PDA

View Full Version : NFO's

CPC464
07-18-2008, 02:01 PM
does anybody actually read them, and sidetracking from dunsons comment in another thread is it really worth getting to power user for the privilidge of doing so before downloading the torrent.

i know they contain information about the torrent and also usually info about the scene group who have released the torrent. so i understand why the are included with scene releases.

but why do some trackers insist on including a nfo in user uploads which arn't necessarily scene releases. It just becomes a bit of a pain having to create a NFO before uploading a file. i have only ever read one to obtain password/ install instructions for software.

SgtMajor
07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I only ever read PC Apps NFOs, and even then only after I have downloaded it!

jam0980tr
07-18-2008, 02:33 PM
yes nfo are needed 100% why it gives you all the info about the scene rels how many files, bla bla rest info

aaatoel
07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I read them most of the times! Especially when I am about to download a game, or a pack to check the versions of the files in it!

dunson
07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I only read the nfos of propers for the funny comments.

I don't need to know how many files or the aspect ratio or anything.

zedex
07-18-2008, 02:55 PM
i read them most of the time .

renwickftw
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah I read them, for the details of the movie/tv show. For example, I once saw a DVD5 with like 7 audio tracks. I was like WTF, no thanks.

Ramus
07-18-2008, 03:00 PM
yes i read them i sometimes provide good info about the release.

LoKaLiRi
07-18-2008, 03:00 PM
for appz and games , to just see the serial or who to crack it :P

`Dr. Nick Riviera`
07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
They can be useful...

markupmaster
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I will read them occasionally if I am having some issues with what I downloaded..

respawn40
07-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I'll read the NFO after I download the releases; but I don't think it's worth getting to PU just to read the NFO before downloading. That's never really made any sense to me. It's worth getting to PU not for the ability to read NFO's, but just because PU is a step towards an even better user rank, and it means you've been around longer/shared a lot.

Swift
07-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes i do for my personal info especially PC games , programs

Elecktricity
07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
I love reading NFO's and looking at the ascii art

It's what makes a release feel like a release imo :happy:

OTO
07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I always read them :) They are very useful for me :)

Catcher
07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Nfo's are the quickest source to find a solutions to your problems.
Use them wisely.:naughty:

chamaeleo
07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
nfo is there for a reason, if only to show that a dl is Not a scene release.
a good nfo contains a lot more useful information which can later be verified
although often decorated it's not there for your entertainment
:hugNFO:

Krvaric
07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Always.

install instruction for games/apps and such are in the nfo's and therefore needed.
movies..well basically all the nfo you need/want to know.
The same goes for music.
The more info the better for the "end user".

It just becomes a bit of a pain having to create a NFO before uploading a file.read above.

The Flying Cow
07-18-2008, 05:12 PM
NFOs are an integral part of the scene. Without them you can't gauge the DVDR release you're about to leech, whether it's a newbie attempt (Shrink job, which usually includes an NFO that doesn't state anything about the encode, or a blatant lie) or a proper, scene-standard, 9-pass CCE job. This way you can compare releases, and decide for yourself which release (i.e. from which group) is the best for that particular movie/TV series/and so forth.

Also to read about what a 0day app does, or about a certain game.

I read the .nfos almost 100% of the time, unless it's a TV ep that I know I'm going to dl, regardless (and HDTV rips don't tend to have very informative .nfo's).

So yes, to avoid having to leech the .nfo just to read it, having the ability to read it on the site is an advantage.

-Sherman

deadalive1
07-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I hardly ever read them (with the exception of game releases that is). But as for TV or movie torrents hardly ever.

kfir6669
07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
only when the torrent name says: "READ NFO"... ;)

deadalive1
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
only when the torrent name says: "READ NFO"... ;)
Nice play on words lol ;)

nthpeter
07-18-2008, 05:48 PM
i read em most of the times, too. they are informative, sometimes funny (eg.: Wanted.TS.XviD-TRADINGSTANDARDS)

DV8type
07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
of course they are useful :wacko:

They contain great INFORMATION and should be added to all rls. Especially proper, appz, DVD nfos. They are even useful to see if it is a good movie or not since most contain links to imdb....plus some of the war nfo's are fun....especially those that are rlsd by the infamous MM :P

SgtMajor
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
CANAL STREET - THE TRUTH, now who hasn't read them MOFOs NFOs :lol: :P

Ghostbusters
07-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I only ever read them before downloading when faced with the choice of the same release from 2 different groups or individuals.

I usually read them after downloading whilst the rar's are extracting

KaySterling
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
No... well, that would be sometimes on new games that have special steps but other than that i couldn't care less about the NFO's.

Axoric
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
i just read the NFOs to see the procedure of applying crack.

F.B.I
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Useless, at least for me.

walkman79
07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
NFO files exist since 2 decades ago and they were popularized by newsgroups which shared binaries. NFO are essentially the same as README.TXT which you must read before using any warez. I always read them before downloading the stuff and I think they must be in torrent description as well, I don't understand why some sites restrict NFO to pu+ only. NFO should be along with the contents of the torrent too.

F.B.I
07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
NFO files exist since 2 decades ago and they were popularized by newsgroups which shared binaries. NFO are essentially the same as README.TXT which you must read before using any warez. I always read them before downloading the stuff and I think they must be in torrent description as well, I don't understand why some sites restrict NFO to pu+ only. NFO should be along with the contents of the torrent too.

Wikipedia?

Or you are like 40 years old?

Squizzle
07-18-2008, 09:39 PM
but why do some trackers insist on including a nfo in user uploads which arn't necessarily scene releases. It just becomes a bit of a pain having to create a NFO before uploading a file.

It's likely that they haven't considered this at all and are using an unmodified tbits or tbdev upload page / takeupload script.

Nemrod
07-18-2008, 11:25 PM
IMO the NFOs are very important, for many reasons, they usually have all the info about a release, in my case I like movies with subs, only the NFO tells me if the release is useful for me or not. For applications and games are almost necessary because the NFO file itīs where the info needed for making work properly is.
Plus many of them are really funny, and I love the art that some have.

Duckater
07-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Apps and games to check specs etc etc :)

Adama
07-19-2008, 03:17 AM
i only read them when i need a serial or instruction for a software

Sanka113
07-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Nfo's are nice for dvd-rips. They tell you everything you need to know so that you can make the best call on if you want to dl it or not. TBH even if I can't see an info on one tracker it's so easy to pick one up elsewhere.

DKre8ive1
07-19-2008, 07:09 AM
I always looked at NFO's as a work of art I mean yes they hold useful info but at the same time you have to give props to the people that take the time to design some of the more elaborate NFO's.

I personally have always liked the creative input put in by some of the Ascii groups.

walkman79
07-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Wikipedia?

Or you are like 40 years old?

It's just general knowledge, every linux user who has ever compiled source code to install a program knows that he must read the README for installation instructions.
I have read a lot about File Sharing stuff, I can't pin down exactly where I have read about NFO.

I'm not that old, I'm 29 but thanks. When I read a NFO file for the first time in the 90s I realized that it was essentially the same as README. You don't need to be a Guru to notice it lol

DKre8ive1
07-19-2008, 07:37 AM
NFO's have been around since the BBS days for anyone wanting a history lesson look here-> http://www.textfiles.com/

Some of the first NFO's as they would later become known as are documented on that site. ;)