PDA

View Full Version : Is trading invites generally frowned upon (outside of FST)?

Rdysn5
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I am a member of a popular private tracker, on which I had a few invites. Like many people, I opted to try to use the BitTorrent Invite forums here in the hope of trading one of my invites, for an invite to another sought -after private tracker.

Well, not only did I not get an invite (the site I want is currently not allowing invites), I had my own invites revoked by the admin of the tracker I am a member of. Apparently because "trading isn't allowed".

Dangit. I am just relieved I didn't lose my account on that tracker completely.
I must also mention that the particular tracker was *not* listed as one of those trackers whose admins have requested their invites not be traded on FST. So I was taken aback somewhat.
Is there such a thing as safe trading in the invite section? That is, trading without running the risk of having your tracker account or invites revoked. I've been completely put off using the invites section because of this :D

aaatoel
07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
In most sites, if not all, not only it is frowned upon, nut also forbidden by their rules! A quick glance at the FAQs nad Rules will confirm this!

Polarbear
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Is there such a thing as safe trading in the invite section?
no, there isn't. follow tracker rules and you'll be safe.

Swift
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
trading is like a curse nothing good can come from it , eventually it will get back to you and hunt your accounts

Something Else
07-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I am a member of a popular private tracker, on which I had a few invites. Like many people, I opted to try to use the BitTorrent Invite forums here in the hope of trading one of my invites, for an invite to another sought -after private tracker.

Well, not only did I not get an invite (the site I want is currently not allowing invites), I had my own invites revoked by the admin of the tracker I am a member of. Apparently because "trading isn't allowed".

Dangit. I am just relieved I didn't lose my account on that tracker completely.

You're lucky you didn't.

I must also mention that the particular tracker was *not* listed as one of those trackers whose admins have requested their invites not be traded on FST. So I was taken aback somewhat.

You need to read that section of rules here again, and more carefully.

Is there such a thing as safe trading in the invite section? That is, trading without running the risk of having your tracker account or invites revoked. I've been completely put off using the invites section because of this :D

No there isn't, and good you are put off. Using the invite section here or anywhere similar is asking for a ban.
Well done for learning your lesson, as it sounds like you have.

TheFoX
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
As with ALL communities, you need to read THEIR own rules on THEIR own site, as well as rules on THIS site.

Take it as read that practically most trackers don't like invite trading, with the exception of the very few. Account trading is a complete NO NO, so don't even bother to ask about that one.

Just remember that only Del Boy would attempt to sell something that was to be given freely, and he is the ultimate Trader...

grimms
07-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Just read the rules and faqs. But most trackers don't allow trading invites and trading accounts is always forbidden no matter what usually.

djkamikaze
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
not only is it frowned upon, but at every site where I am a member, it will get you banned. site staff browse FST forums looking for traders, and you can get banned from one site, even if the invites you were trading weren't theirs! they simply don't want traders on their sites.

By trading with strangers (no mater how good their ratio proofs and trading rep may look, they are still strangers) you are putting that site at risk. the whole idea is that everyone who gets an invite went through a screening process by a current member to ensure that they can be trusted. by trading, you've broken that system.

t1m3k33p3r
07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
You can get blacklisted on all sites if you trade. Generally, people use different nicks on forums and trackers.

Trading usually gets you nowhere, and most trackers ban trading of invites.

djkamikaze
07-21-2008, 09:40 PM
good point, it deserves mention that many of the best bittorrent trackers share info on ratio cheats, and invite/account sellers & traders. Often times this means if you get banned at one site for trading, others may ban you as well

deadalive1
07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
good point, it deserves mention that many of the best bittorrent trackers share info on ratio cheats, and invite/account sellers & traders. Often times this means if you get banned at one site for trading, others may ban you as well

As well they should, nobody wants these types of users/members, they put ALL of us and especially the owners of sites at risk. I have no sympathy for these people.

Most don't respect the trackers they have, they just look to move up the ladder to something better. This is certainly not a trademark of the quality user/member.

djkamikaze
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
by trading, you are also shutting yourself off from the possibility of getting some invites for free. I, for one, would never give an invite to a trader, but I will happily give one for free to someone who has demonstrated that they are honest and trustworthy. basically a boy scout, I guess, lol

Duckater
07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Traders are not wanted on any tracker they could more hassle than they could imagine
Sellers of invites are even worse

bblogs
07-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Is there such a thing as safe trading in the invite section?

Unfortunately there is...it takes just a little intelligence to do it. I'm currently thinking of a few mods which will make it harder.

Rdysn5
07-22-2008, 06:41 AM
You can get blacklisted on all sites if you trade. Generally, people use different nicks on forums and trackers.

Trading usually gets you nowhere, and most trackers ban trading of invites.

I am using a different name, on forum and tracker, that didn't help at all lol.

LeEWay
07-22-2008, 07:08 AM
In most sites, if not all, not only it is frowned upon, nut also forbidden by their rules! A quick glance at the FAQs nad Rules will confirm this!

Yeah. But I also think, invites should always be offered freely. If you trade, you don't give a invite for free. Selling is even worse.

:01:

LeEWay

Funkin'
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM
There's no need to trade. You can basically get just about any tracker you're wanting if you're a friendly and helpful person. People take notice in little things like that. Trust me.

Beside it being against the rules at almost every tracker, you also have a very good chance at putting your inviters account at risk. And you should always respect your inviter since he/she took a chance on inviting you.

