View Full Version : The "phantom"

BawA
08-18-2003, 06:31 AM
The "Phantom"
time to say bye to ps2 and xbox its phantom time

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nanko/images/6821.jpg

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nanko/images/6820.jpg

Details:

Windows XP os which u can connect to internet and d/l games and install it, it means that there is no cd for this consual
-Pentium prossesore with 3 GHZ and 256 DDR ram
-nVidia Ge-Forece4 128MB DDR
-Dolby Digital 7.1
-Intel Motherboard
-100Gb HardDisk
-100 10 Base internet
-12 input cables
-USB
-Wireless Controller
-4 joystik socekt
-KeyBoard(Wireless)
-Mouse(wireless)
-No CD players :blink:

High quality Viedo (Quick time 36MB (http://www.phantom.net/downloads/Phantom_QT_High.zip)
Low quality movie (26MB QuickTime) (http://www.phantom.net/downloads/Phantom_QT_Low.zip)

High Quality movie(23MB MediaPlayer) (http://www.phantom.net/downloads/Phantom_WM_Low.zip)
Low Quality video(18Mb MediaPlayer) (http://www.phantom.net/downloads/Phantom_WM_High.zip)
http://www.remal.com/upload/xxxxxxxxxx.jpg

You can Buy it online:
Regester Here(US resedents only) (http://www.phantom.net/registration.php)

Nimdock
08-18-2003, 07:24 AM
That is just a pc... and for that effect mine is better.

SodiumChloride
08-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@17 August 2003 - 23:31

Windows XP os which u can connect to internet and d/l games and install it, it means that there is no cd for this consual
-Pentium prossesore with 3Gb MHZ and 256 DDR ram
That will fail fast. You have to download your games? That would take forever on a console system.

And the processor is 3 gigabyte megahertz?

BawA
08-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by SodiumChloride@18 August 2003 - 11:40

That will fail fast. You have to download your games? That would take forever on a console system.

i dont think so

did u watch videoclips u find it more usefull there is 24hrs open fast boradband connection included with it(i think so) watch video clip ul see that

and its 3MHz not 3GB

3RA1N1AC
08-18-2003, 08:43 AM
when this was announced several months ago, i was sure it was a hoax (just a parody of Xbox?). as far as i know, they have never done a hands-on demonstration for the press, despite the fugly photoshop-ish pics of what appears to be a finished product (or a prototype).

if it's real, it's going to be a massive flop on the same level of the 3DO and the Indrema. upgradeable hardware? give me a break. that's not why anyone buys a console-- you buy a console because you want a guarantee that the games have been designed to run at optimal performance on your console and everyone else's, rather than worrying about whether your machine is good enough to run the game. every accusation ever made about Xbox being nothing but an x86 PC should be laid squarely on the Phantom instead.

even on paper, Phantom is just a really bad idea. not to mention that the market has always had more than enough difficulty keeping 3 consoles alive simultaneously-- 4 competing consoles just won't fly. i guess you have to admire an underdog for trying to go up against huge established brands like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft... but developing & marketing a console, and courting software publishers for it, is an insanely expensive business.

Phantom has "flop" written all over it. either that or "abortion." :x

sickmonkey
08-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Looks shit.

BawA
08-18-2003, 09:21 AM
i know ur fillings it used to happen with me, i mean when u got ps2 or xbox or any other consual u never love another consual but u guys didnt watch yet wat this consual can do theyr not idot to spend lots of money so the consual will be flop <_< only announcing this consual in "Tokyo game show" its big thing

N£MO
08-18-2003, 09:30 AM
I think it looks pants and don&#39;t think it will do well at all.

MagicNakor
08-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@18 August 2003 - 09:15
did u watch videoclips u find it more usefull there is 24hrs open fast boradband connection included with it(i think so) watch video clip ul see that

and its 3MHz not 3GB
Unlikely, considering you have to buy the modem (DSL or cable) seperately.

:ninja:

Penis Monkey
08-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user+18 August 2003 - 09:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bawa@Klite_user @ 18 August 2003 - 09:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SodiumChloride@18 August 2003 - 11:40

i dont think so

and its 3MHz not 3GB [/b][/quote]
3MHz
Don&#39;t you mean
3GHz?

If it were 3MHz, it would be totally shite. How would you expect to play games with a 3MHz processor?

Pitbul
08-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@18 August 2003 - 01:15
i dont think so

and its 3MHz not 3GB
i dont think so u moron do u know how much it would cost to run something fast enough to download huge files of games for every little 8 year old spioled kid to have one? they would be loosing alot more money then they ever would make by doing that also wow a P4 3Mhz processor? that must be the slowest game console ever created dont be a moron they said 3Ghz processor like it means something its just a computer in a horizontal box. my computer case looks better and its already here i dont got to wait 2 months to get one. what a bunch of second rate loosers would revamp an X-Box i dont the devs burn in hell for this shitty idea. oh yeah and i watched that video it didn&#39;t say anywhere in there about free DSL it just said an always on Broadband Device do u know what they mean? an always on Lan connector so u can turn off the main power of ur console but leave ur internet connection on to download those huge ass files all night long wow seems like alot of fun. :rolleyes:

3rd gen noob
08-18-2003, 10:44 AM
"most powerful counsel"

got to be handy for the americans in this riaa time...

:lol:

BawA
08-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Penis Monkey@18 August 2003 - 14:30

and its 3MHz not 3GB
3MHz
Don&#39;t you mean
3GHz?

If it were 3MHz, it would be totally shite. How would you expect to play games with a 3MHz processor? [/quote]
ma mistake its 3GHZ

monkeyhead
08-18-2003, 11:44 AM
who made this console?Sony,nintendo,microsoft have been out for years but this is a make i seem to never have ever come across

Benno
08-18-2003, 11:54 AM
It doesnt matter how good the hardware is, if there arent any good games its absolutely useless.

Stonecoldfreak1
08-18-2003, 12:06 PM
not many people are gonna buy this (due to it being around &#036;700) so it will flop within the first year

3RA1N1AC
08-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@18 August 2003 - 01:21
theyr not idot to spend lots of money so the consual will be flop <_< only announcing this consual in "Tokyo game show" its big thing
companies do spend millions of dollars creating consoles that flop, and i&#39;m sure none of them consider themselves idiots either.

3DO sounded like a great idea on paper-- wow, a console that plays movies and interactive multimedia stuff... it&#39;s like an all-in-one entertainment appliance&#33; FLOPPED.

Philips CD-I... similar idea to 3DO. FLOPPED.

Atari Jaguar... from the company that had once dominated the home video game industry with their 2600. how could they go wrong? FLOPPED. also see: Atari Lynx. several years of poor hardware sales and poor corporate management killed Atari.

Neo Geo Pocket... FLOPPED. just another technically superior portable that couldn&#39;t even start to make a dent in the GameBoy monopoly. i think SNK basically went out of business shortly after they discontinued the Neo Geo Pocket.

Sega decided that their popular Genesis console would be even better if they introduced expansion gear like 32X and Sega CD which would essentially turn Genesis into a whole new system. FLOPPED. also see: Game Gear, Saturn, and (to a lesser extent) Dreamcast. several years of poor hardware sales nearly destroyed Sega.

Indrema... it uses PC parts and a Nvidia GPU, and best of all it runs on Linux&#33; hooray for open source. why wouldn&#39;t people want to buy a next generation console that can run Tux Racer? FLOPPED. it couldn&#39;t even get enough investment money to complete its development.

just because some little company comes out of nowhere with a totally hare-brained idea, and they talk a lot of hype about how revolutionary they are (and maybe they even convince some gullible investors to give them money), it doesn&#39;t mean they know what they&#39;re doing. and even if they do know what they&#39;re doing, it doesn&#39;t mean they&#39;re going to succeed. check the list above, and you&#39;ll see a lot of big, established companies with a lot of expertise in electronics/games (and they weren&#39;t developing products nearly as improbable as Phantom), and they still failed.

Phantom is a PC. if it ever comes out, it&#39;s probably just going to play PC games and 16 bit console emulators, and maybe some extremely crappy exclusive games. the only thing revolutionary about it is that you can&#39;t physically purchase any games. which begs the question, why did they even bother to invent this so-called "console" when they could have just started a subscription-based game-downloading service for PCs??? they&#39;d prolly make just as much money (or lose just as much), without having to go through the trouble of marketing any hardware.

abu_has_the_power
08-18-2003, 02:32 PM
this might be a good idea if the player can&#39;t find a good computer 4 less than &#036;1000. But i can. My comp specs are way better than this, just need a wireless controller and i have a way better system than this. but the key is that my system is only &#036;646 without shipping&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

KLMaster
08-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Benno@18 August 2003 - 11:54
It doesnt matter how good the hardware is, if there arent any good games its absolutely useless.
it says that it supports pc games so it must have more games on it already than any other console.

