PDA

View Full Version : Go back to XP or keep vista?

S!X
07-14-2008, 12:05 AM
I've been running a non-legit vista ultimate release for sometime now and have been getting really fed up with them, not only cause they won't hold activation but it seems to get sluggish really fast after a reformat. Due to these factors, i'm contemplating wether to reformat with vista for the 100th time or partition my drive, throw all my files on there and reformat with XP (which I have a real key for). What do you think? :frusty::dry:

tesco
07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
There's vista releases that have the activation crap removed.
I've had one that i downloaded in march running on one computer since then with no activation issues ever popping up.
Not sure if it's gotten any updates from windows update though. Maybe those might fck something. Not a big issue though, just don't update.

Mine has been running a few weeks with a version i just downloaded, that has sp1 integrated, also no issues with activation...

I don't even put in a key. :unsure:

S!X
07-14-2008, 12:20 AM
There's vista releases that have the activation crap removed.
I've had one that i downloaded in march running on one computer since then with no activation issues ever popping up.
Not sure if it's gotten any updates from windows update though. Maybe those might fck something. Not a big issue though, just don't update.

Mine has been running a few weeks with a version i just downloaded, that has sp1 integrated, also no issues with activation...

I don't even put in a key. :unsure:

Probably one of the monthly "BIE" releases, I was thinking of just using one of those but I don't know.

Ramus
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
been running vista since it came out haven't had any real big issues with it. but if you are a big gamer i recommend you stick with XP Pro.

LuckIEE
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
vista sucks

lostdemon
07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
It's all about preference.

I don't like Vista so I would go back to XP

mbucari1
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I vote XO too.

As I type I'm installing XP on my new vista laptop. I like performance in my computers, but I'm kinda funny tat way.

OTO
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM

I agree with lostdemon.

pifpaf
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM

i agree. imo, i would use xp sp3.

ricardogaia
07-15-2008, 01:54 AM
send vista out and stay with xp.

Cabalo
07-15-2008, 02:54 AM
if u are planning on timetravelling to older OS' , then why not Win95 ?

Chewie
07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
vista sucks
Thank you so much for such an erudite and expansive post.
Muppet.

I vote XO too.

As I type I'm installing XP on my new vista laptop. I like performance in my computers, but I'm kinda funny tat way.
I'll say you're funny - performance preferred so laptop it is!

Aramk
07-16-2008, 08:28 PM
xp :p

MaaxHimself
07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
YES, thats exactly what I did.
Vista blows, if you dont want XP go linux.

mbucari1
07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Thank you so much for such an erudite and expansive post.
Muppet.

I vote XO too.

I'll say you're funny - performance preferred so laptop it is!lol. I need a laptop for school, so I want it to be as fast as it can for as little as possible.

drfreshstart
07-17-2008, 03:18 AM
i prefer vista, because it is more faster and there isnt so big problems about programs, most of them working perfect

Snee
07-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Some super-useful people in this thread :ermm:

I've been running a non-legit vista ultimate release for sometime now and have been getting really fed up with them, not only cause they won't hold activation but it seems to get sluggish really fast after a reformat. Due to these factors, i'm contemplating wether to reformat with vista for the 100th time or partition my drive, throw all my files on there and reformat with XP (which I have a real key for). What do you think? :frusty::dry:

Depends on what you use your computer for and what your system is like, really.

Most of this should be stating the obvious, but just in case:

You'll probably get more speed out of XP Pro irregardless, even if it's the 32-bit version running on a 64-bit system.

What Vista has over XP is being able to use RAM over 4GB at all, and RAM over 3GB "well", and 64-bit support (I hear the driver support for XP 64 can be dodgy). Oh, and dx10 without resorting to something homemade to get it working.

It does seem to get sluggish pretty fast, not sure exactly why that is, yet. Maybe it needs a third party defragger and a separate partition for pagefiles, and getting rid of all tempfiles and other junk from updating at even intervals, and shutting a shitload of unnecessary stuff down, obviously.

TheSickEmpire
07-18-2008, 04:37 AM
Some super-useful people in this thread :ermm:

Depends on what you use your computer for and what your system is like, really.

Most of this should be stating the obvious, but just in case:

You'll probably get more speed out of XP Pro irregardless, even if it's the 32-bit version running on a 64-bit system.

What Vista has over XP is being able to use RAM over 4GB at all, and RAM over 3GB "well", and 64-bit support (I hear the driver support for XP 64 can be dodgy). Oh, and dx10 without resorting to something homemade to get it working.

