PDA

View Full Version : dial up speed problem

popwar
07-08-2008, 02:08 PM
i use my nokia n80 as a dial up modem. at my friends house i get around 200kbps. but at my house i only get around 70kbps. i was wanting to know some tweaks to maybe fix this problem? i cannot get broadband right now as i owe the cable company (time warner) 166 from when i lost my job back in february and could not pay it. i get full bars at his house and 2 less than full bars here at my house if i get it in the right spot. help would be appreciated. :yup:

Acid_death69
07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Well it depends, it may be good in some areas and bad in others. How far away do you live from your mates house? Are there alot of hills or trees in that area that could be contributing to signal loss?

popwar
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
i have less signal blocking at my house. i always get full bars at his house but not mine. maybe cuz his is on somewhat of a hill? i live about 5 minutes away from his house.

Acid_death69
07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
its possible that his house being higher than yours might be the cause of a better signal. I live in a market town and we only have covereage for half of it:s and even in that small portion of coverage, the still signal varies where ever you go.
im not sure if you can get hold of a piece of software that will make it go faster like. it all depends what ya signal is like.

bd75sy
10-18-2008, 02:11 AM
as has already been mentioned its all about signal quality, lower signal lower speeds, higher signal higher speeds