Cl1mh4224rd
08-19-2003, 08:09 PM
No one is going to buy a &#036;700 game console. Plenty of people will buy a &#036;700 PC designed for gaming, though. They&#39;re making a huge marketing mistake by calling it a console.

Other than that, 256MB of RAM is lame for something claiming to be a "next-generation", "high-octane" system.

This thing will be dead before release...

ulyssesdraco
08-19-2003, 08:21 PM
:blink: Looks like shit.

Marius24
08-19-2003, 09:31 PM
u cud buy a better pc cheaper... all it is, is a wannabe pc

MetroStars
08-19-2003, 10:41 PM
i like the way 3RA1N1AC put his point across

3RA1N1AC
08-19-2003, 11:17 PM
unfortunately, the game console business is just incredibly expensive to participate in, and the market is volatile and monopolistic. well, "duo-polistic" might be more correct. this pattern has been followed ever since the days of the NES and the Sega Master System-- there are precisely two winners who control the console business, and everyone else loses.

Cygnuz-Y
08-19-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@18 August 2003 - 14:18

Indrema... it uses PC parts and a Nvidia GPU, and best of all it runs on Linux&#33; hooray for open source. why wouldn&#39;t people want to buy a next generation console that can run Tux Racer? FLOPPED. it couldn&#39;t even get enough investment money to complete its development.

Ha ha ha, you are right,

This will flop, really really bad idea, imagine download all those games and eventually you will full that 100Gb Hdd and WHY DO I WANT A CONSOLE WITH 7.1 Sound if it doesn&#39;t have a DVD Player? :unsure:

Xilo
08-20-2003, 12:50 AM
This Phantom thing might suck ass but the developers should be glad that they at least have one kick ass website :lol:

abu_has_the_power
08-20-2003, 12:53 AM
yea, the site is cool, but the idea is idiotic. :lol: :huh:
the system is cool, but u have to rent or buy games. that sucks&#33;&#33;&#33; i would rather have a good comp with tv out, and get wireless controllers and dl my games 4 free. then i can have the same thing as that, but more freedom, and free games&#33;&#33; ha ha. stupid idea 4 sure :huh: :huh: :wacko: :nuke: :nuke: >_< :x :x :swear:

ooo
08-20-2003, 02:51 AM
yea i saw this at megagames a while ago n i thought it was a joke / made up story... since phantom?&#33;??&#33; what company made that? seriously now.. i doubt it would sell for 700... thatz way too much... prob like 300~ dlin games?... ehhh so the system is gonna have a built in internet connection? or do ppl w/ out internet have to get like aol / buy a modem...

waisyarzi
08-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Hum, you guys said that the Xbox will not be able to compete with sony. You said its shit. When nintendo was the biggest you guys said that Sony could not compte. Well this looks promising although i believe it will be expensive as fuck.

3RA1N1AC
08-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by waisyarzi@20 August 2003 - 08:16
Hum, you guys said that the Xbox will not be able to compete with sony. You said its shit. When nintendo was the biggest you guys said that Sony could not compte. Well this looks promising although i believe it will be expensive as fuck.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT WE SAID. THIS FORUM DIDN&#39;T EXIST WHEN THE PLAYSTATION CAME OUT AGAINST THE N64. DON&#39;T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH, K THNX.

btw, the playstation didn&#39;t come out against nintendo. its direct competition at the time was sega saturn.

http://pages.infinit.net/ids/stfu_newbie.jpg

Busyman
08-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Ahhh but even though Nintendo didn&#39;t come out exactly at the same time, the N64 did compete against the PS1.
That&#39;s when there was the argument over Nintendo having the small number of "quality" games against PS1&#39;s quantity. Also they were considered to have missed the boat by not going to CD when Sega and Sony did.

All the systems that FLOPPED had dumb ass ideas.

Neo Geo Pocket had only 1st party games. No real games that the laymen would recognize unless you played Neo Geo arcade games.
3DO had mostly suck ass games.
Sega&#39;s add-ons didn&#39;t add much on at all.
Atari Jaguar&#39;s games looked like if not worse than NES games and had the nerve to call themselves next-gen.

Bottomline is if the Phantom has good games it will catch on.

If they come with some old Atari Jaguar bullshit, the consumer will burn them.
I&#39;m still surprised about the Dreamcast not selling well. It was a great console.
The next company that I see going the way of Sega is Nintendo. Their core console business is not their core at all. Pokemon and Gameboy hold that company up and Pokemon is frailing in the face of copycats.

