PDA

View Full Version : most user classes are outdated and lame

dunson
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
1) The bw levels for user classes are outdated when seedboxes are used so often. A TB is the highest class on most sites and that takes less than a month if you really want it. And if you are stuck with under 100kb/s upload, get with it.
2) The privileges are nothing special. OMGZ an NFO file! Maybe a forum!
3) 15/18/20 weeks? Ok that's not really even that long a time commitment. Why not go by months or years to distinguish real users of the site?

Maybe it should be either time or upload/ratio. Otherwise the whole thing just doesn't really make sense for either seedbox users or slow speed home users.

But actually I think there should be no classes, because there is no real extra benefit for using the site. Check the top 10 uploaders on many sites and most of them have under 10 comments and forum posts. What are they contributing to the site really? A Gbit connection is all.

The Flying Cow
07-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Spoken like a true horseman.

Frankly I think the classes are only there for title/userbar-boasting.

The "benefits" are usually superficial.

I think the time-bomb idea (implemented in FTN) is perfect. Because if it were just up to speed, people can get 1TB in a week if they work hard at it.

IMO I like TL in that it has no other class than PU. Over 1.0 and that's that. And you get all those "privileges" in one package.

-Sherman

IdolEyes787
07-18-2008, 12:49 PM
User classes were obviously intended to reward good members but like you said this isn't always the case.
Stoi said that on BCG they were trying to think up another system besides how much a person is able to upload because it excludes committed people who just don't have the speed.I'm all for that.
If anyone has a good idea this would be a perfect opportunity to post it.

bblogs
07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Obviously tracker coding will become outdated, the bittorrent world moves incredibly fast. I remember only months ago I was told by TDC admin on IRC that a freeleech tracker would have no hope of survival. Now every new tracker is at www.freeleech4urmum.net or similar :blink:

tX
07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
What.cd has decent userclasses

Highest is Torrentmaster - 500gb of up(a lot for what.cd) and 500 torrents uploaded

fOrUmAs
07-18-2008, 01:04 PM
well not every tracker have the same userclasses,many have different one..

Big sites like RevTT,TL,Bitsoup are to lazy to change something abouth that

well there was some talk(RevTT) abouth adding new class but nothing

ScT,SCA(SCC),FTN,FSC ect ect have more classes

but at the end i dont really care about that as long i can download torrent :P

integral
07-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree, user classes are a bit outdated. The most common "innovation" concerning user classes I've seen lately are just new classes with 1TB+ upload requirements. At the least I think these types of user classes should be determined by a mix of upload and download count, since I think it'll lessen the buffering phenomenon.

However, with most trackers being very basic and having little variation from each other coding-wise, I think implementing more creative user classes with worthy privileges and perks is kind of tough.

The Flying Cow
07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
SweDVDR has a new ultimate class, the Almighty User or something along those lines. This new class requires I think something like 2 or 4TB uploaded, and a certain downloaded amount with is also in those high spheres.
Interestingly it also requires you to browse the page at least 20 or 30 minutes a day, to override script kiddies and automatons.

That is certainly a more well-thought-out class IMO.

-Sherman

Nemrod
07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
The ideal place for me would have no user classes. A X months probation for new users, and then only uploaders and staff would have a different rank.
The goodies or special privileges for some users would be determined by many factors like overall participation, activity in tracker and forums, helping aptitude, etc. Never cold numbers per se.

SgtMajor
07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Promotion should always be dependant on equal download as well as upload for that class, you can upload more of course, but if the amount is 500GB for promotion, then it has to be 500GB downed as well.

The highest promotion should be available only after 1 year membership, with proper benefits even if it's just upload rights.

And any tracker that requires a ratio of 2 or more needs their head checking, I saw one this week that required a ratio of 4+ for a certain high class promotion - that is just plain crazy, that means you have to steal mega BW from those less fortunate to be able to seed well in order just to get a promotion, not the best way to run a tracker for ALL its members.

As for levelling the field between seedbox users & non-seedbox users, I'll have to think about that, maybe bronze, silver & gold members for seeding habits, and stars for forum habits?

LoKaLiRi
07-18-2008, 01:42 PM
the bigger tracker - have a lot of members - have the same user classes , user , PU , etc ...

but the rarest trackers , they have special classes :)

Duckater
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Promotion should always be dependant on equal download as well as upload for that class, you can upload more of course, but if the amount is 500GB for promotion, then it has to be 500GB downed as well.

The highest promotion should be available only after 1 year membership, with proper benefits even if it's just upload rights.

