PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent hogs 100% of my connection

kaiweiler
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey all,
When I start up my uTorrent, it hogs all of my connection. I can not even open a web page, I get notifications saying my anti-virus failed to automatically update, no connection at all. However, my uTorrent continues to download/upload it's files.
After shutting down uTorrent, I still have to wait around 5-10 minutes before my connection comes back and I can make use of other web related applications.
I am currently seeding around 30 torrents, but I don't think that would cause too much problem, and only 3 or 4 are typically active at a time.
This connection is only around 2mbps down and 512kbps up, but I was getting the same thing happening on my normal 10mbps down and 2mbps up connection.

This is causing me to seed less, as I am limited to what I can do while my uTorrent is connected, so please help me fix this issue!

Thanks

iamKy666
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Limit your upload at ut at 75% of your maximum.
If youve already done this,ignore this.

integral
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
As the above poster said, limit your download/upload speed.

As an added measure, also limit the amount of peers you connect to, as this can saturate your Internet connection as well.

Eargasm
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM

Options > Preferences > Connections
Global Bandwidth Limiting | Upload

TP635
07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I had the same problem with my new modem, and it got partly solved by applying the above 2 suggestions

DarkWave
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
It can also happen with very fast connection, and not fast computer.

In my office i used to have 24/1 Mbit line with an old pentium PC with only 256MB RAM.

Good download speeds, used to kill the PC! It always showed disk overload, and finally crached.

Now, with a better PC with 2GB RAM, it's flying!

CraigT92
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Turn down your download limit in utorrent that should solve it

hitman51
07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
im just gonna say it like this....do what the rest of the people ^^ there said

jokzor
07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
you think that's bad? i wish my software was in a way that i could seed at maximum bandwidth speed, then i could limit it on the utorrent and use with in other stuff as needed.. lol, you know people read tutorials and forums trying to get their maximum bandwidth as you? :p

KennyX
07-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree with the other posters in general, but you might want to try this instead.

In uTorrent go to preferences, connection and tick the 'maximum upload rate (kB/s)' box where it says 'Automatic' to allow uTorrent to manage the upload amount.

Depending on your ISP this is better than setting your upload to 75-90% as this will compensate for a more variable upload speed throughout the day.

esco123
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
hey kaiweiler, jus do the above that should solve the problem mate..also what mite help is to get a new version of utorrent if u got one of the old ones.

triso
07-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Options > Preferences > Connections
Global Bandwidth Limiting | Upload

For best results--limit your download rate as well.

h1pp0
07-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Lower your max global connections as well so it doesn't eat up ram keeping track of 500 active connections

kaiweiler
07-24-2008, 01:39 AM
wow, tons of replies!
Thanks guys I'll give it a try, I have limited it a bit, but I don't think it is around 75%, I'll play around and see what comes up.

EDIT: How many connections should I limit it to? As of now it is set at 250.
and the max number of connected peers per torrent? (90 right now)
number of upload slots per torrent is 4, that okay?

Thanks again

The Wanderer
07-24-2008, 06:24 AM
After shutting down uTorrent, I still have to wait around 5-10 minutes before my connection comes back and I can make use of other web related applications.

This behaviour is not normal, check your computer for malware.

kaiweiler
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM

This behaviour is not normal, check your computer for malware.

Computer is clean of Malware, regularly scanned with SuperAntiSpyware and Nod32 Antivirus and Antispyware.

h1pp0
07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
wow, tons of replies!
Thanks guys I'll give it a try, I have limited it a bit, but I don't think it is around 75%, I'll play around and see what comes up.

Thanks again

That should be fine, if you have a shitty router like the linksys befsr411 it probably won't do more then 100 connections before crapping out. Any decent router made within in the last few years should be able to handle 250 connections.

The Wanderer
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
What version of uT do you use? The latest beta or 1.7?

Anyway if the problem persists (even after limiting download/upload) I suggest you to try to post about your problems on utorrent forums. There are a lot of peeps there willing to help you. :)

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewforum.php?id=4

Computer is clean of Malware, regularly scanned with SuperAntiSpyware and Nod32 Antivirus and Antispyware.

robotpirate
07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd like to know this as well.

edit: hm, currently trying the recommended settings on uT's speed guide.

222MHz
07-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds like it's swapping out... Or Virtual Memory I believe they call it on Windows.

kaiweiler
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds like it's swapping out... Or Virtual Memory I believe they call it on Windows.

Shouldn't be a memory problem I don't think.
I have 4gb of physical memory, and have an 8gb pagefile, as well as a 2gb flash drive running ReadyBoost.
I am going to try removing the flash drive, and leaving the pagefile on system managed, and see if that makes any difference.

hotshot6473
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I had this problem and to fix it I limited by upload to about half of what it can achieve and also took a bunch of inactive torrents out of my seedlist. I found that the more torrents I was uploading(even if they werent active) would slow down my computer.

222MHz
07-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Shouldn't be a memory problem I don't think.
I have 4gb of physical memory, and have an 8gb pagefile, as well as a 2gb flash drive running ReadyBoost.
I am going to try removing the flash drive, and leaving the pagefile on system managed, and see if that makes any difference.

I just reread the OP. I would agree that it is most likely not a memory issue.

I would reset uTorrents settings to default and see if it persists. If it does, I would start to back things down in increments of 10%