PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Disk 6 Problem

Wolfmight
08-20-2003, 02:37 AM
Perfect Disk wont do an offline defrag after restart when i tell it to.
It shows it start the Offline/Boot defrag during win xp startup, but then it just skips it without showing me anything and then i go back to perfect disk and hell, it says i need a boot/offline defrag still!! I've been trying to, but it's the lazy one.
Also, it seems it doesnt completely defrag all those highlighted fragmented files when it finishes.

I have the latest version of perfect disk 6.

I also tried Diskeeper 7 and it only defrags, but doesnt smart place the files.

n e solution besides having to use them both? (twice as long to defrag the system <_< ) or do u all just use em both?

zapjb
08-20-2003, 03:37 AM
My PerfectDisk does an offline defrag. Did yours ever? Or just stop doing it?

Wolfmight
08-20-2003, 09:35 PM
mine dont.. i already tried reinstalling and everything.. fully updated

nuttin <_<

zapjb
08-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Did it ever?

Wolfmight
08-20-2003, 09:43 PM
no, it never worked

zapjb
08-20-2003, 09:53 PM
As I recall. I check offline defrag. Then I get a box says drive C couldn&#39;t locked. Would you like to schedule an offline defrag upon next startup. Click yes. And then go to Start-Turn Off Computer ...-Restart. And the key is NOT TO GET OUT OF PerfectDisk while doing this. Leave PerfectDisK OPEN&#33;&#33;&#33; Let me know. Peace.

skelley521
08-20-2003, 10:08 PM
If it wont do a off-line defrag then you have a &#39;dirty&#39; hard drive.
Open My Computer and right click X drive ( X is your hard drive letter) then click properties. Select the tools tab and click error-checking tool. Click both the options that are available then start. It will probably say that the drive is locked and would you like to check for errors on the next reboot, select yes and reboot.
On reboot it should do 5 different scans and when it is finished windows will load.
Now try to do perfect disk off-line defrag. It should work, if not, try the error checking again. I just did this on another &#39;puter and had to do windows error checking 2 or 3 times...dont ask me why, its a windows tool....lol.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Wolfmight
08-21-2003, 01:09 AM
I just ran checkdisk 5 times
then tried to run perfect disk offline/boot defrag...same problem&#33; :angry: :(
Aww man, i just wasted alot of time running that checkdisk 5 times.. i clicked both options each time also.
wat do i do now? :(

zapjb
08-21-2003, 01:25 AM
PerfectDisk v6 is my defrag utility. But for the last couple weeks I&#39;ve been fooling around with different AV&#39;s. Panda & Kaspersky f&#39;d big time with PerfectDisk. But now with NOD32 PD&#39;s cool. So what if any software/hardware changes have you made? And just a guess here but try turning off system restore, sometimes if you have too many SRP&#39;s that&#39;ll f with things.

Wolfmight
08-21-2003, 01:38 AM
i tried running diag startup, then running pdisk offline/boot and it didnt run.
I tried more 2 more check disk and it didnt work..
MAN, this is annoying

It just says Perfect Disk is about to start the scan showing ".............", about 2 seconds and it closes and xp starts up..
They need a way to just do this in dos off a floppy&#33;&#33; <_<

skelley521
08-21-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@20 August 2003 - 20:09
I just ran checkdisk 5 times
then tried to run perfect disk offline/boot defrag...same problem&#33; :angry: :(
Aww man, i just wasted alot of time running that checkdisk 5 times.. i clicked both options each time also.
wat do i do now? :(
When you ran the check disk did it go through all 5 steps "or" just pop up and say the drive is clean or ok? It tried to tell me this and I could tell that there were errors by the way it was acting. Also you need to be logged in as an Administrator to have this privilege (off line boot defrag).

Steve

Wolfmight
08-21-2003, 02:25 AM
Yes, i&#39;m logged in as administrator and yes it went through all 5

skelley521
08-21-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@20 August 2003 - 21:25
Yes, i&#39;m logged in as administrator and yes it went through all 5
Are you able to run smart defrag and does it complete?
The only other thing I can think of is uninstall / reinstall and try it again.