PDA

View Full Version : have your invitees disabled?

Polarbear
07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
we all know that on most sites you're responsible your the people that you invite. you can get warned, lose your invites or even your account if they misbehave. some sites even disable whole invite trees when one user is a really bad apple.

wouldn't it be logical that you have the right to have them disabled as well?

if you have a cause for suspicion, if you find the user trading or if you don't trust him anymore for any other reason, you should be able to contact staff and have him kicked. if staff refuse to do this, they can't expect you to be responsible for any future actions of the invitee.

is that an option? what do you think?

stoi
07-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I thought thats what happened anyway lol

djkamikaze
07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
some sites do allow this. at the very least, they will put the person you are reporting on a watchlist. But if you realize that most sites' invite rules tell you to only invite trustworthy people, I'd say that most of the time your scenario comes up, the invite was given carelessly to a person you didn't really know all that well.

additionally, doing as you suggested is often done when trades have gone bad, and the person reporting the invitee is just pissed off because he gave an invite and didn't get what he was promised for it, and is now out to get even.

integral
I'm sure if you report them early on, staff wouldn't penalize you for the bad invite. But if it starts to become a pattern of you inviting bad people, then I'm sure you'll get invites disabled, or account disabled.

nemrac
Great idea Polarbear. I agree to a point. I think an inviter has the right to request an invitee be disabled if he suspects foul play, but i don't think the inviter should be absolved from future resonsibility. They were initially responsible for the invitee. I think there should be some leanionsy if you point something out before any damage is done, but washing your hands on the matter is unreallistic.

Nemrac

deadalive1
I think that is a good idea. But I believe the typical response from most owners/staff at trackers would be "well you invited this person to begin with" or they'll point you (not you but people in general) to the rules, where on most trackers, says you are responsible for any person you invite (basically, no matter what).

But I agree it should be more inviter friendly, as in the scenario you provided, if someone catches a person they invited doing something stupid (insert ratio cheating, trading acc. etc.) then they should be able to inform staff and have them banned, and at the VERY least be able to wash their hands of the responsibility of that "certain" person once staff is informed (regardless of what action is taken and/or not taken).

SgtMajor
07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
/me reports PB for inciting riots at FST :P

I've done that publicly here, just ask t*******! Let me down big time he did, so he paid the consequences.

Cabalo
07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
we all know that on most sites you're responsible your the people that you invite. you can get warned, lose your invites or even your account if they misbehave. some sites even disable whole invite trees when one user is a really bad apple.

wouldn't it be logical that you have the right to have them disabled as well?

if you have a cause for suspicion, if you find the user trading or if you don't trust him anymore for any other reason, you should be able to contact staff and have him kicked. if staff refuse to do this, they can't expect you to be responsible for any future actions of the invitee.

is that an option? what do you think?
if i ran a tracker and some user came and asked me to do such a thing, i'd also disable you. that means u were irresponsible when giving away your invites, showing u gave them to people you don't know, thus breaking site rules. I would held u responsible too for their deeds. period.

Eargasm
07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
The only problem I could think of is "cool" people who give out invites, wait until you are PU/VIP/Etc. before sending you an email demanding that you pay x amount of money or you lose your account.

On the other hand, if you invited someone, and you can see that they have a shitty ratio or whatnot, they should be autobanned soon enough anyway.

stoi
07-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Not particularly.

Ive known best friends to be right idiots when it comes to torrenting.

Just because you know your invitee, explicitely, does not mean they are going to be a good member of a tracker that you invite them to. It just means you can kick their teeth in when they get you disabled lol

in all honesty, i wouldnt invite anyone to any tracker, if the rules are that harsh, keep myself to myself, and sod my best mate whos pestering me for an invite (most of my mates have not even heard of bittorrent, never mind are members of private trackers).

So to me, whoever you invite, from anywhere, your taking a huge risk with your own account.

Something Else
07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
You can report them, but ultimately it should be up to the staff. If they refuse then they could put a note on the acct with the info. It could also say that the info came from the inviter and so he is immune to any damage that particular invitee caused to his status as a member in future.

mrnobody
07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
i invited someone to a tracker via a giveaway (back then that tracker allowed giveaway), afterwards i was suspicious on him. So i asked the tracker staff to check on him, apparently he was one of those who moved from US to Egypt so as to torrent from top of the pyramid. Staff disabled him, i had no trouble whatsoever :-)

But that was because that staff knew me. Else wise, maybe i could have been punished, which imo is still fair. Afterall, we are responsible for our invitees, like FOREVER.

mrnobody
07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
i invited someone to a tracker via a giveaway (back then that tracker allowed giveaway), afterwards i was suspicious on him. So i asked the tracker staff to check on him, apparently he was one of those who moved from US to Egypt so as to torrent from top of the pyramid. Staff disabled him, i had no trouble whatsoever :-)

But that was because that staff knew me. Else wise, maybe i could have been punished, which imo is still fair. Afterall, we are responsible for our invitees, like FOREVER.

Nemrod
07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I do agree. It should exist that option.

Just because you know your invitee, explicitely, does not mean they are going to be a good member of a tracker that you invite them to.

You are absolutely right.

I know excellent users, active, rules followers, helpful, exemplar members in one site, then Iīve invited to other one and for whatever reason they donīt do a shit and some even have been disabled due to inactivity. If I am responsible for them I should have the right to know their status and if something itīs not OK, ask for to being disabled.

Anyway, ruled or not, I always keep an eye on my invitees (where I can do that) and if they are not doing it good, I PM then first asking for reasons, after hear them, if they persist I ask staff to warn them or disable them.

IdolEyes787
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Totally agree with Benchez it should be up to staff what the appropriate action is.
If the inviter's judgment was poor enough originally ,why should it be trusted now?

SgtMajor
07-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Totally agree with Benchez it should be up to staff what the appropriate action is.
If the inviter's judgment was poor enough originally ,why should it be trusted now?

Because some invitees do a 100% flip-flop about turn and really do damage the confidence and trust you have placed in your friends.

I'll dig up a classic thread from last year and show you.

IdolEyes787
07-20-2008, 05:51 PM
@SgtMajor Agreed but on the other hand I see too much potential for abuse unless staff are involved at some level.

Polarbear
07-20-2008, 05:56 PM
if i ran a tracker and some user came and asked me to do such a thing, i'd also disable you. that means u were irresponsible when giving away your invites, showing u gave them to people you don't know, thus breaking site rules. I would held u responsible too for their deeds. period.

have you ever met people in real life that changed? do you have any friends that aren't like they used to be? did you ever split up with someone, because she turned out to be different than you thought?

by the way. personally i never had any problems with my invitees. this is a general discussion.

you warn staff about one of your invitees being a possible cheater for instance and they refuse to take necessary precautions and ban you. that would be highly irresponisble of staff. if that was a common method, people would rather wait for it to happen than try to avoid it with a report.

be quiet and hope that nothing will happen is worse than stand up and address your suspicion. when he does cheat you'll have to take the consquences anyway.

in fact staff should be thankful, because you're only trying to stop something bad from happening to the site.

there are many crimes in the real world that could have been prevented if someone testified without the fear of being convicted himself. no juridical system will punish you, because you should have known the person you warned them about better.

if i report to police about a possible crime, they ignore it and the crime happens, it's partly their fault.

so i think your wrong with your fast and reactionary reply. the kill 'em all policy isn't always the best, you know.

p.s. they were admins, mods and loads of supposed trusted members who got caught cheating and trading. i think the sysops would have been glad if somebody warned them. even if it were the inviters.

SgtMajor
07-20-2008, 05:59 PM
@SgtMajor Agreed but on the other hand I see too much potential for abuse unless staff are involved at some level.

And the killer for me:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-the-best-giveaway-ever-2008-263323

mievmo
07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
WTF -
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...er-2008-263323 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-the-best-giveaway-ever-2008-263323)

Kill him !!!

Ali-g
07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I dont think staff would penalize u if u report ur own invitee.
Anyway this point in most cases is helpless. U decide u trust or not a person the moment u invite them. If that would be like OP said then people would do GA or trades and then jst disable invites :slap:
I think its much better this way. If u have something serious (proofs) or are suspicious u can go to a mod/staff and tell him u have suspicions, its their duty to make clearance, if the invitee was bad or not. If its not bad (leech/cheat) then its useless to ban a member jst becuase the inviter woke up a morning and thought so.

horiZen
07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
personally i've found invites to be too risky especially on top trackers,,ppl say they respect the rulez/community but when they dont the result is YOU get shafted by losing priviliges or even worse, your account

deadalive1
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM

And the killer for me:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-the-best-giveaway-ever-2008-263323
Oh man, that's just wrong. Glad I don't treat my inviters like that, maybe it's my age (err wisdom) yeah wisdom. :lol:

Polarbear
07-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Anyway this point in most cases is helpless. U decide u trust or not a person the moment u invite them. If that would be like OP said then people would do GA or trades and then jst disable invites :slap:
I think its much better this way. If u have something serious (proofs) or are suspicious u can go to a mod/staff and tell him u have suspicions, its their duty to make clearance, if the invitee was bad or not. If its not bad (leech/cheat) then its useless to ban a member jst becuase the inviter woke up a morning and thought so.
i wasn't talking about a "disable my invitees" button in your profil. of course you'd have a reasonable discussion with staff about the issue. i think i made that pretty clear.

so :slap: yourself.

IdolEyes787
07-20-2008, 06:24 PM

And the killer for me:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-the-best-giveaway-ever-2008-263323 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-the-best-giveaway-ever-2008-263323)

Holy shite.
I bow to your greatness.

danio
07-20-2008, 07:28 PM
well in my opinion, you gotta provide solid proof that your invitee is a bad apple. otherwise i don't think that you should be able to have them disabled. the moment you invite a guy to a site, he's a member and should be treated like one. if you are worried about one or some of your invitees, try to investigate the reason of your suspicion and if it's solid, contact the staff and let them decide.

Duckater
07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Personally I would look how long they been invited and see how the invitee was doing if no problems would just mark both accounts.
If some one did it a few times I would then look into why etc etc :)

walkman79
07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I think you are responsible for your invitees but you shouldn't be able to delete the account of your invitee. As someone mentioned here traders would wish to delete his invitee's account when they get scammed.
For example, if someone argue with his invitee and he gets pissed off, it would be totally unfair if he deletes his invitee account for that reason.

Ali-g
07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
i wasn't talking about a "disable my invitees" button in your profil. of course you'd have a reasonable discussion with staff about the issue. i think i made that pretty clear.

so :slap: yourself.

I WAS slapping myself due to all this talk for nothin :slap:
U CAN actually talk with staff and provide them evidence/suspicions about leeching/cheating/trading etc. , and this is not only for invitees but for everyone. But thats all u can do and thats all u SHOULD be able to do/\
No decisions on urself nonono :frusty: Respect staff's decision

well in my opinion, you gotta provide solid proof that your invitee is a bad apple. otherwise i don't think that you should be able to have them disabled. the moment you invite a guy to a site, he's a member and should be treated like one. if you are worried about one or some of your invitees, try to investigate the reason of your suspicion and if it's solid, contact the staff and let them decide.

+17
Ur a member jst like ur invitee. That u invited him doesnt give u more rights on him then he has on u. ;)

Duckater
07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Of course the best option is know some one for a long time b4 inviting them to a top site where you could lose your account etc etc
All my invites to toip sites have either been personal friends in the flesh or people who I have chatted with and staffed with for some considerable time

stoi
07-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I think the main problem is with Invites, well 2 problems and probably a lot more than that actually lol

They are a commodity, sell them, trade them, even just give them away to anyone to get more rep on sites like FST.

Their are consequences for your invites, but there are no bonuses if your invite does well, so usually you invite and just let your inviter get on with it, if they screw up a little, its not really your problem, and helping them, why the hell should you waste your time. So the Invitee comes into a new community, and most of the time, they feel stranded and in to deep for thier own good.

