PDA

View Full Version : nfs or ssh on a seedbox

asymmetric
07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
hi!

i was thinking of getting a seedbox on a vps (dedicated ones are too expensive or unavailable in my country), but what has stopped me so far is the thought of having to download things twice..

but if i could forward X sessions via ssh, or - even better - mount shares via NFS, i could spare me the hassle and "stream" content to my local pc..

does anyone know if this is a possibility?

companies may be blocking ports, but other than that, if they let me install what i want, there should be no problem..

thanks
asy

c0njur
07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
hi!

i was thinking of getting a seedbox on a vps (dedicated ones are too expensive or unavailable in my country), but what has stopped me so far is the thought of having to download things twice..

but if i could forward X sessions via ssh, or - even better - mount shares via NFS, i could spare me the hassle and "stream" content to my local pc..

does anyone know if this is a possibility?

companies may be blocking ports, but other than that, if they let me install what i want, there should be no problem..

thanks
asy

If your home connection had the bandwidth to stream content you wouldnt need a seedbox ;) (although music might work)

I would advise against getting a VPS. Hosting companies dont like users monopolizing a server's shared resources; most have a policy against BT as well. Dreamhost deleted my bittorrent directory less than a week after I installed it (the loadavg was reaching 6)

asymmetric
07-17-2008, 09:09 AM
while i have only tried this on my LAN, streaming a movie takes ~ 1MBps, and my ADSL connection can definitely handle that..

the true problem is UL bandwidth, which is at a ridiculous 1Mbps, and on that side a seedbox would definitely be an improvement