And any tracker that requires a ratio of 2 or more needs their head checking, I saw one this week that required a ratio of 4+ for a certain high class promotion - that is just plain crazy, that means you have to steal mega BW from those less fortunate to be able to seed well in order just to get a promotion, not the best way to run a tracker for ALL its members.

As for levelling the field between seedbox users & non-seedbox users, I'll have to think about that, maybe bronze, silver & gold members for seeding habits, and stars for forum habits?
Not a bad idea and may help git rid of some of the totally free leech sites as would be no down load stats recorded against the member :)

buggyfresh
07-18-2008, 03:43 PM
For low badnwidth users seeding [u]time[/] is as good a measure of commitment as seeding amount esp on torrents with few peers..

Swift
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
promotion time would be nice to increase but the amount of upload should stay the same

zedex
07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
IMO I like TL in that it has no other class than PU. Over 1.0 and that's that. And you get all those "privileges" in one package.

-Sherman

+1 best idea ever

Ghostbusters
07-18-2008, 06:17 PM
I quite like the ScT user classes, there's a fair bit of a challenge in there to hit them all, of course with a seedbox, steely determination & dedication to the cause they are still achievable, I'm on course for "ScT lover"

Power User Must have been be a member for at least 3 weeks, have uploaded at least 50GB and have a ratio at or above 1.05.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 0.95 at any time.

Xtreme User Must have been be a member for at least 5 weeks, have uploaded at least 250GB and have a ratio at or above 1.2.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 1.1 at any time.

ScT Lover Must have been be a member for at least 10 weeks, have uploaded at least 500GB and have a ratio at or above 1.5.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 1.4 at any time.

ScT Whore Must have been be a member for at least 15 weeks, have uploaded at least 1TB and have a ratio at or above 2.0.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 1.9 at any time.

ScT Super Whore Must have been be a member for at least 20 weeks, have uploaded at least 3TB and have a ratio at or above 3.0.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 2.9 at any time.

ScT Seed Whore Must have been be a member for at least 25 weeks, have uploaded at least 6TB and have a ratio at or above 4.0.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 3.9 at any time.

c0njur
07-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm going to go in a different direction from most of your comments and say I think a high ratio/upload amount should be encouraged, as it increases the download speed of the site. An ideal system would vary the minimum required ratio in accordance with the seed-to-leech ratio as well as overall amount uploaded.

ex. The more users that have TBs of upload and high ratios the lower the min required ratio for other users.

That way, those with seedboxes can buffer to their hearts content, which will help the site, and those with slow connection wont feel sqeezed out if they cant upload enough.

IdolEyes787
07-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I quite like the ScT user classes, there's a fair bit of a challenge in there to hit them all, of course with a seedbox, steely determination & dedication to the cause they are still achievable, I'm on course for "ScT lover"

ScT Whore Must have been be a member for at least 15 weeks, have uploaded at least 1TB and have a ratio at or above 2.0.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 1.9 at any time.

ScT Super Whore Must have been be a member for at least 20 weeks, have uploaded at least 3TB and have a ratio at or above 3.0.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 2.9 at any time.

ScT Seed Whore Must have been be a member for at least 25 weeks, have uploaded at least 6TB and have a ratio at or above 4.0.
The promotion is automatic when these conditions are met. Note that you will be automatically demoted from this status if your ratio drops below 3.9 at any time.

It also states this
"Give others a chance to seed. If your ratio on a single torrent is already above 1:1, you should give others the chance to seed too. Overseeding will only make it hard or even impossible for others to keep a good ratio"

How many of the people higher classes do you think are adhering to that suggestion?
Because it's pretty impossible to stop at 1:1 of the requirements state you need 3:1 or 4:1
It also ensures people with the very best connections always going to monopolize the torrents.
If ScT is going to keep the upload requirements maybe they should think about making the ratio only 1.05 for all classes.
And I don't accept the argument that it's necessary for speed because I max out my download more on TL than ScT.

Ghostbusters
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM

It also states this
"Give others a chance to seed. If your ratio on a single torrent is already above 1:1, you should give others the chance to seed too. Overseeding will only make it hard or even impossible for others to keep a good ratio"

How many of the people higher classes do you think are adhering to that suggestion?
Because it's pretty impossible to stop at 1:1 of the requirements state you need 3:1 or 4:1
It also ensures people with the very best connections always going to monopolize the torrents.
If ScT is going to keep the upload requirements maybe they should think about making the ratio only 1.05 for all classes.
And I don't accept the argument that it's necessary for speed because I max out my download more on TL than ScT.

