PDA

View Full Version : Peer Guardian-Blocklist etc.

iamKy666
07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Do these kind of stuff worth to use???
Any opinions from the gurus would be appreciated:naughty:.
Thanks.

SgtMajor
07-26-2008, 06:25 PM
If you are seeding to and from your home PC and in a country that is actively looking for P2Pers, and in fear of a warning from your ISP, then yes.

Anything is always better than nothing at all.

mafija
07-26-2008, 06:32 PM
But you cant hide anything from your provider,becouse all trafic going through his ruter.
And if you are from USA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act

iamKy666
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I am using peerguardian2.
And yes,im talking about a common home connection.
What i see,is that in its blocklist there are a lot of things like universities(which btw,have strong pipes) so i was wondering if really is accurate at protecting you.
About the provider you are right,they know whatever you do.

kondrae
07-26-2008, 08:30 PM
^Depends what blacklist you import.

There are companies like MediaDefender that actively search for illegal filesharing and then get isp to send warning letters or worse, riaa, etc., sue you. i think pg2 helps alot against this happening.

peerguardian2 is especially needed in p2p networks like ed2k(emule), but in bittorrent - there are torrents = swarms, making it harder for anti-p2p companies. ex. -only go after public torrents

you can always go off the fact that your less likely to get lawsuit than win lottery, but the risk is still there

hotshot6473
07-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Peerguardian is helpful also use the encryption options on your sites if they have them such as SSL or SSH. They can somewhat hide you internet traffic but noone really knows as we are not on the other side of the traffic. For the most part small community based sites will have a safe envirnment but open sites you have to be careful

Tanuki
07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Peer Guardian useful? Don't know, but try to see the situation from your opponents side. Would you be able to circumvent this protection? Suppose you are a company with substantial funds. Would you sit in your assigned ip range, which is blocked by every user almost by default and wonder if there is p2p traffic at all because you see none? Or would you rent a normal line from some big providers with dynamic ips like the average Joe Sixpack? I would. Therefore even if I cannot prove it, I am pretty sure Peer Guardian is nothing but snake oil.

IdolEyes787
07-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Peerguardian can save you some grief on public trackers but on private ones I don't think it's of any value.

SgtMajor
07-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Peerguardian can save you some grief on public trackers but on private ones I don't think it's of any value.

It's certainly of value on TL.

c0njur
07-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Peer Guardian useful? Don't know, but try to see the situation from your opponents side. Would you be able to circumvent this protection? Suppose you are a company with substantial funds. Would you sit in your assigned ip range, which is blocked by every user almost by default and wonder if there is p2p traffic at all because you see none? Or would you rent a normal line from some big providers with dynamic ips like the average Joe Sixpack? I would. Therefore even if I cannot prove it, I am pretty sure Peer Guardian is nothing but snake oil.

I agree with Tanuki. Your more likely to block useful peers than hide yourself from the authorities.

Funkin'
07-27-2008, 05:17 AM

It's certainly of value on TL.

I'm sure that is true. I barely even leech from TL anymore because I"m so paranoid.

I was going to make a new thread about this, but I guess I'll just ask here. Along with PG2, are IP Filters any good? I've been told that they do absolutely no good, and doesn't really need to be used with uTorrent. What are your guys' taking on this?

And if anyone knows of a good IP Filter, than please post it. I was using one that I found at RevTT, but my uTorrent ended up corrupting so I wiped everything out, and forgot to save it.

respawn40
07-27-2008, 05:27 AM
I use Peerguardian because it makes me feel better. I don't care if it is snake oil; it still makes me feel better.

kondrae
07-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Peer Guardian useful? Don't know, but try to see the situation from your opponents side. Would you be able to circumvent this protection? Suppose you are a company with substantial funds. Would you sit in your assigned ip range, which is blocked by every user almost by default and wonder if there is p2p traffic at all because you see none?

True, but the ip ban lists get updated. I read, cant remember where, that mediadefender was buying so many ip ranges because of ip bans that they at one point couldnt buy any more because of money/other-restrictions. cant remember exactly

Tanuki
07-27-2008, 09:03 AM
kondrae, what I don't understand at all is, why renting ip ranges at all? If I were mediadefender, I would not rent a single ip range, which would be worthless within days. I would try to get normal users accesses with Comcast, Earthlink, AOL, whatever. The two or three largest internet providers in each country. I would want to have the same dynamic ip addresses normal customers get. And I suppose even this is cheaper than buying one ip range after another. And what will Peer Guardian users do then? Block all Comcast? All Earthlink? AOL? Mission accomplished. Remaining filesharing negligible.

kondrae
07-28-2008, 07:46 AM
They're not that smart. I know they were thinking of using empoyee's home connections to spy. dont know if they ever got to doing it

bblogs
07-28-2008, 08:08 AM
It may work on big trackers, but I'd say you'll be sacrificing peers. It all comes down to what you value the most, peers vs. saftey. :idunno: