PDA

View Full Version : Which Manufacturer Is Good For Video Cards?

Shiranai_Baka
08-15-2003, 06:38 PM
So is MSI a good manufacturer?

boyzeee
08-15-2003, 06:44 PM
msi usually use nvidia chipset based cards. so you might as well buy a card made by nvidia themselves goto nvidia.com and see whats what. also ati are the other big name in cards ati.com ;)

theprisoner
08-15-2003, 06:58 PM
i would go with ATI

Enigma2003
08-15-2003, 07:20 PM
its all personal preference which company you go with.

some people like ATI and others like nVidia. each have their own advantages.
MSI make good nVidia cards but they seem to be expensive.
Sapphire make good ATI cards.

3RA1N1AC
08-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by boyzeee@15 August 2003 - 10:44
msi usually use nvidia chipset based cards. so you might as well buy a card made by nvidia themselves goto nvidia.com and see whats what. also ati are the other big name in cards ati.com ;)
as far as i know, Nvidia don't manufacture video cards?

aside from "reference" cards which they give to manufacturers and reviewers.

Wolfmight
08-16-2003, 03:15 PM
ATI is good for speed
Nvidia is good for image quality

Shiranai_Baka
08-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Well a MSI fx5200 here is 85 bucks.. while the ASUS one is like 120 bucks.. Any help?

Shiranai_Baka
08-17-2003, 03:50 AM
*bump* any advice from you wise ones?

clocker
08-18-2003, 04:52 AM
ATI makes great hardware but has really crappy drivers.
nVidia may not score as high but they use the same driver suite for just about everything.

I just built my first comp and could not get the drivers for my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro to load.
The nVidia drivers leapt off the CD and were installed no sweat.

A theoretically better card is no good if the drivers won't work.

adamp2p
08-18-2003, 05:18 AM
ATI all the way. I used to do the Nvidia thing until I got my hands on an ATI.

BTW, if you use ATI, you need to have Omega's drivers (http://www.omegacorner.com/)

3RA1N1AC
08-18-2003, 08:19 AM
i've owned a few Nvidia cards and a few ATI cards, and they're both excellent brands in my opinion. in general, Nvidia has usually had better drivers (more stable, fewer compatibility problems), but ATI have almost completely ditched their reputation for shoddy drivers over the past year or two.

i've run into a few very minor bugs in recent ATI driver releases, but to be fair i also remember a few particularly aggravating months when every Nvidia driver release was causing BSOD's galore due to the infamous nvdisp_4.dll bug (at the time, it seemed like they were NEVER going to fix that problem...).

ATI has traditionally had a better reputation than Nvidia for 2D display quality, and anti-aliasing & anisotropic filter quality. articles making screenshot comparisons seem to vouch for that. but i wouldn't say that Nvidia cards are poor, or anything.

if i had to give someone advice on which brand to buy, i'd just say that you should do some research on the features rather than just relying on benchmark test scores (since there isn't a huge difference in rendering speed between the two brands, when you compare their competing models).

Schmiggy_JK23
08-18-2003, 10:57 AM
if you are going to buy nvidia, get Gainward... they are top notch, and most of them allow for warrantied overclocks, which is very nice