PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Problem

kennyboy
08-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Have just installed O/E from the XP disc, (have never used it before) but on trying to open it, amd getting the message "Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable"
Any suggestions please? Could it be a "Services" problem?

shn
08-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Did you set up a mail account in it that has to connect to an exchange server?

gaz_k
08-18-2003, 01:11 PM
anyone noticed that u can send emails fro other poeples account with outlook express.

could on the older version any way
go to tools
accounts
then add account
then just put in your mates address
then add acount
then send funny emails, either to himself or to a few mates.. he will be totally baffled.

shn
08-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah he&#39;ll be baffled alright <_< All he has to do is right click properties on the message and view the headers and see exactly where it came from, heak it even tells you the name of the computer that sent it. :lol:

kennyboy
08-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi again. No havn&#39;t even been able to open Outlook Express. Have done nothing except install it from the XP CD. Any ideas?

I.am
08-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Well you do have to setup a mail account before using all the services. Not many free email services offer free pop and smtp mail anymore. So if you have an email that supports pop and smtp you could setup an account and be ready to use. Its probably why you are getting the error. No account so how would you connect to any exchange server&#33;&#33;&#33;

kennyboy
08-19-2003, 04:20 AM
The point is, I am in Thailand, and there is no possibility of getting Pop3 accounts, so I do not have any choice. I am just puzzled why I can not open O/E, and am getting the message about Exchange server. Surely I should at least be able to open the program, even if I do not have an account?

I.am
08-19-2003, 06:41 PM
hmm <_<
The error must be coming in a new window. Try minimizing it or closing it to reach to the main Outlook Express window. And setup a pop mail account.

Here is a list of Free Pop Mail Services (http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_pop.htm) Use the one that you like and configure outlook accordingly. Give the pop mail address and smtp and try sending the mail to yourself. Delete any other dummy accounts in there already.

kennyboy
08-20-2003, 03:16 AM
Hello I.am

Many Thanks for the pop site. Really helpful as I never knew such a thing existed. - About O/E, it is not even attempting to open at all. I only get a standard Microsoft grey box about 3" x 1" giving the exchange Server message. That being the case, I have got no way of stting up an account. Can&#39;t understand it.

balamm
08-20-2003, 03:35 AM
What do you need Exchange for? Are you running smtp or pop services?
Outlook express is a part of IE, just reinstall or repair IE6 and you&#39;ll have outlook express.
From what you said about installing it from your XP disk, it sounds like you actually installed an exchange component or server component, not the outlook express client.

kennyboy
08-20-2003, 03:56 AM
Hi Balamm. That is the point, I have no need for Microsoft Exchange Server to my knowledge. All I did was to install O/E from the disk. I saw absolutely nothing about Exchange Server anywhere. Outlook Express shows as being installed in the program list, and Start Menu, so I really can&#39;t understand it. Ok will try a repair. How to do this please?

toddiscool
08-20-2003, 04:46 AM
Control panel - add remove - IE6 Sp1 and internet tools (something like that) It will only be there if installd the IE6 SP1 seperatley, not with XP SP1.

I came into this thread expecting people to be saying F**k it use encridimail, or netscape or whatever and was pleaseantly surprised to say that no one had... but still I have to say fu*k it use Outlook, not express. If you alreaddy do not have office, get it. Easy download few good ones on here.

shn
08-20-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by kennyboy@19 August 2003 - 21:56
Hi Balamm. That is the point, I have no need for Microsoft Exchange Server to my knowledge. All I did was to install O/E from the disk. I saw absolutely nothing about Exchange Server anywhere. Outlook Express shows as being installed in the program list, and Start Menu, so I really can&#39;t understand it. Ok will try a repair. How to do this please?
Balamm was referring to a "component" of outlook in regard to exchange server (possibly one that enables you to connect to an exchange server) you may have had installed by accident or something.

Believe me if you had exchange "server" you would know it, it takes like 2 hours just to install it on a domain controller which is not recommend. And besides, you cant run exchange server on anything but a server o.s. like 2000 or 2003 server.

That eliminates one possible cause. But really I would just reinstall ie with outlook. Or if you have office xp I think that installs outlook as well.

kennyboy
08-20-2003, 06:13 AM
OK. Going to uninstall IE6 and Outlook Express. BUT, if O/E is part of IE6, why in Add Windows Components, does it list them as seperate programs? Anyway, will uninstall them both and try again. Actually, in Add/Remove, My IE6 is listed as "Internet Explorer Q818528. Is this the one to uninstall? Also listed is Outlook Express update Q330994. Do I uninstall that also. many Thanks again for all the help.

balamm
08-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Those are just patches and updates. Just leave them, they&#39;ll be integrated or replaced when you update.