PDA

View Full Version : Control 8800gt fan speed, 2pin fan connector

tesco
07-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I jsut bought a new computer.
The video card is an XFX 8800gt.
The fan on it is fcking LOUD!

How can I control the speed?
I tried ntune and rivatuner and netiher of them actually change the speed, althoguh I can move the slider around.:huh:

I searched for a while on google and for most rivatuner or ntune work, but for the one case i found where it didn't work they said it's because he has a 2pin fan connector rahter than the 3pin or 4pin.
Is that right? I can't control it? Doesn't make any sense to me, I can't view the speed of the fan because there's no sensor wire but why should that stop me from limiting the voltage to teh fan?:unsure:

Anyway if I can't change teh speed by software I'll just go for a hardware solution like volt modding the fan. :idunno:

Thanks for any advice.:unsure:

New PC:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz?)
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard (long hard-to-remember model number:rolleyes:)
XFX 8800GT (256mb? thoguht I ordered 512 not that it matters since i don't game:unsure:)
750gb Seagate 7200rpm 32mb (:O I didn't realize they went this big on teh cache already) SATA2
4gb OCZ ddr2
600watt OCZ power supply (overkill imo but i couldn't find any 8-pins with under 600watt:rolleyes:)

Snee
07-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Just looking around a bit, you may need to update the firmware/bios (dunno what they call it tbh) for the card. XFX has sent a new version to a few people with the same problem.

Another thing you could do is try and edit it yourself with a hex editor or something, to permanently run slower.

Don't ask me exactly how though. It's been generations of video cards since I even looked at the firmware for one.

Snee
07-19-2008, 11:04 PM
dp. The board is being ghey.

tesco
07-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Just looking around a bit, you may need to update the firmware/bios (dunno what they call it tbh) for the card. XFX has sent a new version to a few people with the same problem.

Another thing you could do is try and edit it yourself with a hex editor or something, to permanently run slower.

Don't ask me exactly how though. It's been generations of video cards since I even looked at the firmware for one.
I hope that doesn't involve....

:fear: :fear:

Floppy Drives

I can't find the firmware update on their website, just submitted a support ticket though. :unsure:

Snee
07-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Maybe it's the generic Nvidia stuff? :idunno:

They seem to call them BIOSes for reals. Dunno if that helps.

http://www.mvktech.net/

May void warranty and bla blah blah.

(check downloads)

EDit:

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&func=view&catid=21&id=50886

For editing. Talk of fan speed in the thread as well.

LaPistola
07-20-2008, 01:26 AM
your new rig is almost exactly the same as mine except i have a 9600gt and 2 400gb hdd's

tesco
07-20-2008, 03:11 AM
From what I've found with google now there's 2 version of this card.
Some have a 3/4pin fan and others have the 2 pin (like mine).
The 2pin will not control from software.
Apparantly some people have gotten xfx to send new coolers, new fans for the existing cooler, and manual fan speed controllers, for free.
I'd be happy with either of those, so waiting for my response from support. :)

Detale
07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I have the EVGA 8800 and it works fine with Rivatuner. Is this a problem only with XFX cards or Nvidia??

Snee
07-20-2008, 12:22 PM
From what I've found with google now there's 2 version of this card.
Some have a 3/4pin fan and others have the 2 pin (like mine).
The 2pin will not control from software.
Apparantly some people have gotten xfx to send new coolers, new fans for the existing cooler, and manual fan speed controllers, for free.
I'd be happy with either of those, so waiting for my response from support. :)

Weird. I hope they sort it for you, though.

tesco
07-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I have the EVGA 8800 and it works fine with Rivatuner. Is this a problem only with XFX cards or Nvidia??
seems like just a problem with this specific xfx model.
No wonder it was so cheap.:lol:

clocker
07-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I think that the main question would be...even though it's loud, how effective is it?
If the cooler seems to work well, then it might be worth fiddling around with the fan but since very good GPU coolers are available for @$30-40, it's probably best to just ditch the stocker and go aftermarket.

tesco
07-20-2008, 06:08 PM
I think that the main question would be...even though it's loud, how effective is it?
If the cooler seems to work well, then it might be worth fiddling around with the fan but since very good GPU coolers are available for @$30-40, it's probably best to just ditch the stocker and go aftermarket.
Ya but then I have to live with the noise for a few days until the cooler is delivered.:blink:

I just volt-modded the fan, and when I can get a 3-way switch I'll make it switchable between 7 and 12volt for when It gets hot (gaming).
I don't game much anyway, and with the fan running 7volts the temp is currently reporting 47 which I don't mind much.
I wonder if it goes up while watching hd video though. That's the only graphics-intensive thing I can think of that I do on a regular basis.:huh:

By the way, do these intel core 2 quads naturally run hotter than the old amd athlon 64's (3000+) or did I do something wrong?
Or does the stock cooler just suck?

With my old amd athlon 64 3000+ oced by quite a bit I was getting an average of around 32degrees idle with the stock cooler running at 50% speed.
With the quad i'm getting around 39 with stock cooler at 50%. :snooty:

Detale
07-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't think watching HD video raised the temp that much especially with a 8800GT I currently have the ASUS EAH3650 SILENT it has no fan at all
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/14-121-237-03.jpg

I was skeptical at first but I never game on the HTPC all I do is watch HD movies and the temps stay around 44- 47 degrees no matter what. The 8800 is a far better card so I can't imagine it would run hotter.
I have the q6600 too with the evga8800 in my main rig and I have that bitch OC'd to 3.2 now 24/7 and the temp stays around 38 but in fairness I have a kick ass CPU cooler. Stock coolers are hit or miss IMHO depending on your case airflow they can sometimes be crap. So perhaps invest in a good cooler. I used to use the Blue Orb II (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069&Tpk=blue%2borb%2bII) until one of the clips broke so then I ordered the Enzotech Extreme X (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21314) (this site sleeves it for you free)and I love it, its a monster of a thing but works great. Also another recomendation is the Scythe Ninja Mini (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185046), it's not so freakin "mini" at all pretty big in fact, but works very well with low noise. In the HTPC ATM.

clocker
07-20-2008, 10:37 PM
By the way, do these intel core 2 quads naturally run hotter than the old amd athlon 64's (3000+) or did I do something wrong?
Or does the stock cooler just suck?
Ross, you of all people should know that "temps" mean absolutely nothing without factoring in the room ambient.

I've never used the stock Intel HSF so I don't know how good they are but in general I think the c2d (even the quads) run cooler than their AMD counterparts.

tesco
07-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I just got a reply on my support ticket and they're going to send me a free fan speed controller. :)

clocker
07-24-2008, 04:11 AM
... they're going to send me a free fan speed controller. :)
I threatened to stop the car if they didn't.

j2k4
07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
... they're going to send me a free fan speed controller. :)
I threatened to stop the car if they didn't.

Wow.

You're good. :)

clocker
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
One tries.

j2k4
07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
One tries.

One do, don't one? ;)

clocker
07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Just so, my good man.