I would agree that the ratio's required should be lowered especially on sites that have a high seeder to leecher ratio to give everyone a chance but even when I just had a shitty 50kbps upload I always kept my ratio around 3 or 4 anyway, but hey thats just me.

stoi
07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
this is 1 thing that we have been scratching our heads over for a long time.

1 problem is, E-Penis, if e make someone on a 30KBs upload thats got a 1:1 ratio on the site, the same as someone thats got 3+ ratio with 1TB uploaded, would the one with the buffer still seed with his seedbox for no extra benefit.

What we are finding on BCG, is no one wants to leech, for fear of getting put down a class or 2, because SP can only bring you up to a 1 ratio after all.

so its catch 22, we want a fast site with fast downloads, even on torrents that are 200+ days old, but we also want members to download as well. and not just those on slow connections downloading either.

we will come up with something or other eventually, but we have other things planned, that are not related to this which are taking priority.

1000possibleclaws
07-18-2008, 07:33 PM

It also states this

alot are probably getting their buffers from the freeleech packs. I'm more than happy to have them ruin my potential ratio on an old Lost pack for example, because it's freeleech anyways, so we're both getting what we want. Maybe I don't understand from your perspective though, because I do use a seedbox as well on ScT to keep my ratio healthy

Swift
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
even if you are a super mega extra seeder ( 1-2-3-5 .. et TB ) you still are a user and have the same privilage like a 4 gb user :D from my point of you

IdolEyes787
07-18-2008, 07:51 PM
My preceptive is I got a seedbox before I became a member of ScT.
I'm idealistic not stupid.

Squizzle
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
1) The bw levels for user classes are outdated when seedboxes are used so often. A TB is the highest class on most sites and that takes less than a month if you really want it. And if you are stuck with under 100kb/s upload, get with it.
3) 15/18/20 weeks? Ok that's not really even that long a time commitment. Why not go by months or years to distinguish real users of the site?

Maybe it should be either time or upload/ratio. Otherwise the whole thing just doesn't really make sense for either seedbox users or slow speed home users.

But actually I think there should be no classes, because there is no real extra benefit for using the site. Check the top 10 uploaders on many sites and most of them have under 10 comments and forum posts. What are they contributing to the site really? A Gbit connection is all.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

That said, user classes make people feel more special, help enforce a hierarchy in torrent sites, and give users something to aim for. I'd say that's their main purpose, even if the end result and even the means of getting there (seeding a few gigs, lurking a few weeks) is lame and out of date.

Cabalo
07-18-2008, 09:53 PM
TL has the best ranking. PU and that's it. And the fact is that it is the private tracker around with more activity. It explains a lot.

F.B.I
07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
It's a yes from me Dunson.

My seedbox needs new objectives.

`Dr. Nick Riviera`
07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I agree with sgtmajor... Ratio requirement 4+ is absurd unless the tracker has a lot of freeleech torrents...

Nemrod
07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I agree with sgtmajor... Ratio requirement 4+ is absurd unless the tracker has a lot of freeleech torrents...

I agree, it would be absurd, regular users with no fast line connections would have it really difficult... but as every rule, this one would have its exception.:)

TP635
07-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Ratio of 4+ as requirement for class user is OK only if there are enough FL torrents floating around. Let us be real guys; your speed means nothing if there is no one to leech from your box.

mrnobody
07-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Ratio requirement should never be above 2, imo.

Nemrod
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM

Impossible, absolutely impossible, with a 2:1 ratio there would be a lot of people banned... the perfect ratio itīs 1:1, only so itīs secured that everybody can download and seed in the same amount, any other based strictly in up/down sacrifices users.

mrnobody
07-18-2008, 11:50 PM
<2 ratio thingy was in context to the post above mine.

in other words, i was refering to ratio requirement for particular userclass NOT for the whole site.

SgtMajor
07-18-2008, 11:56 PM
FL Torrents should (theoretically & morally) only be used for slow pipe members to help them build ratio, phat pipers certainly don't need it, but they are the ones that jump on them as soon as and rape the BW dry. <holds ones hands up, been there and done it, with experience comes knowledge and thinking back what a silly tw@t I once was> But that next promotion depended on me giving back 3 or 4 times what I had downloaded, and I was getting stuff I didn't want but jumped on them to get to the next level, did I care about others, no - not a jot!!

Having a ratio requirement above 1.11 doesn't benefit all the members, all should be given the same chance to get torrents back to 1 if possible, and it would certainly diminish the buffer whores mentality if we could get trackers and their staff to realise this, and trades of hugely buffered accounts would disappear if stats above say ratio of 2 were ignored and not counted.