It does seem to get sluggish pretty fast, not sure exactly why that is, yet. Maybe it needs a third party defragger and a separate partition for pagefiles, and getting rid of all tempfiles and other junk from updating at even intervals, and shutting a shitload of unnecessary stuff down, obviously.

I tossed in a 4GB flash drive for readyboost and completely removed my page file. Vista worked great.

Only reason I reverted back to XP was I needed to use some older programs that would never be updated to Vista. And, I gotta say, I miss Vista. Gonna be installing Vista Ultimate 64bit once I get my E7200 installed.

Vista + large music collection = sex.

peat moss
07-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I still prefer XP pro , I think it's faster on my systems . I'm using XP Indego 9 on one computer and Black XP 19 on the other .

I wonder if its the performance tweak that's included ?

PERFORMANCE TWEAK: CORE OS & KERNAL RUNNING IN RAM

Bassi2o
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
xp ftw ;)

Snee
07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
I still prefer XP pro , I think it's faster on my systems . I'm using XP Indego 9 on one computer and Black XP 19 on the other .

I wonder if its the performance tweak that's included ?

PERFORMANCE TWEAK: CORE OS & KERNAL RUNNING IN RAM

I never liked those home-hacked things, preferring to know exactly what alterations I've made myself.

You can do that sort of thing on any xp, though. Lookie here: http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html (scroll down a bit).

Found a few sites for tweaking Vista as well. Here's one: http://www.tweakvista.com/VistaPerformanceTweaks.aspx (not seen any reviews of it, and can't be arsed going through everything, so use at your own peril). And don't bother with the utility on there, just those articles.

fOrUmAs
07-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I have been is same situacion like u.

For few months i have used Vista and it was good (not many problems also) untill one day i started to ask my self why i really need vista for so much??

there was also some programs that still havent work with vista yet even tho vista was out abouth year and half...then i have started to get some errors with my video card bla bla so this was very good time to go back to my favorite OS ever XP,and just in than time(one or two week later) SP3 was released and i have no more reasone to go back vista..

now im on dual boot XP and Ubuntu, so next time when i will use new windows it will be windows 7..

even Bill Gates said vista is not that great

peat moss
07-18-2008, 03:01 PM
@ Snee , ya I knew some of those tricks from the first link and use them religiously, as for the other are they the same people as Tweak XP ?

I know it helps that I have a dual quad and 3 gb of ram but still tweak and use programs like Windowblinds and Styler to give my computer a personal feel .

yevgeny
07-19-2008, 08:31 AM
go back to xp install nod32 v3 and sygate firewall debug build. xp seems more prone to malware/advertising trojans. i find vista too annoying for that to be a reason to use it. although if the problem is with the activation; get one of the monthly releases of vista from the usual places. the activation patch works flawlessly.

revolution
07-19-2008, 11:15 AM

Snee
07-19-2008, 10:52 PM
@ Snee , ya I knew some of those tricks from the first link and use them religiously, as for the other are they the same people as Tweak XP ?

No idea, tbh.

jeymacel
07-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I strongly recommend you to use microsoft windows sp2 Student variant of ETH0

nthpeter
07-20-2008, 10:38 AM
xp is perfect for me, but i like the vista design, maybe windows 7 will be better than these.

clocker
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
This poll is idiotic and some of the responses are even worse ("Vista sucks"...oh yeah, that's helpful).

First, basing your impressions on an admittedly "non-legit", cracked copy of the OS is silly...what did you expect?
Second, you didn't mention your PC specs or what you intend on doing with the machine, so how can anyone pretend to give pertinent advice?

silent h3ro
07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I think if you have at least 3 or 4 gigs of memory then you won't see much of a difference between XP and Vista. Also, Vista is more stable than XP.

cope123
07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
send vista out and stay with xp!

Snee
07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Second, you didn't mention your PC specs or what you intend on doing with the machine, so how can anyone pretend to give pertinent advice?

Hoi, I tried :dabs:

rtxs
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
if you have a good pc use vista (special for games)

if you have a pc with low ram use xp

silent h3ro
07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I just ordered a DX 10 card off eBay and now I'm going to finally make a permanent switch to Vista but I'm going to need more memory lol :(.

peat moss
07-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I just ordered a DX 10 card off eBay and now I'm going to finally make a permanent switch to Vista but I'm going to need more memory lol :(.

Well as we all know that' s what keeps driving the computer hardware industry , new , better stuff for gamers that only works with Vista . Not ! There's third party groups still trying to port DX 10 to XP with not very good results ..yet .

Its coming tho time will time . I'v yet to find a hard core gamer running Vista , at lest with most of the online games like Final Fantasy 12 or WOW .

