PDA

View Full Version : Alt.binz + Astraweb Quest

JadeFox
06-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Lo all

Ive finally got around to getting a usenet account!

So i ordered a usenet account yesterday ive only just successfully logged in today, but only because ive taken off the SSL tick box on servers tab.

On the Astraweb site its say ALL accounts SSL enabled so why is it i can only connect when SSL is not enabled?

Also i really want to be able to read headers again but i have no idea how to using alt.binz

Thanks!

Skiz
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure about the SSl question as I use Giganews.

Alt.Binz does not load headers, but with all the Usenet search engines and NZB sites around, who still uses headers anymore?

tnt
06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
keep in mind that you need different server for ssl
astraweb ssl server is secure.news.astraweb.com
http://i32.tinypic.com/qs6wz4.jpg

JadeFox
06-26-2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks, although i can now connect to secure.news.astraweb.com (im in europe so do i need europe.secure.news.astraweb.com or anything similar?) everytime i connect alt.binz crashes on both my pc AND laptop, only when logging on with ssl to the secure servers

any help?

limpdickkid
06-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks, although i can now connect to secure.news.astraweb.com (im in europe so do i need europe.secure.news.astraweb.com or anything similar?) everytime i connect alt.binz crashes on both my pc AND laptop, only when logging on with ssl to the secure servers

any help?

no, its not different for european users.

Alt.Binz, normally, changes the port automatically to 563 as soon as you click on SSL, I hope you didnt change that back to 119 or something else. The port for SSL is 563(and 443). Maybe thats why its crashing.

JadeFox
06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
no, its not different for european users.

Alt.Binz, normally, changes the port automatically to 563 as soon as you click on SSL, I hope you didnt change that back to 119 or something else. The port for SSL is 563(and 443). Maybe thats why its crashing.

Yeah i found that out when i wasnt connecting, i am using 563 to connect but everytime i do the program crashes, cpu stays at 50% and says its not responding, left it for 30 mins and still the same so i dont really know what else to do!

Also i just found out my ISP is going to start blocking all P2P and Usentet traffic in a few days time!!! WHEN WILL IT END?!

so my second question is how can i bypass these blocks?

sorry about all the questions

h1pp0
06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Accessing Usenet with SSL encryption should get around the block.

JadeFox
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM

I was thinking that myself, someone i know said that isnt happening, he says there choking it at the usenet end.... im not too sure hat he means by that.

but the trouble is alt.binz crashes when i try to use SSL, or do you mean another way?

ive got this program that usea proxy and uses SSH tunneling or something, not use it yet, but what else could i do to get around the block, what other programs are there?

Also alt.binz is constantly crashing now, it cant go about 3 hours without crashing and it really getting to annoy me, what the most stable program out there?

Sorry about all the questions but its never straight forward it seems :/

Sova
06-30-2008, 05:20 AM
I've never have alt.binz crash on me, what OS are you using? What version of alt.binz also? I find that version 0.28.1 is very solid.

JadeFox
06-30-2008, 07:20 PM
*Edit: Although i download v0.25 according to the site it says version 0.28.1 when i click version, my OS is windows XP

Apparently my OS is Blocking all usenet and P2P traffic as of tomorrow! I need a fix and fast! what could i use to make it look like the bandwith is coming from a HTTP/internet source rather than usenet?

what could do this?

thanks in advanced

Skiz
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
If you look at the top right of the Alt.Binz site, it says, "current version / build : v0.28.1" Though if you navigate to the "Downloadz" section on the Alt.Binz site, it says that 0.25 is the latest build. :idunno:

As for the startup issue, just create a shortcut to Alt.Binz and drag it into your "Startup" folder. Anything in that folder when run whenever your PC is booted. I think the default location is Start > All Programs > Startup.

Nice to see you're moving along though. :)

EyeBaller
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
The latest build of Alt.Binz is 0.28.1. However, version 0.25 was the last public build. To access the newer ones you have to donate and become a contributor.

