now, is really not a good idea but if I have no other choice...
1)MSN Single file transfer
2)upload bit by bit on a hosting site and then download them from my computer..

I told you I only have BAD ideas lately ("Oh, I think I'm gonna go with Linux"....SHIT)
So any other way?

KaySterling
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
I installed "VSFTPD" in Ubuntu 7.04 trough synaptic manager.
Then configured it by looking through this guide:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-seedbox-discussion-154/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331/page5

Then i installed CuteFTP at my home computer and connected to the dedi-box ip & login.
I have a big problem with the speeds, im still trying to figure it out, i can download and send but the speed is like 90kb/s and i know i can DL faste to my home computer since its 24mbit down.

midnightalker
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
What kind of speeds do you get with them?

The VERY LEAST is 2MB/sec but never for more than 10 minutes straight. The BEST speed so far was 10,8MB/sec for an hour or so, but 6-8 is more often..
With no calculations, an estimated average is about 4MB/sec...

claim down :) you can do it. its not that hard as it may seem. linux is simple ;) if you have any more problems post em here.

cheers!

I'm trying, its been a while since I was a noob at something..:whistling

hmmm. I purchased a seedbox from him (seedbox option, not dedicated server) and everything was already set up to use. (VNC, ftp, WebUI). Which option did you pick?

I think this is very important!! If you check you will see that the same system exists in both Seedbox section and Dedicated Servers section. I went with the cheapest but it goes for every other system too. The price is the same too. What I think and I am pretty sure is that if you take it from the dedicated servers section its .."blank" (sorry can't think of another word right now) but if you take it from the seedbox section (notice the 1-person server which means not VPS) its exactly the same only this time, it's pre-configured. It's like stating that you want it for torrents so he just does all the hard work and then passes it over to you..I 'll try to contact dancefor to get an answer for that..
EDIT: I talked to dancefor, the answer is YES. So thats pretty useful information..

KaySterling
06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
A little update from me.
I installed Proftpd as FTP server on my box and stopped VSFTPD server.
Then configured proftpd by following this guide:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/settingup-an-ftp-server-on-ubuntu-with-proftpd.html

Then downloaded Filezilla to my homecomputer, chose to run "active" and then put in the info to my box - IP/username/pass and port 21 and then quick connect.

Now i get speeds like 1.8-2mb/s which is much better than before.

jayz707
06-28-2008, 12:31 AM
how can anyone who read this help you if you are not stating what exactly is your problem(s)? please give more information and i am sure you will get more direct tips that would save you a lot of time :)