Remember, the basic premise of torrenting was taking 1GB and giving back 1GB and a bit and then moving on to the next torrent.

If we can change the mentality at grass roots, then we will all have a better torrenting experience for it.

There are always exceptions, and one of them will be long term seeding of your favourite torrents for your favourite trackers (adopt a torrent day), but I'm sure that can be worked in somehow.

Nemrod
07-19-2008, 12:19 AM
<2 ratio thingy was in context to the post above mine.

in other words, i was refering to ratio requirement for particular userclass NOT for the whole site.

My apologies then. :D

But you were very clear...

:01:

In that case, for higher levels exigence could be that number, but I insist that my ideal site wouldnīt have users class, except uploaders and staff, goodies and additional privileges should be given by staff taking in consideration many factors.
Except in honorable and very rare exceptions, today whoever with a seedbox has a huge advantage, only meaning that in the most of the cases that the user has money.

lukee
07-19-2008, 12:29 AM

Not a bad idea and may help git rid of some of the totally free leech sites as would be no down load stats recorded against the member :)

you sir, are retarted... FTN, one of the most desired trackers is completely freeleech.

Nemrod
07-19-2008, 12:32 AM

you sir, are retarted... FTN, one of the most desired trackers is completely freeleech.

Try to implant that system in the others trackers... in 30 days 90% of them disappear of the map.

TP635
07-19-2008, 03:05 AM
Ratio requirement above 1 (no FL or seeding bonus) help the tracker into forcing members to donate.

t1m3k33p3r
07-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Overseeding kills a tracker too sometimes. User classes were meant to encourage seeding, but apparently people with seedboxes just kill off the rest. That's why some people start valuing the forum more rather than the actual content of a tracker, but still, I agree with SgtMajor...FL should be for home connection users, not people with a 100 mbit seedbox.

Eargasm
07-19-2008, 03:34 AM
the bigger tracker - have a lot of members - have the same user classes , user , PU , etc ...

but the rarest trackers , they have special classes :)

Probably not because of the user classes, but the fact that those trackers actually do extra coding to improve their site. I'm more attracted to a site that is never finished coding.

Ghostbusters
07-19-2008, 04:31 AM
As long as you have the classic ratio system you will have ratio whore's period.

tknaught
07-19-2008, 04:49 AM
I like What.cd's promotion system. To get to Elite you need to upload 100 torrents, so you obviously can't just get there by whoring your seedbox. It gives people incentive to participate in adding music to the site.

For sites that don't have user uploads, I would like to see more systems that reward users for seeding torrents for a long time, rather than getting a huge ratio. That would help torrents stay alive longer and wouldn't discriminate between having a seedbox or home connection.

Ghostbusters
07-19-2008, 04:53 AM
I like What.cd's promotion system. To get to Elite you need to upload 100 torrents, so you obviously can't just get there by whoring your seedbox. It gives people incentive to participate in adding music to the site.

For sites that don't have user uploads, I would like to see more systems that reward users for seeding torrents for a long time, rather than getting a huge ratio. That would help torrents stay alive longer and wouldn't discriminate between having a seedbox or home connection.

Oh I never realised that everyday is a schoolday, I've got 89 uploads there gonna have to make the final push sometime :)

soulreaper
07-19-2008, 06:05 AM

First off,incredible post! Ty for bringing up this issue,really does need a look in imo.
For users with slow connections(and I mean really slow),PU is unachievable and maybe for seedbox users,it's a piece of cake. Perhaps userclasses should be based on membership period or forum posts or amount of torrents uploaded(although some sites allow only specially authorised users to upload,archive section maybe?). I also feel that having 5-6 different userclasses is lame.
PU, donors, uploaders and staff is enough imo.

soulreaper
07-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Double post,sorry.

Catcher
07-19-2008, 06:39 AM
I think that promotion should not be automatically.
I think that the staf should pick every month some qualified users to be promoted.

Sanka113
07-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Most trackers use the same tracker source and typically only modify the userclasses/rules/ etc. just enough to tailor it to their tracker. You've gotta give kudos for the trackers that actually put effort classifying user classes.

walkman79
07-20-2008, 08:05 AM
User Classes are meant to reward the good members. The seeders are the core of the bittorrent, people who seed 1TB have contributed a lot to the community even if they haven't been active on the forums. Seedboxes has a cost, they're not free. Besides, some of them are not english native speakers and that's why they are not active on forums.
User Classes are not only about status, I think it's a way for the staff to say thanks to the good members.
However, speed is not the only thing that should be rewarded. Some sites has created a bonus system which reward the users with some points if they seed for a certain period of time, those points can be traded for upload amount later. That's a way to reward users who still share but can't afford a seedbox. Some other sites reward the users who have donated, that's the only way for some people to keep a good ratio since they don't have access to seedboxes or they just don't know about them, so I'm not againts pay4leech. Furthermore, donators are the ones who keep alive their trackers.
I think getting invites by donation sucks, because you can't tell the members to not trade or sell something that already has a price, that's a contradiction IMHO.

integral
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I think getting invites by donation sucks, because you can't tell the members to not trade or sell something that already has a price, that's a contradiction IMHO.