3RA1N1AC
08-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@20 August 2003 - 14:00
All the systems that FLOPPED had dumb ass ideas.
and Phantom is a dumb ass idea. it&#39;s an upgradable "console" with a download-only game-delivery service. except it&#39;s a PC. it&#39;s not like Xbox-- Xbox uses PC parts, but it has a standard non-upgradable hardware spec and exclusive games, which are the characteristics of a console. Phantom isn&#39;t a console at all. it&#39;s just a PC that&#39;s been neutered.

and i&#39;m just messing with waisyarzi because he wrote "that what you guys said" about blah blah blah. how does he know? that&#39;s just complete speculation on his part, that the people who doubt the potential of Phantom also doubted playstation or xbox. personally, i&#39;ve always been willing to accept xbox as a console (rather than a "cheap PC"), but i&#39;ve just been disappointed with the quality and quantity of xbox games.

Xbox is a console. Phantom (unless it has a truckload of exclusive games) is not. by the time 2004 comes, a 2ghz CPU and 100gb hard drive aren&#39;t going to be very impressive at all. and if Phantom&#39;s downloading service ever goes out of business, every single person who bought Phantom will be officially screwed-- because it will not only be a neutered PC that can only download games, it will be unable to download any MORE games because the service that defines it no longer exists.

Phantom is completely reminiscent of the original DIVX. not the mpeg 4 codec, but the pay-per-view DVD format that had to dial in to the rental service to let you view a disc. care to guess how useful a DIVX machine and DIVX discs are, nowadays? http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answers...3368593,00.html (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/jump/0,24331,3368593,00.html)

you can&#39;t even use them. that&#39;s what happens when the usefulness of a machine depends completely on one company staying in business and keeping its servers online.

in contrast, if you own a functioning Atari 2600 or NES console, all you have to do is go to a used game shop, thrift store, yard sale, or eBay and buy cartridges for it. i doubt anything like that will be said of Phantom, 20 years after its debut.

it&#39;s not just a matter of being unable to purchase used Phantom games, or get a lower price on Phantom games from competitive retailers who mark the prices down... though this is obviously the intention: making every single Phantom owner purchase nothing but brand new games at full price, with no alternatives like second-hand shops. it&#39;s a matter of not being able to add any games AT ALL to your Phantom, as soon as they discontinue the online service.

Twist3r
08-21-2003, 03:41 AM
what i wanna know is what company makes this "Console" <_<

Xilo
08-21-2003, 03:43 AM
Infinium Labs

Stonecoldfreak1
08-21-2003, 06:38 AM
idk why the fuck everyone is fighting

Busyman
08-21-2003, 10:58 AM
uhhh.... wtf are you talking about; no one&#39;s fighting here.
Phantom is a bad idea but if it has good games unfortunately people will buy it.

3RA1N1AC
03-27-2004, 06:03 PM
oh man. as soon as we stopped talking about how this console at worst sounded like vaporware peddled by fly-by-night con artists, and at best sounded like a terrible idea for a game machine...

HardOCP exposed some of the more fishy aspects of Infinium Labs (like the company&#39;s basic non-existence in any tangible form, and the owner&#39;s long history of crash-and-burn tech ventures), promptly sparking a feud between themselves and Infinium.

how did i miss all of this, until now?

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTk4

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/36053.html

Pitbul
03-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by SodiumChloride+18 August 2003 - 00:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SodiumChloride &#064; 18 August 2003 - 00:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bawa@Klite_user@17 August 2003 - 23:31

-Pentium prossesore with 3Gb MHZ and 256 DDR ram

And the processor is 3 gigabyte megahertz? [/b][/quote]
computer speed is measure in Hertz not bytes dumbass thats memory.

second those gay pics of the Phantom are renders, its easy to tell by the jaggyness of the pics and the electrical cord is way to fake looking.

third it WILL FAIL.

Fourth its just another computer in a wierd Box.

Fifth the company is nothing but a bunch of assholes, they get critisized by one site [H]ard OCP and they try and sue them, i pray these people fail.

Cl1mh4224rd
03-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@27 March 2004 - 13:03
HardOCP exposed some of the more fishy aspects of Infinium Labs (like the company&#39;s basic non-existence in any tangible form, and the owner&#39;s long history of crash-and-burn tech ventures), promptly sparking a feud between themselves and Infinium.

how did i miss all of this, until now?

