PDA

View Full Version : Why do people like Newzbin so much?

Skiz
08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Why do people like Newzbin so much?

I'm pretty sure I've explored that site as much as anyone over time, but I've never understood what the big deal was. Am I missing something? :huh:

zepr0m
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
i am not so lucky :)

JustDOSE
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
i got newzbin acc and never want to use them :dabs: just hype i guess:yup:

cubbyche
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm pretty sure I've explored that site as much as anyone over time, but I've never understood what the big deal was. Am I missing something? :huh:
I have found stuff there that I didn't even know ever existed on some really strange named groups ... they have stuff there that you cant find anywhere else...:yup:

JustDOSE
08-13-2008, 12:07 AM

I have found stuff there that I didn't even know ever existed on some really strange named groups ... they have stuff there that you cant find anywhere else...:yup:
like what?:blink:

saulin
08-13-2008, 01:17 AM
I used it before there was the supersearch feature in NewsLeecher

Skiz
08-13-2008, 02:09 AM

That's just silly. If it's on Usenet, search engines will have it. :mellow:

mesaman
08-13-2008, 03:00 AM
Browsing through what's available is usually step 1 for me and I like being able to do that.

BigH
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
it's just very easy to use (especially for non-techies like me - well worth £ 2 a month)

I've noticed recently though that when I go to grab a US TV show from the previous evening at say 6am UK time, it's not yet appearing on Newzbin, but the NZB will be on this site

Disme
08-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Never used Usenet ... I'm paying enough already to my ISP, and I'm not gonna subscribe to a payserver to get things I can get for free elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

Skiz
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Never used Usenet ... I'm paying enough already to my ISP, and I'm not gonna subscribe to a payserver to get things I can get for free elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

The second thought always follows the first. An opinion on something before even trying it. :dabs:

Usenet is not for everyone. Some people, even after experimenting with it find that they would rather download content for free, but those are few and far between.

Usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to Usenet first. It's always been that way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but Usenet is the place for getting releases first. You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favorite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it sooner and faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

There really is no comparison.

The existence of so many users shilling out much more cash than a news server would cost, for seedboxes is just plain foolish and a waste of money.

Anyhow, Newzbin is an indexing site, which a few years ago was a nice place (and still is), but now there are several great indexing sites and great search engines to boot, but people are still forking over money for Newzbin. I was just wondering if they had added some new features that I didn't know about and didn't have access to seeing as I don't pay.

Disme
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Just my opinion.

The second thought always follows the first. An opinion on something before even trying it. :dabs:

Usenet is not for everyone. Some people, even after experimenting with it find that they would rather download content for free, but those are few and far between.

Usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to Usenet first. It's always been that way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but Usenet is the place for getting releases first. You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favorite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it sooner and faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

The existence of so many users shilling out much more cash than a news server would cost, for seedboxes is just plain foolish and a waste of money.

Anyhow, Newzbin is an indexing site, which a few years ago was a nice place (and still is), but now there are several great indexing sites and great search engines to boot, but people are still forking over money for Newzbin. I was just wondering if they had added some new features that I didn't know about and didn't have access to seeing as I don't pay.

I do know what usenet is. I know it has been around much longer and I know a lot of things I look for in my native language is never or hardly released on any private BT-tracker, but is commonly released on usenet.

I have never payed a dime for a seedbox, and I would never do so. I have the misfortune my ISP has very shitty newsgroup-servers and I can't use it. Free servers exist but suck and as I said I believe I pay more than enough /month to my ISP (about € 61,00). It's a question of principles I guess.

Even if it would blow my mind away, i wouldn't be willing to pay extra for it. Call me cheap :dabs:

mesaman
08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't pay anything either, I'm a Usenet cheapskate:

Browse Newzbin on a free account to see what's available, get the free NZB elsewhere.

I use SABnzbd, a free downloader program.

Then download at my linespeed from my ISP's less than perfect news server, and there are a few free servers that fill in the missing pieces automatically, I don't notice this happening. Would my ISP care about excessive bandwidth use? I don't see how, it's in-network bandwidth from their own news server and I'd be a fool not to be resourceful and take advantage of files that are technically hosted by my own ISP, on their network.

Beck38
08-13-2008, 07:43 PM

It's just another tool in the toolkit; I always buy a year at a time, during the holidays at the end of the year, at half price. So the total cost is pretty minimal.