That's not really a contradiction at all, but I personally think it's a good system, for example on ScT. The ethics of donating being the only real way newer members can get invites, except on special occasions are arguable, but think about it this way. An invite you're paying for is most likely worth more to you than an invite you got for free; you're not going to want to waste all that money on a bad user, or end up trading it for something, just to get banned and not get your money back.

stoi
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
buy the invite for 20 sell it for 100-400 on ebay.

you dont care who the hell you get in there as long as you make the profit.

I dont agree with "selling" invites at all.

Swift
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
maybe you sell the invite to some feds or some RIAA guy :rofl:

stoi
07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
The big problem is, its like reinventing the wheel. its been like this for that long, changing it may have dramatic effects.

Lets say we took it off ratio. Then members might just seed to 1:1 and not bother to seed for any longer, we could have 4000 torrents die overnight (we may not but its a risk). We have torrents on the tracker from 18 months ago, with double figure seeders on them, so all of those may die.

I am definately open to suggestions though that are not exploitable, as i agree, how hard is it to upload 25gig on a new 4 gig torrent with a SB, wait 4 weeks and your PU.

SgtMajor
07-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Go back a few years and try to think what the coders were thinking when the initial TB source was being written.

Might have to be a manual user class upgrade until the coders catch up, but seeing that it is so easy to reach PU as at today, why not include a torrents completed count (say 10 for basic PU, and doubling for each user class thereafter), and a forum post (which can be the one that asks for the user upgrade).

Torrents must be minimum of 1GB, must be complete 100% downloaded from site and seeded back in accordance with the rules.

Power Users of yesterday are not the same as at today, and like inflation adds costs year on year then the requirements need to change to meet what users can be expected to achieve to reach certain promotion levels.

However, it is up to sites to determine if they are happy with the current setup, but basing it on just an amount of data is an outdated requirement for sure.

stoi
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Well our SPU is like that.

15 completed torrents in their history, and no hit and runs, or very few anyway.

But its still not that hard to get for a new member.

ok someone thats been a member for 18 months, 600gig uploaded, 500gig downloaded, they are pretty much screwed to reach PU/SPU, but for a new member its a doddle.

integral
07-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Sgt summed up the need for manual innovations well. But if you don't want to be that progressive, you could always start smaller. As many have mentioned in this section before, user classes could require a minimum upload and download amount. Keeping these amounts close to each other could possibly discourage users from seeding one torrent to 600% or more.

Another possible innovation could be a point system, or merit. Each user class could have a point/merit requirement as well. Good behavior would result in a point, bad behavior results in a subtraction of points. A good behavior could be uploading a torrent, or seeding a torrent to 1:1. A bad behavior could be overseeding a torrent, hit&running, or maybe even partial seeding.

monk3y
07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
@dunson

i hear a lot of complaints but no suggestions to improve.

walkman79
07-20-2008, 05:36 PM
IMO User Classes mustn't be based on the download amount. Why? Because, beleive it or not, there are a lot users who are uploaders, they have scene access and they like to share their stuff with the masses. So, if someone has downloaded an old movie but uploaded a ton of new Telesyncs and DVDRips, he doesn't deserve to be rewarded???

There are many ways to contribute to your site:
- Seeding is the first way to contribute and it's a must
- Uploading and Providing new stuff
- Helping out people by Writing Tutorials, etc.
- Moderating on Forums and IRC

That's why some sites have created a Bonus system that rewards the users for certain activity, particularly for every seeding hour.

Btw, TTi has one of the best bonus system IMO.

integral
07-20-2008, 07:39 PM
IMO User Classes mustn't be based on the download amount. Why? Because, beleive it or not, there are a lot users who are uploaders, they have scene access and they like to share their stuff with the masses.

Uh, ever hear of Uploader class? Maybe I'm just in an annoyed/bad mood right now, or lately there's an abundance of people in the BitTorrent section who are astoundingly and horribly oblivious to the threads they post in, or the BitTorrent scene in general.

stoi
07-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I think what he means is,

To become an uploader, you usually have to become a PU first.

