PDA

View Full Version : Installing new os

andrew.cook
08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
if i want to install a new os is there a way i can do this without loosing all my stuff on hdd - movies, music etc? thanks

Tanuki
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes.

clocker
08-10-2008, 09:14 PM
if i want to install a new os is there a way i can do this without loosing all my stuff on hdd - movies, music etc? thanks

Yes.
But apparently he won't tell you what it is.

Tanuki
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I think my answer is fitting the question.

panoli
08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
ya u can by bavking up ur daya in C drive to anther drive

peat moss
08-11-2008, 12:30 AM
I guess you mean to format and reinstall or you what to try a new O/S like Ubuntu ? Which I tried today , so easy when you can dual boot or just run of the cd . :happy:

Andy what are you trying to do ?

andrew.cook
08-11-2008, 06:35 AM
to format and reinstall a new o/s if at all possible

MaaxHimself
08-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Vista install gives you the option to upgrade and backup your files automatically.
I don't recommend Vista

peat moss
08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
to format and reinstall a new o/s if at all possible

Well then just back up your files as panoli suggested to dvd , another HDD . Just make sure you have your Mobo drivers especially lan and format .

Hey if your hardware supports it maybe try something new , Vista , Linux ? There's enough people on the forum to help you , many enjoy it .

Link :

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live-how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cop_am1WM

Akileus
08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Why don't you use vmware or virtualbox (free) you can install multiple OS without loosing your data.
it's pretty easy... otherwise if you don't want to use virtualisation software , just partition you Hard drive in multiple drives , move your sensitive data in one of them , finally install OSX or LInux in a dual boot with xp or vista , a good boot manager and it should do it great.
if you need more details about dual-boot concerning OSX and XP , I have a screencast about it , I can send it to you....

peat moss
08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Why don't you use vmware or virtualbox (free) you can install multiple OS without loosing your data.
it's pretty easy... otherwise if you don't want to use virtualisation software , just partition you Hard drive in multiple drives , move your sensitive data in one of them , finally install OSX or LInux in a dual boot with xp or vista , a good boot manager and it should do it great.
if you need more details about dual-boot concerning OSX and XP , I have a screencast about it , I can send it to you....

I'm just D/L VMware Workstation 6.04 w/crack ,I found on Demoniod today can't wait to try as a fellow member suggested it . I want to try the WinBorg XP64 with out formatting . :)