KennyX
07-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Dual boot, keep both.

edit: wait a minute, this is not the BT forum, how did I get here?

Technix
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
XP ofc

silent h3ro
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
@ peat moss - I checked benchmarks on google first and I found this (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2302495,00.asp) and this (http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8528&Itemid=39) which inspired me a little to switch, and DX10. The difference in the benchmarks are not big enough to make me want to stick with XP.

AuthorityC
07-24-2008, 05:15 PM
what an unequivocal answer.

mr. nails
08-02-2008, 07:48 PM

i vote this. if ur pc is so under hardwared then just go back to win95. vista runs great and i for one have NO problems with it.

messiaah
08-03-2008, 08:25 AM
yeaa vista suckss as of now till they do something abt it

clocker
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Can you list five reasons you think this is so?

peat moss
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM

I can give you a couple , Final Fantasy 11 , and the annoying security pop ups I can never seem to get rid of . I found XP Pro faster on my system .

I'm D/L Vista 32bit Black Edition 2009 SP1 as I type , thought I'd try after my failed XP 64 experiment .

Quote :

This Operating system is purely designed from Genuine Vista Ultimate by Benjamin. It will be more comfortable, faster and reliable when compared to other vista operating systems. All the error which the user faced in vista ultimate are fixed and tweaked. New hot fixes, updates and the Vista SP1 package are integrated. All the dream scene packs are activated. The Dolby digital plugins are also integrated for more fun with musics. New windows sounds, New Gadgets, New Login screen, New Default theme and more…. You can install any hardware without any problem, all the hardware errors are fixed. Just install this Black Edition 2009 and start your work. No need of installing any 3rd party softwares by searching the CD’s or DVD’s. All the softwares which you need to run quickly after installing a OS are inside.

clocker
08-03-2008, 04:19 PM

I can give you a couple , Final Fantasy 11 , and the annoying security pop ups I can never seem to get rid of .
Although I'm not familiar with the game, within five minutes Google turned up any number of workarounds/patches to enable FF11 in Vista.
Disabling UAC seems to remove the security popups...I haven't seen one in months.

#Palestinian#
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
About "annoying security pop ups" u can disable it from control panel the go to accounts/users , from their choose ur acc , I think u should turn off the last option (I don't remember cause i deleted vista and re-installed win XP sp3 ).

I think ur problem will be solved after doing that. And by the way , windows vista is so much complex .

peat moss
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
@ clocker , ya I tried a few patches . It was for a fellow member Redhead68,my workmate . We tried everything to no avail and she is so impatient . She formatted three times yesterday , Win XP 64 , Black XP and a clean XP pro w/sp2 . She thought the last one one worked best out of the box with new ATI drivers .

Hey what are you going to do , if a gamer you have to jump thru hoops . Luckly all I play is old card games or some Gamehouse puzzle type games .

@Palestian, yep tried that but after a win update it still bothered me . Good be I had a dodgey install disk .....

Chewie
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
@ clocker , ya I tried a few patches . It was for a fellow member Redhead68,my workmate . We tried everything to no avail and she is so impatient . She formatted three times yesterday , Win XP 64 , Black XP and a clean XP pro w/sp2 . She thought the last one one worked best out of the box with new ATI drivers .

Hey what are you going to do , if a gamer you have to jump thru hoops . Luckly all I play is old card games or some Gamehouse puzzle type games .

@Palestian, yep tried that but after a win update it still bothered me . Good be I had a dodgey install disk .....
Hey peat, try the reg hacks in this attached rar.
UAC_off.reg and UAC_on.reg do what you'd expect and Uac_Notify_OFF.reg turns off only the notification bubble for UAC being off (so other notifications still work).

peat moss
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Hey peat, try the reg hacks in this attached rar.
UAC_off.reg and UAC_on.reg do what you'd expect and Uac_Notify_OFF.reg turns off only the notification bubble for UAC being off (so other notifications still work).

Ah thanks for your trouble friend that's awesome but just installed Win XP Black again . Still waiting to finish my Vista Black D/L so will save this . :fst:

tesco
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Peat all you need to do, and I've done this on every vista instalaltion i've ever done and it worked fine, is go into control panel -> user accounts -> and click disable user account control, then restart.

whip22
08-07-2008, 03:25 PM
my opinion, wait for windows 7; they say it's vista, just better speeds and stuff. XP runs all apps too so yea. Did you buy vista though? have you tried dual booting?

silent h3ro
08-07-2008, 11:04 PM
@ peat moss - What is Vista Black? I've heard of XP Black but I've never understood what that was either.

seedman
08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, my Vista machines run fine.

peat moss
08-09-2008, 01:17 AM
@ peat moss - What is Vista Black? I've heard of XP Black but I've never understood what that was either.

Its a Tweaked or slip streamed Dvd that people make and share . Some are Windows XP Pro , Vista or Gamer Tweaked . Cracked no need to insert keys or fumble for driver disks and back up software cd's and best part unintended install .

Not for everyone as they may have out dated software or loaded with Malware and Trojan's . People just name like Black, Royal or Johnny's Disk . :D

I'm using Black XP 19 .Comes with a 4.6 gb bonus disk , Sp3 patches from June 08 on the disk . I just find them easy to use as I work on friends computers and find it faster .

clocker
08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Cracked no need to insert keys or fumble for driver disks and back up software cd's and best part unintended install .

Isn't that the definition of a trojan?

darkeyes
08-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Vista Is too much better than xp

Am0MuK
08-09-2008, 06:44 PM
:naughty: Stay better on XP and you'll be Cool

S!X
08-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Little Update.

A little while after I started this thread, I installed the latest vista ultimate SP1 integrated release and just today I checked to see if it was still activated and it says that I have 2 days to do so. For some stupid reason these boot loaders that exist for vista don't wanna work for me, so I'm going back to my legit XP pro.Vista is nothing but a pain in the ass.

i vote this. if ur pc is so under hardwared then just go back to win95. vista runs great and i for one have NO problems with it.

My comp is more then capable of running vista, but with 1GB of ram it's not worth it.

clocker
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
My comp is more then capable of running vista, but with 1GB of ram it's not worth it.
No, it's not.
Vista needs 2GB min. and preferably, 4GB.

dr jones
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
i have tried vista yet,but i heard it really bad,so go back to xp

clocker
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
You're kidding, right?

Waiakea
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
most games and apps still use xp

Chewie
08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
You're kidding, right?Who can tell? I'm not even sure it's English.

most games and apps still use xpIn what way do they use XP?

lolfst
08-12-2008, 01:24 AM
no need for vista IMO - no major improvements over XP

ownzit
08-12-2008, 02:43 AM
I didn't think i would like vista much as well.. but it seem to have grown on me.. not too bad.

JenSenCO
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
i wont go to vista in the near future because xp suits just fine for me :)

SubFlow
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Ouch... I'm kinda late in this. Still, I've been using Vista since it first came out and it really has come a far way. Didn't seem like anything was working last year and now, pretty much everything works flawlessly. My recommendation is that you partition your hard drive. Run XP on one and Vista on the other. That's what I do... don't really use XP much but it makes me feel a little safer. =P

clocker
08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
i wont go to vista in the near future because xp suits just fine for me :)
Bet you said the same thing about ME...

tejaspaiowns
08-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Well I would always prefer XP , but that's just my opinion :)

peat moss
08-16-2008, 03:36 AM
I 'v tried a few different O/S in the last few months everything from Vista 32 , 64 bit , Ubuntu 8.04 and Win Pro 64 . Just trying to test my setup is all and found many good things from start up times to Security issues , gaming too .

I found that Xp Pro works best for me , I v got it tweaked looks like Vista and quite happy . Have tried Windows 7 Beta and look forward to it , Vista no not interested right now if ever . Keep in mind just my humble opinion .

Ah I know you guys and girls are getting sick of my pro Xp Pro posts but just warming up to tackle my Playstation 3 and Yellow Dog trials . That is just a neat idea , sure I'll fuck up something tho . :D

haoran
08-16-2008, 08:50 AM
send vista out and stay with xp.
me too:)

Peanut
08-16-2008, 07:30 PM
has down XP will already be the greatest ^^

strjms72
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes, I think the poll will be with XP, I would switch back to xp

erickproi
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Now the xp is very good then see that wave with vista

clocker
08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Now the xp is very good then see that wave with vista
My thoughts exactly.

Eargasm
08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Just switch to Ubuntu.

respawn40
08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
XP and Ubuntu > Vista

silent h3ro
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Vista is not as bad as everyone is saying it is. SP1 fixed most of its problems.

niaz333
08-21-2008, 01:54 AM
hello

thanks for your good job. I used in windows xp. This is great . It also work smoothly. I all time poll by xp. Because XP is the best.

thanks

shutdk
08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Stick with XP if you want full perfomance. That's what I've done

peat moss
08-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Stick with XP if you want full perfomance. That's what I've done

I think that's the problem , we get bored and think there's something better out there . I keep coming back to XP Pro after trying a few different ones , wish Vista had some thing better to offer than memory allotment and Directx 10 tho .