If trackers made PU on download, then those with Scene Axx will never be able to become uploaders, because they would never download from the tracker, just help seed whats already there.

But in my experience, if we get a PM to the staff box, saying, i have Sceneaxx and a Seedbox, then more often than not, they will get a trial at the uploader class just to see how they do. And more often than not, they are useless im afraid lol

SgtMajor
07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
But in my experience, if we get a PM to the staff box, saying, i have Sceneaxx and a Seedbox, then more often than not, they will get a trial at the uploader class just to see how they do. And more often than not, they are useless im afraid lol

I didn't even get as far as a trial :P

Ergo, I'm worse than useless :lol:

walkman79
07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I think what he means is,

To become an uploader, you usually have to become a PU first.

If trackers made PU on download, then those with Scene Axx will never be able to become uploaders, because they would never download from the tracker, just help seed whats already there.

Yeah thanks :)

colbert
07-21-2008, 01:56 AM
I like the what.cd user classes. To get Elite you need 100GB uploaded and 50 torrents uploaded. For TorrentMaster, 500GB and 500 torrents! It shows you need to do more than just whore out your seedbox or fast home connection. You actually have to contribute something to the community by uploading torrents. :)

stoi
07-21-2008, 02:00 AM
well thats great on a tracker that lets everyone upload, but sooner or later, every member is going to be a torrentmaster.

and we do not let everyone upload, so that is out of the question for us, because i very much doubt we will ever let everyone upload.

SgtMajor
07-21-2008, 02:16 AM
well thats great on a tracker that lets everyone upload, but sooner or later, every member is going to be a torrentmaster.

and we do not let everyone upload, so that is out of the question for us, because i very much doubt we will ever let everyone upload.

:lol: Sounds like you will never let everyone upload per chance? :P

I get it, I do :)

tknaught
07-21-2008, 04:58 AM

Actually out of 55,000+ users, they have 3 torrentmasters.

stoi
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmm i did say eventually.

and when every torrent on your tracker is 100meg, its pretty hard to get 100gig uploaded, thats 1000 torrents/albums you need to upload.

On BCG thats 15 360 games, a lot bloody different.

tknaught
07-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Hmm i did say eventually.

and when every torrent on your tracker is 100meg, its pretty hard to get 100gig uploaded, thats 1000 torrents/albums you need to upload.

On BCG thats 15 360 games, a lot bloody different.

The requirement for torrentmaster is 500GB, but it is also requires 500 torrents uploaded. It's the number of new torrents that makes it so challenging, as you can probably appreciate. It might be easy to push 500GB on a seedbox, but it's still very difficult to find 500 releases that are not on a popular site like what.cd or BCG.

stoi
07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Still the big difference is, they let everyone upload.

I am sure we will come up with something, tbh something has just popped in my head regarding this, so maybe in a couple of months there maybe another way lol

KennyX
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I saw this on TTi.

User Standard rules apply for this class. Please remember to keep your ratio higher than 0.5 to avoid a warning.

Power User Upload 50GB, ratio 1.05, member for 30 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

Pro User Upload 250GB, ratio 1.75, member for 50 days, demoted if you drop below 1.50 in ratio.

Elite User Upload 500GB, ratio 1.50, member for 80 days, demoted if you drop below 1.25 in ratio.

Legend Upload 1TB, ratio 1.05, member for 120 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

Hero Upload 10TB, ratio 1.05, member for 180 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

Superhero Upload 20TB, ratio 1.05, member for 240 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

20TB is pretty impressive.

SgtMajor
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I saw this on TTi.

User Standard rules apply for this class. Please remember to keep your ratio higher than 0.5 to avoid a warning.

Power User Upload 50GB, ratio 1.05, member for 30 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

Pro User Upload 250GB, ratio 1.75, member for 50 days, demoted if you drop below 1.50 in ratio.

Elite User Upload 500GB, ratio 1.50, member for 80 days, demoted if you drop below 1.25 in ratio.

Legend Upload 1TB, ratio 1.05, member for 120 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

Hero Upload 10TB, ratio 1.05, member for 180 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

Superhero Upload 20TB, ratio 1.05, member for 240 days, demoted if you drop below 0.95 in ratio.

What's more impressive is the ratio requirements, it's as it should be :yup:

What would be better if they were all set at 1.05 though, with an upper limit of 2.99 :cheers:

In other words, demoted if you go drop below 0.95 in ratio or go above 3.00 in ratio :w00t:

yevgeny
07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
http://thumbnails9.imagebam.com/980/fcfa649798244.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/fcfa649798244)

I think these ones are unique.