A lot of it has to do with how much aggravation one is willing to tolerate. Kinda like dealing with news-servers other than Giganews, or paying the 'man' (Giganews) and being done with it. For years, I dealt with other providers (including ISP's) and spent time chasing fills and files all over the place; still have pieces of block accounts at various places that I'll probably never use, now that I 'bit the bullet' and pay Giganews.

It's about the same as the argument between torrents and newsgroups. Yep, most of the content anyones looking for is on the torrents. But after you've wasted your time digging for what you're looking for, had multiple attempts aborted due to the prime source you're d/l'ing from go off line, patching parts together, and MAYBE ending up with what you're chasing, you find that you could have gotten the same thing (or probably even better) simply by searching Usenet.

It comes down to how much, again, aggravation, one is willing to tolerate. I've been on Usenet for just about 15 years, tried torrents in the early days, and came back to Usenet. Simply, low aggravation.

That and Netflix. But heck, I still d/l headers, so that's how 'old school' I am, and I get lots of things that newzbin and all the indexing sites miss, period. So there's lots of stuff out there to be mined...

Windy72
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Ahh Usenet V Torrents thing again.. lol! Sorry to posters but it is funny reading those posting in the NG forum they don't like usenet :wacko:. Why do they come here they should be shackled to the BT threads.

Newzbin is a great resource cost a few squidleys but I only use this site, Merlins portal and binsearch for my NZB work these days. Call me old fashioned I like Forte Agent and downloading headers works for me. Treat newzbin like you would a music/DVD store. Use it for inspiration to download. Just don't pay for it! (unless absolutelly necessary of course :naughty:)

symphonyx
08-13-2008, 09:17 PM

I do know what usenet is. I know it has been around much longer and I know a lot of things I look for in my native language is never or hardly released on any private BT-tracker, but is commonly released on usenet.

I have never payed a dime for a seedbox, and I would never do so. I have the misfortune my ISP has very shitty newsgroup-servers and I can't use it. Free servers exist but suck and as I said I believe I pay more than enough /month to my ISP (about € 61,00). It's a question of principles I guess.

Even if it would blow my mind away, i wouldn't be willing to pay extra for it. Call me cheap :dabs:

I was thinking exactly like you before I gave it a try.

And boy was I wrong.... Private trackers don't even come close to usenet when it comes to content. Usenet has MUCH MORE to offer than all the private trackers mixed up together, and much more old content and language diversity. And most of all, you will hit max speed on everything you download, which is not the case with public trackers OR private trackers.

Now will you say "if you can't max out my connection on private trackers, then you have a bad tracker". Im a member of SCC and revTT, believe me, I DO hit max connection on 90% of the torrents, even with a very low amount of seeders. But 90% is not 100%, and believe me you will not find ALL you are looking for. Well, I almost can on revTT because of the AWESOME request system.

HOWEVER.... Where usenet wins easily VS torrents, is that you don't need to share ANYTHING on Usenet, which is a MAJOR PLUS for people who have limited transfers (my ISP gives me 100gb combined). If you use torrents, you will have to keep a good ratio in order to keep your account active. I know GFT doesn't require a ratio, but its new and it needs more time.

I signed up with astraweb for 11$ a month, and it is well worth it. I never need to go rent dvds or go to the cinema (unless I REALLY want to) and not keep a ratio wasting my bandwidth on a private tracker.

It is worth it

JustDOSE
08-14-2008, 02:43 AM

Just my opinion.
u will join us sooner or later :yup:

mushroom77
08-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Just my opinion.
u will join us sooner or later :yup:

he will, i did :)

Funkin'
08-16-2008, 05:49 AM

Just my opinion.

And? The question was why do people like Newzbin so much. Not, why don't you use Usenet.

Anyways, I have no idea why people pay for Newzbin access. Sure, it's very little every month, but everything you can find there you can find for free on other search engines. It just doesn't make sense to me. Sites like NZB'srUs does the exact samething Newzbin does, but they don't charge you.

Broken
08-16-2008, 05:57 AM
I pay because it's the best.
simple enough....

Just like I pay more for giganews because it's the best.

Skiz
08-16-2008, 06:23 AM
simple enough....

A few years ago, I would have said OK.

Now there are great binaries search engines like newzleech that eliminate the need for a service like Newzbin. There certainly is no longer any justification in paying for them if your reasoning is that "it's the best". They don't have a single file that I can't get without their service. I can get files faster without it as a matter of fact.