I'm debating trying WinXP Borg 64 , just want to find an O/S that uses 64 bit and I could see a big improvement in multitasking other than showing my memory as 4 gb rather than 3.25 gb . I have over 8 gb of ddr2 ram just sitting here in a draw screaming to be used ....

I think that's my point I can't really see a better preforming o/s than XP for what I do . Simple browsing ,downloading , converting , burning movies and playing my card game at the same time . :lol:

niks1101
08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I switched to Ubuntu recently and I'm really happy with it, been running it for about a month now and really do think this time it's ready for mass non uber techie users.

I've had a little Linux experience from a previous job and the last time I decided to switch was about 2003 and it just wasn't ready as a dedicated desktop replacement, too much faffing about and instability.

This time it's just about there, and the 3D effects are awesome ;)

snakebite
08-31-2008, 10:56 AM

Yep that would be the best idea ever to get rid of Vista and goto back to Windows Xp Pro Sp3 it rocks.....I just purchase a new Computer and told them to stick Vista where the Sun don't shine and give my Xp Pro it cost me a few extra dollars but it was worth it.

Overlord
08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
I love Vista, I could not imagine going back to XP at this point. The only non-legit releases people should use are BIE's.

xxNARCOxx
09-02-2008, 07:52 PM
If you can get a working Vista key, then stay with Vista IMO.

mrbear
10-25-2008, 04:44 AM
XP is my choice, vista use many resource in your computer so if you don't have a good processor and graphic card,don't use it, my advice is if you want to use a "beautifull" OS, try macintos, throw vista away

peat moss
10-25-2008, 03:59 PM
XP is my choice, vista use many resource in your computer so if you don't have a good processor and graphic card,don't use it, my advice is if you want to use a "beautifull" OS, try macintos, throw vista away

I like your style my friend as I 'v tried most O/S but still use a tricked version of XP called Black 23. I'v argued with IT people , computer wizards all the time about what to use .

People complain that the modded version's have a virus or too bloated bla bla . Bullshit as you only install what you want or like me make your own using Nlite and someone else's hard work . I can make computer look like what ever I like on any given day Vista , Mac , Linux pick your poison .

I get pissed off when A friend pays a lot of money for a new computer be it lap or desk top and they say oh sorry but you must use Vista . Fuck Off

Only thing that worries me is facial recognition as XP might not work with that . There is a Vista Black tho but I found it lacking for gaming .

BubbAblack
10-25-2008, 04:49 PM
i would use xp sp3

yoco
10-27-2008, 12:36 PM
XP still owns!

pingusso
10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
I had so much trouble with vista so far, im keeping it because of dx10, but i miss XP...

mwang27
11-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I agree about the preference issue, but Vista just seems unnecessarily bogged down with the same things that XP uses but that are fancier.

vlada
11-13-2008, 07:15 AM
i use xp for me now it is better my pc works cool with it

callas
11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I like vista, but you must have a new, powerful computer.

Tomi
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I've had good experiences with Vista as well, if you're working with 64bit you might as well stick with it until Windows 7 is released.

DannyGnXz
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
While Vista does look pretty, all of those gadgets come at a cost, system performance. I personally prefer Xp over Vista, though some PC games do look & perform better on Vista. BUT XP is stable as a rock and you can costumize it to look like Vista without bogging down your resources.

vobilli
11-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I recently switched to Vista myself and I absolutely regret it. I haven't had too many huge issues (I lucked out) and it's kinda pretty, but I won't be reinstalling it after my next format. There's just too much headache involved with a new OS.. I'll stick with what I know next time around.

digmen1
11-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I think it depends on your machine and what you use it for.

I have Vista on my new laptop for business use and its great.
But I have kept XP on my main machine (d/l movies editing etc) because I do not want any upgrading issues.

The reason I think Vista has not taken off is that for many it offers very few new features. The only ones I can see is the file pathway that it shows at the top of folder windows (very handy) and the gadgets which can be cool.

Regards
Digby

natedogg
11-30-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't see whats so wrong with vista, I never have problems

vpg8000
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah my comp was so screwed with Vista that I uninstalled it and went back to XP. No regrets.

digmen1
12-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Yeah my comp was so screwed with Vista that I uninstalled it and went back to XP. No regrets.

Yeah but what was screwed and why ? what were the machines specs ?

iM32
12-07-2008, 08:13 AM
I user XP for 3 years. few months ago I started to use vista. There are some issues with vista but anyway I prefer it. so vista for me!

r3volut1onx
12-07-2008, 09:57 AM
my oppinion is that vista sucks... the best is still xp

piku
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
XP is better than Vista in my opinion regarding the stability.