PDA

View Full Version : Canon Scanner

footballmad
08-16-2003, 10:45 PM
After moving my pc to another room (and obviously reconnecting all the cables) I had a problem with the boot time of my pc.
It was taking about 5 mins to get past the POST check but I found out that the problem was that I plugged my scanner in a different usb port than before so I changed it to the original port but the problem was still there.
Then I uninstalled the scanner and all the software that came with it.
Since then it has been impossible to reinstall the scanner.
I have tried cleaning the registry and system restore (to a point when the scanner was working) but whenever I try to reinstall the software for it I get the message that it cannot load the TWAIN driver and I should restart the pc and try again.
I have tried to install manually (without the bundled software) but that hasn't worked either.
It is now driving me mad. :angry:
Please can someone suggest something.

BTW I have winxp and the scanner is Canon D1250u2.

Mr. Blunt
08-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Have you tryed downloading new drivers for the scanner? Do you really need the software? Most external hardware is plug and play with WinXP if its compatable with it.

footballmad
08-17-2003, 09:33 AM
I know that it's compatible because it worked before.

When I plug in the scanner Windows tells me that the USB device is not recognized and it is an unknown device. (Whereas when I first installed this 4 months ago Windows new it was a canon scanner).

I also downloaded the latest drivers from canon but when I try to update the drivers I cannot.
I point Windows to the driver that I downloaded and it says that the specified location doesn't contain any information about my hardware.

footballmad
08-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Can anyone give me some pointers please.

adamp2p
08-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Your problem could be the result of several complications.

Recently I encountered power supply problem problems. I repeatedly got delayed write errors, and I thought that my hard disks had failed.

Have you changed any thing recently (about the same time that you started having this problem?)

Good luck

footballmad
08-18-2003, 08:03 AM
As I said I moved the pc to another room but other than plugging the scanner into the "wrong " usb port I haven't changed anything.

Does Windows have TWAIN drivers already installed?
I really can't see why it cannot recognise the scanner.

Thanks for your reply.

pol
08-18-2003, 09:17 AM
you might already have checked this but are there any 'bad' devices, like marked with a question/exclamation mark in your device manager ?

edit - if thats not the problem, you could try updating the driver and check the box 'look in this location...' and direct it to c:\windows\inf - i know this has default input device drivers in xp, not sure about scanners

footballmad
08-18-2003, 11:41 AM
It's funny how the most stupid thing works.

If you follow the Canon manual to install the scanner it says to connect power and usb connections berfore you start the pc, so I did this but also tried to connect the usb while the pc was on and let Windows detect it and as I said before none of this worked.

So this time I left the usb cable connected to the pc but disconected the power cable then reconnected it after a minute and Windows detected that is was a canon scanner and I was able to install all drivers and software as normal.

Thanks to you three who replied and tried to help.

Cheers :beerchug: