PDA

View Full Version : My q6600 wont OC right anymore?

Detale
08-10-2008, 06:35 PM
it's 2.4 running @ 3.0 for about 5 months now I think never had a problem with it ever. Over the last few days I have had freezes when I burn a DVD or sometimes for no reason at all. My Mobo keeps resetting the manual control over the clock speed back to 2.4 and disabling the user control over the CPU ( I forget what its called). My question is does the OCing ability diminish over time or do you guys think something had gone coocoo? I don't think its my RAM I have removed some and went back to 4 gigs (2X2) and have played around with the speed as well I even dropped it to 400 when its Gskil 1066 so I cant see that being a problem right? Still I cant get my rig oc'ed anymore. It either restarts or freezes :huh: anyone have any idea?? Specs below

MoBo- GA-X38-DQ6 (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2665)

Ram Gskil 1066 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166)

CPU Quad Q6600 2.4

BTW it runs fine at stock speed

Shiranai_Baka
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
what are the temps when its OC'd?

lynx
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I believe that in the past clocker has (and may still) employed a technique of pre-stressing the processor by undervolting and underclocking it prior to attempting to overclock it. It is supposed to open up the pathways and subsequently give better results.

I've no personal experience of this but if we assume it works then it is logical to assume that jumping straight in with overvolting and overclocking is likely to have the opposite effect. That's something that I certainly have experienced.

I don't know whether this technique works when the system has been pre-stressed the other way.

Obviously having the mobo jump back to default settings is just a feature of the motherboard itself. I've seen mobo's do this when the reason for the system crashing was nothing to do with overclocking. I believe it happens when there are a number of consecutive restarts without any proper shutdown sequences in between. If the system is hanging for some other reason then you may be wrong in assuming that it is an overclocking problem just because the mobo reverts to default settings.

clocker
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
What is your chip's stock voltage and what voltage have you been subjecting it to these past months?

There are many reports of the new Core architecture chips suddenly rebelling and refusing to maintain an overclock after a few months of (seeming) stability.

Detale
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Temps never get above 35° when @ 3.0 (Enzotech Extreme X:01:)currently they are around 26°I left it at stock voltage the whole time (1.2) until maybe 2 weeks ago when this started happening then I bumped it up ever so slightly to 1.262 v but still the problem persists. since then I have had it up to 1.32v but I don't want to go higher than that cause I'm a wuss

What other reasons do you think the freezing could be from then? I Try and make my system crash by doing the same thing but to no avail. Usually it will freeze up when I am converting a movie using Convert X to DVD

I ran loads of tests when we were doing that back then in that other thread and it ran stable with occp, prime and others.

What about that reverse burn in thing could you please elaborate a bit.

I do know what happened though. My chip is pissed at me for thinking of upgrading. It knows I posted about getting one of the 1333mhz quads and now it's going to fuck with me for a while to show me who the boss is.

clocker
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I do know what happened though. My chip is pissed at me for thinking of upgrading. It knows I posted about getting one of the 1333mhz quads and now it's going to fuck with me for a while to show me who the boss is.
That's probably it.

So...excessive voltage leading to CPU degradation is probably not the cause.
High temp is obviously not it either.
Probably the most likely culprit would be the motherboard.

Detale
08-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Do you think going back a firmware or two would help? I have the current f9d version.

clocker
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Dunno.
The thing to do would be slot the CPU into another board and see what she'll hit.
Obviously, in a perfect world you'd have an identical mobo laying around to use but in this case, any LGA775 unit will have to do.

This sort of problem can be very tough to isolate without swapping out some parts.

Just occurred to me to ask...even though the CPU hasn't be highly overvolted- what about the RAM and northbridge?

Detale
08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
My ram has always been kept @ or under 1000 and its 1066 never upped the voltage either. Northbridgre?? didnt know I could OC it? do tell sir

clocker
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
You don't overclock the northbridge but it's pretty common to overvolt it.

In the BIOS it's under M.I.T. -"[G]MCH".
Naturally, being a Gigabyte board it won't tell you what the default value is so you're adding voltage to an unknown quantity.

Detale
08-12-2008, 12:33 AM
ah I must try it asap