Dr.Horrible
07-22-2008, 08:44 AM
What happens if you invited someone to a site and they traded. Is that bad or should it be bad?
Or what about if 2 of the people you invited did :-|
I invited 2 people to a site and they both traded. I had known them for ages and though they were ok. I got warned the first time and then was more sternly warned the second time and no longer have invites. Should I be punished for being too trusting or do you think staff were right to take the precautionary measure and remove further invite privilages from me?

DikTation
07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I believe trading is more frowned upon outside of FST but i guess we all have different opinions on this because depends on what we have seen and what communities we are apart of on the net.

bblogs
07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
What happens if you invited someone to a site and they traded. Is that bad or should it be bad?

I invited 2 people to a site and they both traded. I had known them for ages and though they were ok. I got warned the first time and then was more sternly warned the second time and no longer have invites. Should I be punished for being too trusting or do you think staff were right to take the precautionary measure and remove further invite privilages from me?

You're lucky to still have your account I'd say, depending on what tracker you're talking about...

Yes, inviters are punished for their invitees behaviour, and that's the way it should be. If you invited a trader, you are responsible for it.

Funkin'
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Or what about if 2 of the people you invited did :-|

That's the thing. You just never know what your invitee is going to do. All I can recommend is try your best to research the next person you want to invite to a tracker. Especially if you're going to invite someone from here. All you can do is use your best judgement.

esco123
07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
jus dnt trade, and you'll be safe, thats the best advice i can give.

kondrae
07-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Do invite giveaways and be active around here. you'll be surprised how much this will help you

PlayeR
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Do invite giveaways and be active around here. you'll be surprised how much this will help you
Agreed.. Trade is just bad, well that's what i think. if you dont want the acc just delete it or leave it.

F.B.I
07-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Didn't you learn something from that experience?

What about don't trade? What about don't giveaway? What about FOLLOW the tracker' rules?!

djkamikaze
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Didn't you learn something from that experience?

What about don't trade? What about don't giveaway? What about FOLLOW the tracker' rules?!
that's too much trouble for some of these nubbins. they think the bittorrent trackers OWE them something.

t1m3k33p3r
07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
there are sites specifically for trading. But most traders start out trading CAUSE IT'S THE MOST LOGICAL THING! Who the hell in their right mind would give away invites in the beginning?

Think about it people. You treasure your tracker, but you want more. Would you fuckin give away your demonoid invite for free? You love that tracker and you think it's the best. Then a whole new world of bittorrent private trackers opens. You at first don't expect ANYONE to give you ANYTHING, the same way you didn't want to give anything to anyone either. Why the hell would I give away my invite to a stranger? ONLY after someone tells you that trading is not the way to go do people realize this.

However, some traders never learn this lesson and they don't get far. Most people start out traders and keep on trading. Only a select few (or many) learn finally that you shouldn't trade to get what you want.

This is why I have nothing aginst traders; they didn't know better in the beginning. Traders should be helped, not laughed at. As a very wise mod here said "I think anti-traders are juvenile" or something along those lines.

TRADERS: learn not to trade and make friends. This will be the only way to advance yourself in the tracker world. Have fun and don't suck cock.

F.B.I
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
there are sites specifically for trading. But most traders start out trading CAUSE IT'S THE MOST LOGICAL THING! Who the hell in their right mind would give away invites in the beginning?

Think about it people. You treasure your tracker, but you want more. Would you fuckin give away your demonoid invite for free? You love that tracker and you think it's the best. Then a whole new world of bittorrent private trackers opens. You at first don't expect ANYONE to give you ANYTHING, the same way you didn't want to give anything to anyone either. Why the hell would I give away my invite to a stranger? ONLY after someone tells you that trading is not the way to go do people realize this.

However, some traders never learn this lesson and they don't get far. Most people start out traders and keep on trading. Only a select few (or many) learn finally that you shouldn't trade to get what you want.

This is why I have nothing aginst traders; they didn't know better in the beginning. Traders should be helped, not laughed at. As a very wise mod here said "I think anti-traders are juvenile" or something along those lines.

TRADERS: learn not to trade and make friends. This will be the only way to advance yourself in the tracker world. Have fun and don't suck cock.

You know what is that? Bulshiit.

If a member signup here, wait 30 days, make no posts and then open a thread saying he has no trackers and want to start with TL for example, he will get a BIG no from me.

But if a member do the signup here, spend 30 days trying to help, is cool with us and then open a thread saying he has no trackers and want to start with TL for example, he will get a BIG yes from me.

I got ScT two weeks after I signed up for the first time in a private tracker so don't even try to defend someone (traders) when they have no excuse.

t1m3k33p3r
07-23-2008, 10:50 PM
hey bro relax with the insults. hating traders does nothing to help you, so lay off.

I'm not defending traders at all; I didn't say that. I'm just explaining WHY THEY ARE TRADERS!

and did I say EVERYONE? Most people start out traders even if it was for 1 day. Trust me; I know.

so lay off bro. I got ScT the same time you did, perhaps even earlier the first time I signed up in a private tracker.

And don't call someone else's shit bullshit. You can disagree with it, but you shouldn't call it bullshit.

F.B.I
07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
No, actually I can.

Anyaway, I got your point.

t1m3k33p3r
07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
good! Now we can be friends!

Rdysn5
07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Before resorting to trading, I did try other methods before that. One of which was posting a thread asking nicely for an invite. I included screenshots of my seedbox connection speed and my buffered ratio on another tracker. That didn't help :D. No one responded to it.
But, I won't be attempting any trades again. Doesn't matter if you post with another name, it's piss easy for any tracker admin to find out who you are.