We have something planned on BCG that will hopefully change all that. Some of it has already been coded, other bits still need doing, but it should be on the site within the next week, if everything goes to plan.

integral
07-20-2008, 10:08 PM
I can't wait to see what you guys have planned, then. The SP system alone makes BCG up in my top 3 favorite trackers easily, so I don't doubt this is going to be something good.

Duckater
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Nice one stoi :)
Would like to say I look forward to seeing but will read reviews here on it :)
At Gti we would only really get upset if some one invited a cheater/scammer or trader :)
We when we started got a lot of members who had never been on a private tracker in there life and had to explain the advatadges etc to get them to seed etc etc.
This has helped us a lot coz a lot of those members are now really loyal to GTi even tho are now more experienced in the private tracker world and more than likely have accounts on several private trackers.
Some of our staff (chosen for mma knowledge) had very little knowledge on torrents b4 joining GTi. So we look at in a way that we spent time with these members not banning them but explaining the advantages and this has not only really helped Gti but the other private trackers they have joined.
Now if users invite members to the site who are new to private trackers we still do the same thing.
This for us has worked very well. I personally think a lot of private trackers who are open are too quick in banning people like that and could benefit from spending time with them and build a great membership.

I am not knocking other sites for not wanting to spend the time and effort with n00bs to private trackers but with new trackers opening all the time we found it worked well :)

stoi
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
well 49,000 of our 53,000 members at a rough estimate probabaly came from mininova lol

We have done exactly the same, some its just not for them, they like the fast downloads, but they hate to seed back. fair enough, they leave never to return, we cant force members to stay. Others are just scum, make multiple accounts, wait till we are closed and then sell them.

Not every member you get is scum, problem is, a hell of a lot are, we got 11,000 new members in 2 days last week, which was great, but 90% were not members we wanted, but a few gems did get in. so it was worth it.

Duckater
07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Cool :)
I think it only way forward for new sites m8 and sounds like your percentages where about same as ours only we never planned getting that big and at present plan to grow at a slower rate than when we 1st opened. I know that we are not the only site to do it that way and personnally think it better than just posting on forums like here as members here are mostly here to work there way up the tree of trackers.
I must admit our mma members that come thru likes of mininova where a lot better than ones just chasing the latest tv or film releases tho :)

Funkin'
07-21-2008, 05:35 AM

And the killer for me:

Crazy. You had every right to have those accounts banned. I couldn't believe the amount of members that were saying you were wrong.

Anyways...I think this is a great idea. Everytime I invite someone I've always been a bit paranoid about their doings, and always check on their account. Everyone that I have invited I've know really well. But, you just never know when a person is going to decide to be a douche and cheat, or do a giveaway of an account or invite in a public forum, or anything else that breaks that trackers rules.

Luckily I've never had any problems with any of my invitees. The worst thing one invitee did was not use his account at bmtv after being invited and it got disabled for inactivity. I would much rather that happen then the invitee cheat or something along those lines.

So being able to talk to staff members about having your invitees disabled is definitely a good thing.

Swift
07-21-2008, 05:38 AM
none of my invitees dissapointed me so far

Eargasm
07-21-2008, 06:19 AM
I had one guy that did, one day he reported uploading 2.2TB. I'm pretty sure his ISP was to blame, but yes, I had to have him disabled.

What I'm not for is disabling your invites because they didn't pay you "rent" - and that's exactly what would happen if they could disable the people they invited. Either that, or an account with a significant invite tree gets compromised(it happens folks), then he could go through and disable hundreds of folks just for shits.

If you've got a valid reason, I'm sure the mods will do it. But don't give that power to the account holder.

grimms
07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Would be nice to have an option to disable an invitee. Some of your best trusted friends don't act the same in the cyberworld as they do in the real world. Make any sense? Try to know your invitee though. I'm pretty sure down the line everyone has made a bad mistake and put faith into a invitee who just didn't fair well on that particular site.