PDA

View Full Version : New hardrive

andrew.cook
07-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I currently have a 500 gb hardrive which i have filled up quicker than i thought so I am looking at buying a 750gb samsung spinpoint f1 to run along side it. Is this possible and a simple job to do? thanks

clocker
07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Depending on the layout of your case yes, it's quite simple.

andrew.cook
07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
have got a antec p182 case with one hardrive in top slot

peat moss
07-05-2008, 03:43 PM
How the hell do you fill up a 500gb hdd ? I'm teasing but why not look to an external drive . If you have more than one computer as most of us do , you can just switch them around in a heart beat using USB .

Just a thought tho as I'm very happy I went that route .

clocker
07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah but USB is painfully slow compared to an internal PATA- or even better, SATA- connection.
External drives are convenient I must admit but I prefer eSATA over USB anyday.

jayz707
07-05-2008, 05:58 PM
if you are out of slots to fix the drive in your PC. buy a normal HD and get one of the those cases which let you plug in a normal SATA/IDE drive to it. after wards you can use it as a external drive through USB.

Detale
07-05-2008, 06:55 PM
If you only have 1 HDD then you should have room for at very least a 2nd. It is as easy as screwing in the HDD then pluging it in and then turning on your system :)

What Motherboard ar you using?

Chame1eon
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't really get external drives if you have hot pluggable sata it's almost as easy as using an external drive. Or you could use the money you save to get a router and share all the information on all your hdd's.

andrew.cook
07-06-2008, 08:04 AM
using a gigabyte p35 ds3r mobo currently would it be easy to set up on this?

kooftspc11
07-06-2008, 08:28 AM
just open your case and look at how your current hdd is connected...repeat this process

Detale
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
OK here is a pic of your MoBo
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-086-05.jpg

As you can see you have a few options and pleanty of room for additional Drives. I would suggers going SATA as it's pretty much the new standard

Here is a simple Video how to install. It is as easy as Screwing it into your case and connecting the power and data cables. Now this is an IDE but the principles are te same only the cables look a bit different.
bt7ve7IeAGE

peat moss
07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah but USB is painfully slow compared to an internal PATA- or even better, SATA- connection.
External drives are convenient I must admit but I prefer eSATA over USB anyday.

Ya very true Clocker , I use it more for back ups for my wife's pictures or sharing movies with our roommate . I format a lot to try different O/S and its like one big DVD -RW to me .

@ Deltale , nice post . Its funny I have two workmates bringing me DVD-R 's early to work tomorrow so I can show them how to install . Guess I could just linked them to this vid as its the same concept .

Mind you there would be no beer in it for me . :lol:

bd75sy
10-18-2008, 02:18 AM
easiest thing in the world! same difficulty level as installing a piece of software or changing a lightbulb. worst case scenario by a drive enclosure and hook the drive up to your pc via USB