It's well worth it IMO.

Skiz
06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
The latest build of Alt.Binz is 0.28.1. However, version 0.25 was the last public build. To access the newer ones you have to donate and become a contributor.

It's well worth it IMO.

How so?

EyeBaller
06-30-2008, 10:17 PM

It's well worth it IMO.

How so?

Check the Version history (http://www.altbinz.net/index.php?page=vhistory) there are many many new features as well as fixes. One of the things I know that broke a while ago was .nfo viewing from the search tabs, which now works perfectly.

Also, becoming a contributor gets you access to the requests forum and you can request new features to be added to the next builds.

ericab
07-01-2008, 07:59 PM

It's well worth it IMO.

alt.binz 28.1 etc is also avaliable all over usenet

Skiz
07-01-2008, 08:25 PM

It's well worth it IMO.

:drummer:

ericab
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM

:drummer:

bow chicka wow wow :fst:

limpdickkid
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
my signature has an RS link for AltBinz 0.28.1. If you still have trouble with the latest version of AltBinz then try GrabIt. I've heard good things about that as well. For various tutorials on usenet go to:

http://www.binaries4all.com/

JadeFox
07-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok thanks, how about getting around ISP choking usenet? is there anyway to avoid this like ssl encryption or ssh tunneling?

Also ive really been wondering, What is usenet? ive read wikipedia but its written for scientists :(

The way i 'see' it is a bunch or servers out there that people upload to, things like astraweb provide access to these servers and so do some isp's?

i know im probably well off but i just really dont understand it, could someone put it in layman's terms for me :P

thanks

Skiz
07-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I always found this (http://forum.shemes.com/viewtopic.php?t=2592) to be the best explanation.

wevotedno
07-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Higher versions are restricted to members that donated to the Alt.Binz site.

Newer versions are freely available on the usenet though.

BTW i am using 0.28.1 + Astraweb europe server and it never fails.

fastplumb
08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Astraweb news (http://www.news.astraweb.com/news.cgi)

2008-08-08 06:20:34
BT users might experience slow speeds due to your ISP throttling your connections. Please view these articles:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/bt_samknows_bandwidth_throttling/
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3648-does-your-adsl-connect-at-a-very-low-speed.html

Try an alternative port such as 8080 or 1818. Also, try using SSL. Please lodge a complaint with your ISP or try changing ISPs!

symphonyx
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
You should really get Grabit as alt.binz is a very buggy application and isn't as fast as Grabit. I tested both, alt.binz wouldn't go faster than 400kb/s, while Grabit went max connection everytime (1.1mb/s)

EyeBaller
08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
You should really get Grabit as alt.binz is a very buggy application and isn't as fast as Grabit. I tested both, alt.binz wouldn't go faster than 400kb/s, while Grabit went max connection everytime (1.1mb/s)

This is just BS. Alt.Binz maxes out my connection all the time and uses less memory than Grabit. Alt.Binz is far superior.

Skiz
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM

It's seldom that I see such a fallacious statement such as this one. If you haven't got a clue what you're talking about, it's best not to post.

symphonyx
08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
I tested it myself, alt.binz is slow as hell for me

EyeBaller
08-14-2008, 02:08 AM

Then something is wrong with how you set it up.

symphonyx
08-15-2008, 02:39 AM

Then something is wrong with how you set it up.

Yeah I figured that could be the problem, but I don't really see where. Anyways, i'll keep going with Grabit, can't be much different than alt.binz

Funkin'
08-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Just follow the Quick Setup guide on the Alt.Binz site. See if there's anything different you can do. I don't know what you're doing, by my connection gets maxed with Alt.Binz. It's a far superior reader than GrabIt in my opinion.

222MHz
08-19-2008, 02:52 AM

Agreed.. SSL to 443 should be masked as https traffic..

imprezawrx
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
how do i set up alt binz to download from midnight onwards. tried the schedular but don't know how to schedule it if yiu know what i mean, cheers