PDA

View Full Version : Hoi CG.

chalice
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Wotcha wine-lady.

I've just been clearing out an old cupboard full of rubbish. Fun it wasn't.

However, right at the back of said cupboard, I unearthed two bottles of vino which had been gathering dust for well nigh 5 years I reckon. They were given to me one Christmas at work. They were deposited in said cupboard and were presently forgotten, like.

Having now resurrected them, will they still be okay to drink? One is a Shiraz and the other a Chardonnay, both from 2003. Does wine really get better as it ages or does it turn rapidly to vinegar if its cheapo stuff?

You have 10 minutes to respond before I drink the fuck out of it. I'll take your silence as consent.

zedex
06-29-2008, 02:27 PM
drink ! drink ! drink !

Skweeky
06-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Just open the bottle and smell the cork. Does it smell like vinegar?

Something Else
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Drink it up chaloise. If it's vinegary put it on your chips. :smilie4:

zedex
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
its well known , never smell the alcohol you drink !

chalice
06-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Opened it, sniffed it, poured out a glass of it, tasted it.

Tastes like win. True story.

Happy fucking days.

Cheers.

Something Else
06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
:cheers2:

Enjoy old bean.

CrabGirl
06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Yo! Chardonnay if heavily oaked might improve with age, otherwise is best drunk within a few years before the fruit flavours start to disappear and the wine tastes flat and stale. Shiraz can age a few years too, depending on how heavily tannic it is. Both would have been fine unless faulty (vinegery, musty etc), but probaby not much better than they started out. What were they, just out of curiosity like?

Not all wine gets better with age. Whites generally, unless they are very oaky don't age well, and sauvignon for one should be drunk very young.

Many wines are produced with heavy tannins and need aging as the tannins and acid will get softer with age, and the fruitiness improve.

Please excuse the dodgy sentence structure. I am mingingly hungover.

chalice
06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Thank you dear lady. Fantastic reply.

I'm currently imbibing the Shiraz which is SE Australian and goes by the name of Copeland Estate. I have no doubt, knowing my boss, that its the lowest of the fucking low. Good job my palette is shot to fuck from years of abuse.

The Chardonnay is French but I haven't gotten around to that yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will.

CrabGirl
06-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Its not too bad! Does what it says on the tin and isn't complete shite....

Whats the chardonnay?

chalice
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
The Chardonnay is a Grand Ardeche from Louis Latour whatever that means, like.

CrabGirl
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Now THAT is worth drinking. Nice wine from a good maker. Should be crisp, fruity with a smooth buttery finish, and prolly much better than the shiraz.

By the way, its a Chardonnay from the Grand Ardeche, made by Louis Latour.

I'm such a stinking snob.

chalice
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Good news, gratefully received.

Woo hoo.

brotherdoobie
06-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Now THAT is worth drinking. Nice wine from a good maker. Should be crisp, fruity with a smooth buttery finish, and prolly much better than the shiraz.

By the way, its a Chardonnay from the Grand Ardeche, made by Louis Latour.

I'm such a stinking snob.

Well, it's like your job to be a snob...in all fairness.

-bd