PDA

View Full Version : Sharing my internet on my PC with my laptop

#Palestinian#
07-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Sharing my internet on my PC with my laptop
hi....
i need a program for sharing my internet on my pc ( which connect by PPPoe way ) with my laptop , i had tried xproxy and didn't work , and i don't like ccproxy at all .
so :
if u have any other program pls give its website
or if there is a kind person who can explain how xproxy works i will appreciate his efforts ( i used this program on 2 pc have xp operation and works fine but my laptop operation is Vista , and i couldn't make it work )

thanxx a lot

lynx
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
You should be able to do this using windows ICS (internet connection service). Make sure the Windows Firewall and ICS service isn't disabled, then just go through the connection wizard on each system.

On the PC, tell it that other PCs will connect through this system, which should enable ICS. On the laptop, tell it that it will connect through another PC. Then connect the two together and you should be up and running.

If you really want to use a proxy, I'd suggest Proxy+ (http://www.proxyplus.cz/), I find it has the best features and is easiest to configure, and most importantly it is free (up to 2 users). It has been a good program for some time, but lacked any real development for about 5 years. However, development has started again and there are some really good features in there.

Jdsnut
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Easy GET A ROUTER!

#Palestinian#
07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
You should be able to do this using windows ICS (internet connection service). Make sure the Windows Firewall and ICS service isn't disabled, then just go through the connection wizard on each system.

On the PC, tell it that other PCs will connect through this system, which should enable ICS. On the laptop, tell it that it will connect through another PC. Then connect the two together and you should be up and running.

If you really want to use a proxy, I'd suggest Proxy+ (http://www.proxyplus.cz/), I find it has the best features and is easiest to configure, and most importantly it is free (up to 2 users). It has been a good program for some time, but lacked any real development for about 5 years. However, development has started again and there are some really good features in there.

can u tell me how to enable ICS
Thanxx man i will try both

Easy GET A ROUTER!

Could u buy me one pls , for tow computer i don't think it need a router while there is other good solution .

lynx
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
can u tell me how to enable ICS
Thanxx man i will try bothFirst you need to make sure the Firewall/ICS service is enabled and running on the PC. You need administrator rights to perform any of the functions.

You are going to need to use the Network Setup Wizard anyway, so the easiest way is to open Control Panel/Network Connections and find the Network Tasks list. Click on Change Windows Firewall settings. If it isn't running it will give you the opportunity to start it now. This will also change the startup mode to Automatic, which is what you will need. If it wasn't running, you will probably want to set the firewall to off (assuming you've got another firewall), but that will still leave the ICS service active.

Now click on Set up a home or small office network. Click Next twice, then choose the top option, This computer connects directly to the internet. The rest of the questions are fairly obvious and are dependent on your system. The only thing you might want to change is the workgroup name. I think XP offers you the opportunity to store network settings to set up other systems, but since XP doesn't know about Vista I'm not sure that will work so select the option to do it yourself. Restart the PC before you proceed to setting up the laptop.

Things are a little different on your Vista Laptop.
First of all, you don't need to worry about the firewall or ICS.
Make sure you've physically connected the laptop to the PC with a crossover cable at this point.
Find the network setup wizard:
Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Centre
On the left side you will find the "Setup a Connection or Network".

From that point it is pretty much the same, except this time you want to select This Computer Connects To The Internet Through Another Computer..., or whatever the equivalent is on Vista. I've got a feeling that Vista may detect all this for itself. If you are going to share files between the systems you need to make sure you use the same workgroup name as on the PC, but it isn't necessary if you are just wanting to share the internet connection.