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTk4

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/36053.html
This is how I found out about it...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-02-23&res=l

Heh heh... :)

3RA1N1AC
03-27-2004, 07:35 PM
@Pitbul: calm down, dude. this is an old thread. people were a lot more gullible last august.

i just wanted to add an update on "whatever happened to phantom," without starting a whole new thread. :lol:

3RA1N1AC
04-23-2004, 05:14 AM
mmm-hmm. more bad news regarding Infinium Labs. didn&#39;t see this coming... :rolleyes:

if people aren&#39;t convinced by now that the owner of Infinium is just a computer-industry con artist, just wait until he gets sued a few more times. :P

Infinium Labs to settle out of court with former employee? - 16/04/2004

According to heraldtribune.com, Infinium Labs are to settle out of court with a former employee Terry Nagy over a stock related dispute.

Terry Nagy has worked in the industry as far back as 1987, with credited to titles such as Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, Blair Witch V1, and Balls of Steel.

When working long-distance with an aim of get game developers onboard the Phantom console project Nagy alleged that Infinium used him and his knowledge of the computer games industry was promisising 110,000 pre-split shares in return. The lawsuit named defendants as Infinium, and its cofounders Timothy M. Roberts and Robert Shambro.

Nagy’s attorney Michael Hurst has stated that there was no written contract, but he said there are emails to backup an oral contract. He says he had the title of executive vice president by June 2003, before March of the same year when his mobile phone and email were cut off.

"It’s not like the guy called up and said, &#39;What happened to the stock?&#39;" stated Kevin Bachus, Infinium’s President, said they were surprised by the lawsuit. “Now we are discussing it to see if there is a resolution, and I would expect to see that happen within a week".

Recently Infinium Labs issued a public warning to the website [H]ardOCP to remove their article “Behind the Infinium Phantom Console” or they would sue. [H]ardOCP replied by first correcting a number of minor errors in the article. When this was not enough, [H]ardOCP then filed a declaratory judgment lawsuit against Infinium Labs to “establish its position that there was nothing improper, untruthful or defamatory” about the article.

The Phantom console to be unveiled next month at this year’s E3 in LA.Source (http://www.gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?id=585)

Infinium Labs Facing Another Law Suit - Thursday April 22, 2004

The problems facing Infinium Labs, creators of the Phantom video game console, seem to be growing at an alarming rate as yet another law suit has been filed against them. The trend that is beginning to surface from these actions against the company suggests that Infinium Labs acquired insider gaming industry expertise and knowledge from companies and individuals and now may be having difficulty on delivering the appropriate compensation for those services.

Digital Interactive Systems, Inc. (DiStream), and Royal O&#39;Brien, its Chairman and Founder, yesterday filed suit against Infinium Labs and its two founders in the Circuit Court of the Fourth Judicial Circuit in and for Duval County, Florida. The complaint alleges material breaches of a series of agreements relating to Infinium&#39;s acquisition of DiStream&#39;s proprietary, confidential information, technology and know-how.

The agreements negotiated between DiStream, Mr. O&#39;Brien and Infinium authorized Infinium to utilize DiStream technology - including two modules of its DiStream Server, DiEMS (Enterprise Management System) and DiSMS (Services Management System) and its DiCRYPT, AES standard encryption engine used to protect content during distribution - to develop, launch and protect Infinium&#39;s gaming network. After the parties executed the agreements, Infinium trumpeted the arrangement, asserting in a November 4, 2003 news release that with DiStream&#39;s technology Infinium has taken a big step toward its goal of offering consumers the largest selection of game software.

DiStream and Mr. O&#39;Brien further allege that by promising them significant ownership interests in Infinium, the defendants induced them to provide Infinium with technological know-how essential to the planned 2004 launch of its gaming network. On the strength of this technological know-how and the substantial contribution of DiStream and Mr. O&#39;Brien to Infinium, the lawsuit alleges, the defendants procured essential financing and began to execute on Infinium&#39;s business plan.

In February, 2004, without warning, Infinium terminated its relationship with both DiStream and Mr. O&#39;Brien. In clear violation of its agreements with DiStream and Mr. O&#39;Brien, Infinium refused to tender to DiStream and Mr. O&#39;Brien either the shares to which each was entitled for their efforts on Infinium&#39;s behalf, or promised cash consideration.

DiStream also seeks injunctive relief to prevent Infinium from employing any trade secrets, relating to their agreement, that Infinium received from DiStream for any purpose, including procuring financing or launching its gaming network.Source (http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/infiniumlabsfacinganotherlawsuit.shtml)