F.B.I
07-23-2008, 01:33 AM
http://thumbnails9.imagebam.com/980/fcfa649798244.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/fcfa649798244)

Where is that?

respawn40
07-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Where is that?

The Vortex.

tknaught
07-23-2008, 03:45 AM

They're pretty much the same as What.CD.

KennyX
07-23-2008, 04:04 AM
I saw this on TTi.

What would be better if they were all set at 1.05 though, with an upper limit of 2.99 :cheers:

In other words, demoted if you go drop below 0.95 in ratio or go above 3.00 in ratio :w00t:

Better still would be to redistribute the ratio whores excess upload. Once you reach 3.00 then your upload does not count and is given to users who need it more. It would force some activity from seedboxers on torrents that are not FL for example.

kooftspc11
07-23-2008, 04:14 AM

Better still would be to redistribute the ratio whores excess upload. Once you reach 3.00 then your upload does not count and is given to users who need it more. It would force some activity from seedboxers on torrents that are not FL for example.

that is actually a great idea :)

Funkin'
07-23-2008, 04:47 AM

That is an awesome idea.

stoi
07-23-2008, 04:58 AM
but you can get a 3 ratio in a lot of ways.

initial upload, seedbox the easiest way.

download get your 1 - 1.5 plenty of seeders jump off, keep files, wait till its down to 1-2 seeders, a few more leechers (could be months) then jump back on to give it a helping hand.

imo you will get members that do the 2nd one, not doing the 2nd one, and remember to keep a ratio of 2, every torrent you have to seed to 2, or 1 to 1 and 2 to 3 or 3 to 1 and 2 to 4 (its 6 am here so the maths of that may be well off but im sure you get my gist).

I just dont think that would work in a practical sense.

SgtMajor
07-23-2008, 05:00 AM

:yup: No argument against that, as long as it's run along similar lines to something like the SPU Gold Member thingy at BCG and you must never have a HnR against your name, then why not redistribute the wealth, that is fundamentally the sharing philosophy right? It allows the the slow pipes to grab more and keep more torrents alive and for longer and brings more activity all round.

Edit - uploaders and all staff are (should be?) exempt these rules for obvious reasons following Stoi's post :)

stoi
07-23-2008, 05:03 AM
another thing ive just thought of, why should someone that isnt pulling their weight (capping their upload to 1KBs say , because it does happen) benefit from this.

maybe im just pesimistic in my old age, but lots of flaws that i can see, and very exploitable.

SgtMajor
07-23-2008, 05:11 AM
another thing ive just thought of, why should someone that isnt pulling their weight (capping their upload to 1KBs say , because it does happen) benefit from this.

maybe im just pesimistic in my old age, but lots of flaws that i can see, and very exploitable.

That's when we get creative with the idea, everybody can be negative with the ideas put forward, but it's ironing out the flaws thus allowing and brining in the better torrenters that benefits from new ideas, the majority will be appreciative as usual, a small minority will always look for loopholes, that's life.

There always will be those wanting to "beat the system" for whatever reason, mainly to benefit themselves though, but an all inclusiveness and increased activity benefits all in the end.

What's obvious is a fragmentation of the current system is also being exploited by a minority, thus it will always be the case someone loses somewhere. But doing nothing is an even worse scenario.

stoi
07-23-2008, 05:17 AM
well its 6am and i havnt been to bed yet (3yr old daughter still wide awake and babysitting lol) shes wide awake im dead on my feet. so when i get some sleep, i may think this is a great idea (cant see it myself though lol)

On BCG we have got a plan though, We dont let everyone upload, so we cant do it with torrents uploaded, but we are going to do it with Good members you bring into the site. (and who those good members bring into the site)

I wont go into to much detail as its all hush hush atm, but ratio wont be the only way you can get promoted to PU/SPU, even though you can still get promoted purely on ratio as well.

as for all the details of it, you will just have to wait and see, it took me 10 minutes to think it up, its going to take a week + to code the thing. and it is pretty complex.

but like i said, if you are an uploader on BCG then you can already se the proposal and what we are going to do.

Skyy
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
We are developing a new HD tracker that will have unique ranking system. Its still in development and there is a lot of work to do but I can say its gonna rock ;)

rxls
07-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Although I rarely post on public forums, this particular thread touched a very important issue. Unfortunately most staffers follow policies that ruin file sharing ideology. By demanding enormous ratio and uploaded credits users are prompted to use seedboxes, making trackers look like topsites than BT communities.

