PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent Encryption Doesn't Really Work?

Elecktricity
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm with Virgin Media http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/smilies/dry.gif and i'm using uTorrent 1.7.7 and I have ticked the use encryption box but still my speeds get messed about with and they drop like crazy after a few hours seeding/downloading. Does it actually work or is there a better method?

SgtMajor
07-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Yes - it works.

But it is only 1 factor out of many factors that affect your overall speed.

Number of peers and length of time of torrent, traffic shaping by your ISP, other utorrent settings, OS settings, time of day, experience in knowing what works best on your machine, many others yet to be assessed etc.

Just to mention encryption as a factor and expect us to give reasonable knowledgeable responses is over ambitious to say the least.

Have you ever set up your utorrent preferences to suit your line speeds for instance?

xenix
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
It dont says "disk overloaded" or something like that in utorrent? Dont know exactly what it says in english because my utorrent is in swedish but if it says something like that i know your problem and can help you=)

jam0980tr
07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
cap your download speed see if that improves your utorrent.

Elecktricity
07-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes - it works.

But it is only 1 factor out of many factors that affect your overall speed.

Number of peers and length of time of torrent, traffic shaping by your ISP, other utorrent settings, OS settings, time of day, experience in knowing what works best on your machine, many others yet to be assessed etc.

Just to mention encryption as a factor and expect us to give reasonable knowledgeable responses is over ambitious to say the least.

Have you ever set up your utorrent preferences to suit your line speeds for instance?

I ran a speed test when I first got uTorrent and I matched it to the speed setup panel so I think that is ok. Hmmm I have DHT enabled I believe and I hear alot of people say switch that off not sure though.

Nemrod
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I have DHT enabled I believe and I hear alot of people say switch that off not sure though.

In some sites that is enough reason for instant banning. :huh:

jasperr
07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
thats because it allows peeps that aren't on the tracker to snatch that torrent from you also.. so in essence it unsecured..

Elecktricity
07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Never really understood what DHT is all about...How do I switch it off?

Duckater
07-17-2008, 05:14 PM
right click at bottom where it says dht and options are there to disable it

KaySterling
07-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Options -> Preference -> Bittorrent -> Untick both DHT boxes. Done. DHT disabled.

Edit; Or you can do it as the above poster wrote.

Nemrod
07-17-2008, 05:20 PM

DHT allows the client you use to find peers outside the tracker you are at. You are sending data and info to only God knows who.

SgtMajor
07-17-2008, 05:22 PM

Jeesh, and you are already chasing FTN, and yet you can't even secure your own, and the site's you are on, data.

It is going to be a long & bumpy ride to enlightenment :D

You should try reading some of the tut's we have here, some are int he seedbox sub-forum, you will be all the better for it and will at least understand why settings are important in utorrent on private sites.

Elecktricity
07-17-2008, 05:23 PM

DHT allows the client you use to find peers outside the tracker you are at. You are sending data and info to only God knows who.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/smilies/ohmy.gif Glad I have turned it off then!!! It's just on by default when I installed uTorrent and not know what it was I just didn't want to mess with it. Will it help speed up my torrents any now Im not sending out shit

Nemrod
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM

:ohmy: Glad I have turned it off then!!! It's just on by default when I installed uTorrent and not know what it was I just didn't want to mess with it. Will it help speed up my torrents any now Im not sending out shit

At least your trackers will count everything you really upload.
I donīt think it will increase your speed in a notorious way, though.
Itīs normal that speeds decrease after some hours... more seeders and less leechers, if you have not a fast line youīll be in disadvantage in relation with users with seedboxes or faster lines.

Cabalo
07-17-2008, 05:45 PM
if u have problems with traffic shaping, I'd strongly suggest switching to azureus, as their encryption is not throttled by most ISP s.

deadalive1
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Jeesh, and you are already chasing FTN, and yet you can't even secure your own, and the site's you are on, data.

lol, I really do enjoy your analogy of certain users and situations. Thanks for making me laugh today rofl :D:lol:

respawn40
07-17-2008, 05:54 PM
if u have problems with traffic shaping, I'd strongly suggest switching to azureus, as their encryption is not throttled by most ISP s.

Is that really true :O?

Elecktricity
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM

lol, I really do enjoy your analogy of certain users and situations. Thanks for making me laugh today rofl :D:lol:

What is funny about a decent guy looking for a little community spirit getting cyber bullied?

lol :D:lol:

Nemrod
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
What is funny about a decent guy looking for a little community spirit getting cyber bullied?

Thatīs the tax n00bs have to pay here. :lol:

deadalive1
07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Because you are here a whole what, 10 posts? and all over F*N threads basically begging for an invite, yet didn't know what DHT was or at least it's function. I would take the suggestion from SgtMajor and read up on how the torrent world and their clients work, if anything the knowledge you gain will lead you where you want to be in the future.