PDA

View Full Version : Dells?

ApacNTS
08-16-2003, 02:58 AM
i need to know if they are reliable, ive had computer trouble every since i bought one. if anyone has dell's or info on dell's let me know, are laptops better than desktops or vice versa, the whole pro's/con's thing, all advice is appreciated.

adamp2p
08-16-2003, 04:31 AM
I don't know dude, Dell is okay for me. And if you have a problem with their hardware, they generally replace it.

Right now I am having some serious delayed write error problems with one my Dells-the 8300 but I am not blaming dell for the problem. I just need to figure out what is causing the problem. I have a spiritual connection with my computers and whenever they are having a problem it is usually the result of bad computer karma...right now its mad at me becuase I have been spending more time with the calculus that with it...

zapjb
08-16-2003, 06:57 PM
What are your sys specs now? How much $ can you spend? What do you need it to do? How long are you going to keep it? Will you you be upgrading it during its lifespan? Are you going to salvage any parts from your current system (i.e. monitor keyboard, cdrw, ram, speakers, UPS etc.)? Are you willing to build it yourself? Answer those questions first. You'll save yourself time, $ & headaches.

bigdawgfoxx
08-16-2003, 10:04 PM
I have had a dell for 3 years...if a part breaks they send you a replacment..almost no questions asked..i love them..there support is awsome...there computers dont have any problems...go for it

_John_Lennon_
08-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@16 August 2003 - 17:04
I have had a dell for 3 years...if a part breaks they send you a replacment..almost no questions asked..i love them..there support is awsome...there computers dont have any problems...go for it
Yeah, from what I have heard, and a recent PC magazine survery, if your going to go OEM, or, well I guess its retail actually, then go Dell, or Sony. Both have great tech support, and their OS's arnt over bloated too much.

Like on my HP install, the XP reboot was 5 discs.........

adamp2p
08-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Yeah, and go to their refurbished website.

I just had a nightmare with my 8300, I thought it was going crazy, but it turned out that the reason I was getting so many delayed write errors was due to the Radeon card's power cable being connected to the floppy controller...

abu_has_the_power
08-17-2003, 02:20 AM
you should try www.ibuypower.com
they have a rating of 9.3 or 9.4/10 on www.resellerratings.com
and their price is outrageously cheap
check it out!! :D B)

TheFilePirater
08-17-2003, 03:43 AM
this was along time ago but the dell dude got arrested for tryin to by crack off the street :lol: :lol: :lol:

adamp2p
08-17-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by TheFilePirater@17 August 2003 - 04:43
this was along time ago but the dell dude got arrested for tryin to by crack off the street :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually I think it was weed.

theprisoner
08-17-2003, 05:27 AM
Dells are great PC. There pretty cheap, powerful and have great support. Although, if you want to upgrade your computer, dont buy the parts for dell(expensive) go to www.googlegear.com or www.newegg.com.

adamp2p
08-17-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by theprisoner@17 August 2003 - 06:27
Dells are great PC. There pretty cheap, powerful and have great support. Although, if you want to upgrade your computer, dont buy the parts for dell(expensive) go to www.googlegear.com or www.newegg.com.
Exactly, just make sure that you do not tell Dell if you add any hardware that you did not buy from them...otherwise they will not support you anymore.

bigdawgfoxx
08-17-2003, 12:26 PM
haha exactly adam ;) i have a new harddrive a new graphics card and new ram...and they dont know about it...cuz i would loose support. so just make sure to NOT tell them..and everything will be ok

abu_has_the_power
08-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by theprisoner@17 August 2003 - 05:27
dell makes it hard to upgrade ur comps sometimes. their cases are clamshell, most of them, and their parts are really expensive. i would just prefer to build my own, or buy from an oem dealer, much cheaper, and better comp 4 ur money. and a good oem comp dealer is www.ibuypower.com. just bought a comp, so far so good. i'll receive it on the 28-30 but i'm not expecting many probs cuz i shipped it air.

theprisoner
08-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+17 August 2003 - 14:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 17 August 2003 - 14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-theprisoner@17 August 2003 - 05:27
dell makes it hard to upgrade ur comps sometimes. their cases are clamshell, most of them, and their parts are really expensive. i would just prefer to build my own, or buy from an oem dealer, much cheaper, and better comp 4 ur money. and a good oem comp dealer is www.ibuypower.com. just bought a comp, so far so good. i&#39;ll receive it on the 28-30 but i&#39;m not expecting many probs cuz i shipped it air. [/b][/quote]
yes the older dells have AWFUL cases but the new open are very easy to open and use. I also like building my own comp, but sometimes its not worth my time and effort. Also good point adam, im also getting new parts and not telling them, hehe.

adamp2p
08-18-2003, 03:32 AM
This discussion has occured before, and I do not want to get into another flaming argument about this particular topic ever again.

I end up sounding like the posterboy for Dell or something...

adamp2p
08-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p+17 August 2003 - 04:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 17 August 2003 - 04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheFilePirater@17 August 2003 - 04:43
this was along time ago but the dell dude got arrested for tryin to by crack off the street&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:
Actually I think it was weed. [/b][/quote]
Here is the story where the Dell dude got busted (http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/10/dell.dude.arrest/)

dingoBaby
08-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Dell&#39;s are pretty good, overall. I have an 8250 and the few problems I have had with it have been resolved by Dell Tech support. One was a bad fan. Dell sent a tech to my house and he replaced everything, including upgrading my processer by accident (bank error in my favor), but the drives. My machine now runs like a charm.

A few things to keep in mind with dell. A lot of their tech support is based outside the US (mainly in India). So there are some instances of long waits on the phone and from time to time you will get someone on the phone who is very difficult to understand (if you are a native english speaker). Also don&#39;t by a SB Live 5.1 from Dell as it is a proprietary chipset that is not supported by Creative (check out the Dell support forum, under Audio for more info)

adamp2p
08-19-2003, 07:33 PM
That is true about the Indian Tech support. Maybe that is why their tech support is so good.

The Creative 5.1 card DOES work...you just have to have the software installation disk that comes with your system...

Another good thing about Dell is they give you a good XP disk (unlike HP, which gives you like 5?)...

I recently did some modding to my Dell and it turned out great...I added a 9500, a new power supply, and next will be RAID 0...

_John_Lennon_
08-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@19 August 2003 - 14:33
installation disk that comes with your system...

Another good thing about Dell is they give you a good XP disk (unlike HP, which gives you like 5?)...

Amen, Hp gives you a 11GB install right off the bat, and i&#39;d say 7 of it are complete bloat. 4gb&#39;s is about the biggest Xp install I have seen, so ya.