Personally I’m neither a supplier nor a distributor to create huge buffers by uploading/downloading stuff that I’ve no idea what is all about. I prefer to download a file, watch/read/hear it, leave a proper comment and seed it, just to share it with others as the original encoder/ripper/uploader share it with me. And all these in a friendly environment that gives you the sense of a true community.

Regarding that ''the criteria for different user classes'' and the ''tracker’s general policy'' are the main factors that can convert a tracker into an elite BT community, I believe that the following propositions could solve lots of issues (especially for small private trackers).

The ideal way to keep alive the exclusive content of a tracker (packs, old torrents etc) and good swarms in all torrents (not only in 0-day stuff), is seeding ratio.

SEEDING RATIO (concerns each torrent separately).
S.R. = Seeding Ratio: Counts only for torrents that have been completely downloaded from this site
t = Time (hours): Seeding time after a torrent have been snatched

0 < t < 336 : S.R.= ( 0,8 * t) / 336
336 < t < 672 : S.R.= 0,8 + 1.2 *( t - 336) / 336
672 < t < 1008 : S.R.= 2,0 + 1.5 *( t - 672) / 336
t > 1008 : S.R. = 3,5 + 2,0 *( t - 1008) / 336

Example:
If someone seeds a torrent for 14 days (336 hours / 2 weeks) he will have a seeding ratio=0.8 for this.
If someone seeds a torrent for 56 days (1344 hours / ~ 2 months) he will have a seeding ratio=5.5 for this.

The tracker will count in each torrent those parameters:
Size Ratio = Upload/Download
Seeding Ratio = S.R.
Ratio = Size Ratio + Seeding Ratio

Size Upload
Seeding Upload = Seeding Ratio * Download
Upload = Size Upload + Seeding Upload

Rules:
Ratio > 0,6 (referring to each torrent separately)
Total Ratio > 0..8 (concerns ALL the torrents)

Example:
Someone has downloaded 2 torrents of 10GB each
1st torrent : Uploaded 7GB + Seed it for 3 days
2nd torrent : Uploaded 4GB + Seed it for 7 days

1st torrent :
Size Ratio = 7/10 = 0,7
Seeding Ratio = 0,8 *72 / 336 = 0,17143
Ratio = 0,17143 + 0,7 = 0,87143

Size Upload=7GB
Seeding Upload = 0,17143 * 10. ~ 1,7GB
Upload = 7 + 1,7 = 8,7GB

2nd torrent :
Size Ratio = 4/10 = 0,4
Seeding Ratio = 0,8 *168 / 336 = 0,4
Ratio = 0,4 +,0,4 = 0,8

Size Upload=4GB
Seeding Upload = 0,4 *10 = 4GB
Upload = 4 + 4 = 8GB

Total Upload (clear) = 7+4 = 11,0GB
Total Upload (inc. SR) = 8,7 + 8 = 16,7GB
Total Download = 20,0GB

Total Ratio (clear) = 0,55
Total Ratio (inc. SR) = 0,835

How does this promotion thing work
User:
The default class of new members. Must maintain a Total Ratio (inc. SR) > 0.8

Member :
Member for at least 4 weeks.
Total Download > 50GB
Total Upload (inc. SR) > 52.5GB (ratio>1.05)

Power:
Member for at least 12 weeks.
Total Download > 200GB
Total Size Upload > 160GB (Total Size Ratio > 0,8 )
Total Seeding Upload > 80GB (Total Seeding Ratio > 0,4 )

Elite
Member for at least 24 weeks.
Total Download > 500GB
Total Size Upload > 450GB (Total Size Ratio > 0,9 )
Total Seeding Upload > 300GB (Total Seeding Ratio > 0,6 )
No (systematic) H’n’R in one’s profile

Hero
Member for at least 48weeks.
Total Download > 1TB
Total Size Upload > 1TB (Total Size Ratio > 1,0 )
Total Seeding Upload > 800GB (Total Seeding Ratio > 0,8 )
No H’n’R in one’s profile

Legend
Member for at least 72weeks.
Total Download > 1,5TB
Total Size Upload > 1,5TB (Total Size Ratio > 1,0 )
Total Seeding Upload > 1,2TB (Total Seeding Ratio > 0,8 )
No H’n’R in one’s profile
Need manual approval

Vip
Assigned by mods at their discretion to users they feel contribute something special to the site. (ex-dedicated-uploaders, help in coding/design/forums, offer tutorials etc)

Uploader
Appointed by Staff

Donor
Just donate

User-Classes (apart from staff):
User:
Account is disabled after 28 days of inactivity

Member :
Special Forum
View NFO
View tracker stats on homepage