PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Trade Brett Favre to New York Jets

Skiz
08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Brett Favre era in Green Bay is now officially over. But Favre's legendary career is not.

The month-long saga has finally come to an end, with the Packers agreeing to trade their future Hall-of-Fame quarterback to the New York Jets, FOXSports.com has learned.

The exact compensation was not immediately known, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

I can't believe he's going to play in a non-Packers uniform. :cry:

whip22
08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
can't believe he's even returning. If you retire, freaking retire!

Skiz
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't blame him. If playing makes you happy, then play. :idunno:

It's just tough to swallow that his career won't properly end in GB.

j2k4
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't blame him. If playing makes you happy, then play. :idunno:

It's just tough to swallow that his career won't properly end in GB.

Yeah, but don't waste time waiting to swallow.

I figure I'll be (to whatever extent possible) a fan of both the Packers and Favre.

That sort of thing can be done, given a bit of effort. :dabs:

MaaxHimself
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I think its a good thing for Farvre seeing as he didn't want to play for Green Bay anymore.
MJ came back and played for the Wizards, and I loved every second of it.

Skiz
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM

No one else did though. :ermm:

Sanka113
08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Glad to see him out of the conference :)

neo24
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
end of the novel thanks to god

seedman
08-09-2008, 12:52 AM
This is pretty upsetting. Kind of like when Karl Malone went over to the Lakers.

IdolEyes787
08-09-2008, 02:30 AM

No one else did though. :ermm:
Say what you like but it preferable to his baseball career.

My opinion is once you retire you should never be allowed back.
Show me one example of when anything positive has come out of something like this.

Skiz
08-09-2008, 05:00 AM
I'll give you four.

I enjoyed Jordan's comeback, but not after going to the Wizards. His initial comeback was to the Bulls and they won another 3 championships with him. I remember that clearly b/c that was after my Rockets won 2 in a row.

Roger Clemens. He came back to win a Cy Young with my Astros.

Lance Armstrong came back and won the Tour De France, again.

Mario LeMieux (spelling?) retired twice and came back possibly better than he was before.

MaaxHimself
08-09-2008, 05:36 AM
"Please MJ! Come Back, please come back, please" - Magic Johnson

Skiz
08-09-2008, 06:38 AM
George Foreman came back too. After being retired for something like 20 years, he won the Heavyweight belt.

IdolEyes787
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Lance Armstrong never came back from retirement.He was dropped by Cofidis because he couldn't honour the terms of his contract(to compete in four races during the year).

Mario Lemieux,a total class act and the greatest player ever(better than Gretzky by a country mile) also only made one comeback from retirement.His first break was indefinite leave due to medical condition.
Stats aside he never attained the magic that he had before.I think a little of the joie de vivre had left him.

And I think Favre should have hung them up.He's destroying the reason everyone loved him so much in the first place.
It wasn't that he would throw a touchdown pass.I was that he would exuberantly tackle his own teammate after doing so.
Can't see that happening anymore.
In his defense must be damn hard to walk away though.

Skiz
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I think Farve should have retired as well.... once he said he was going to. He proved last year that he still had it and should had just kept on keepin on, if that's what suited him.

I've gone and looked at stats on Lemieux (:sly:) and I recalled, he did rather well.

But in 2000, Lemieux turned his focus back to the ice. He came of out retirement to finish with the highest points-per-game average among players that season. He was also a finalist for Hart Memorial Trophy en route to helping the Penguins advance to the Eastern Conference finals.

IdolEyes787
08-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Just to be clear Lemieux is a Canadian hero and I was I no way disparaging him.

I guess the point I was trying to get at(it's in there somewhere,maybe:lol:)
Is that retiring by choice and being forced out of the game are two vastly different things.

An athlete like Favre defines himself to a great extent by being a football player.
Since he was a very small boy that's all he's done that's all he's dreamt of.

For a guy like him retiring essentially takes away his identity.That's why he couldn't deal with it.
Even though he thought that's what he wanted at the time now he wakes up and doesn't know you he is.
Before it was easy get, up eat ,go to the field.

I'm not the least bit surprised he unretired but I doubt that he will find any joy in it.His time has passed and deep down he knows it after all that's why he retired in the first place.

It's the athletes who already have other interests/businesses who deal with retirement better.

markupmaster
08-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Damn..

Hard to believe he's leaving Green Bay..

:dabs:

yoco
08-22-2008, 02:13 PM
As a fan of Packers it's hard to believe he would do such a thing. Like it wasn't his retirement hard enough.