Why do you say it's the best?

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed over there and there are no new features to get in a huff about. If it's still simply just an indexing site, that is.

Disme
08-16-2008, 06:36 AM

Just my opinion.

And? The question was why do people like Newzbin so much. Not, why don't you use Usenet.

Next time try to use your brain when reading something. I know that you are right in your statement. But because I don't really know anything about usenet (hence: 'never used usenet') I was under the false impression usenet and Newzbin were alike (the same).

I turns out they aren't and I now know the difference between the 2. I'm even trying out usenet as we speak.
It looks promising indeed :yup:

cubbyche
08-16-2008, 02:59 PM
like what?:blink:
Documentaries ... can't find them on other sites except for NZBMatrix.com

The problem with that is that some posters change the name of the files like a.k.j.y.b.b. ecc... unless you know the name of the movie or file you can't always find it buy dewing a search...!
Sometimes they post in a group that I have never herd of before...:unsure:

of course I am talking about hard to find stuff here...

Skiz
08-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Documentaries ... can't find them on other sites except for NZBMatrix.com

Now you're just pulling my leg. I certainly hope you don't believe that. :lol:

The problem with that is that some posters change the name of the files like a.k.j.y.b.b. ecc... unless you know the name of the movie or file you can't always find it buy dewing a search...!
Sometimes they post in a group that I have never herd of before...:unsure:

of course I am talking about hard to find stuff here...

Those are abbreviations. The name will be in the file names and can be found will search engines.

Broken
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
simple enough....

A few years ago, I would have said OK.

Now there are great binaries search engines like newzleech that eliminate the need for a service like Newzbin. There certainly is no longer any justification in paying for them if your reasoning is that "it's the best". They don't have a single file that I can't get without their service. I can get files faster without it as a matter of fact.

Why do you say it's the best?

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed over there and there are no new features to get in a huff about. If it's still simply just an indexing site, that is.

I like the format. I like having everything I need in one spot, with older NZBs that are hard to find indexed else where. I love the watchdog option that emails me when something I am looking for becomes available.

If you really wanted to argue it, indexing sites are limited because even the best miss files that you could find searching usenet by hand.

Skiz
08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
I like the format. I like having everything I need in one spot, with older NZBs that are hard to find indexed else where. I love the watchdog option that emails me when something I am looking for becomes available.

So it offers more than just indexing then?

That's the sort of information I was after. Anything else?

noodles
08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
if something is on usenet, will it definitely be indexed on newzbin?

Broken
08-17-2008, 01:45 AM

So it offers more than just indexing then?

That's the sort of information I was after. Anything else?

Indexing is the main function of the site, it's the selling point of any such site.

There are a few extras like the watchdog thing - but that's secondary. It's simply very well organized, with main categories and subcategories - a very well developed site search that works extremely well do to all the effort put in to the site by the staff tagging each of the entries in several categories to make the search work the way it does. There is just a meticulousness to the organization of all the NZBs that I haven't found elsewhere.

Plus what I've seen of the free sites, including the index on this site, they do not retain NZBs long enough to take advantage of Giganew's outstandingly long 240 day retention. Which I am paying for....

Is it necessary to pay for Newzbin to get the most out of Usenet - No.
It's always possible to search the various groups manually. It's more time consuming, but every indexing site misses some post. In fact, I find the Raw and Condensed views of Usenet available through Newzbin very useful. Sometimes the editor's don't index some of the stuff I am looking for, and I have to take matters into my own hands.

They main thing is, Newzbin is very, very, good at what it does - and it's cheap. It's pocket change. Last Christmas (during the annual half price sell) I paid $20 for an entire year's service.

If you're using Usenet you've already gotten past the entire, "filesharing should be free" thing because of how great Usenet is. Paying a little more change to get the best indexing site for NZBs there is, that's nothing. At some point cheapness is just laughable, and this is that point.

Funkin'
08-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Next time try to use your brain when reading something. I know that you are right in your statement.

You seem very intelligent. ;)

I turns out they aren't and I now know the difference between the 2. I'm even trying out usenet as we speak.
It looks promising indeed :yup:

Well that's good. I'm glad you're liking it. There once was a very kick ass free server that I was using. It would max out my connection and had excellent retention(for a free server). But recently the speeds have went down to around 40kb/s. And to me that's no longer worth using. And now I don't know of any other really good free servers, so your best option is to use a paid server. But they're very cheap.

If you have any questions, or need any help, then don't hesitate to ask questions. Or even pm me. Things can sometimes get a little confusing when it comes to par2's. But once you get past that, Usenet is a breeze. And is much easier than bittorrent, in my opinion.

Plus what I've seen of the free sites, including the index on this site, they do not retain NZBs long enough to take advantage of Giganew's outstandingly long 240 day retention. Which I am paying for....

Actually, some of the free sites are now increasing their indexing to match Giganews upcoming 240 day retention. But I do like the idea of that watchdog feature you mentioned.

BigH
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
yeah - the watchdog facility can be pretty useful

if you're a Virgin Media customer in the UK, they have free server access - they state up to 7 days, but some people have reported up to 50 - and the speeds are pretty decent (no pr0n though)

Broken
08-20-2008, 05:25 AM
yeah - the watchdog facility can be pretty useful

if you're a Virgin Media customer in the UK, they have free server access - they state up to 7 days, but some people have reported up to 50 - and the speeds are pretty decent (no pr0n though)

No porn??
Then what's the point?

Kasen
09-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Newzbin is great for n00bs if you don't know how to find files and for browsing. Everything is nicely categorised and there are lots of filters and search options. The big downside is a lot of good stuff gets missed plus you have to wait hours for reports to be confirmed by Editor Admins. With indexing sites you get updates usually under 15 mins and access to nzbs right away. If you stick solely to human edited sites you may get a bad impression of usenet as they only let you search a fraction of it.

So an idea is start off with a human edited site like newzbin, nzbmatrix, merlins-portal then go on to automated indexing sites like binsearch, newzleech once you know what you're doing.

Beck38
09-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Searching for... what? By filename? Certainly, if you already know the filename, then any search engine will retrieve it for you.

But what if the filename doesn't match what you think? Say, looking for Season 1 Disc 5 of some tv program dvd. Now, if the thing was posted as 'xxxxS1D5' or something like that, pretty darn simple. But what if the poster called it 'yyyyydiscxseasonk' then you're pretty much hosed. The Newzbin editor *hopefully* will have sucked it down, figured out what it was, and indexed it properly as 'Silly TV program, season 1, disc 5'.

That's what makes all the difference. Not every poster posts the 'proper' (whatever that is) title, in fact, a great number of them are pretty darned obtuse.

So, unless one wants to spend the time d/l'ing tons of junk trying to find out what the *heck* it is (I sure used to), it's a good resource. In fact, since they tightend up things with v3 and started requiring the editors to identify the video format of the listed files, one can really do some excellent searches slicing and dicing the listings.

I note a couple others echoed what I just said, and others kinda blew it off. But there is no 'standard' naming convention, far from it. And folks don't post in the most obvious of newsgroups for the material they are uploading.

It's a crapshoot. Newsbin narrows the odds down, sometimes a bit, sometimes a lot. They do miss a lot, and the other indexing sites miss the same (if not more) amount. That's why I d/l headers on a few 'select' newsgroups I've found to have a high incidence of (unindexed)'good stuff' to make it worthwhile.

UsenetGuy
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Newzbin is great for n00bs if you don't know how to find files and for browsing. Everything is nicely categorised and there are lots of filters and search options. The big downside is a lot of good stuff gets missed plus you have to wait hours for reports to be confirmed by Editor Admins. With indexing sites you get updates usually under 15 mins and access to nzbs right away. If you stick solely to human edited sites you may get a bad impression of usenet as they only let you search a fraction of it.

So an idea is start off with a human edited site like newzbin, nzbmatrix, merlins-portal then go on to automated indexing sites like binsearch, newzleech once you know what you're doing.

Well, actually it has better and more search options than the free sites and has no advertisements. You said a lot of good stuff gets missed, well, yeah some good stuff is missed but that's in the reports. There is still a search option named Usenet where it searches a raw Usenet index, like other free sites, and its also updated every 15 minutes or so.. the reports are just an added benefit to make it easier. Also, you only have to wait for your reports to be verified when you first start reporting, after a while you don't. In my opinion, NewzBin is like the GigaNews of indexing sites.

So an idea is to get your information straight before you make a post like that.

fastplumb
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm NOT a paying member of newzbin! but I am a member and have been since they started. I only look at there site to see whats been posted & available for downloading.
Don't forget newzbin has a sister site for porn newzxxx (http://www.newzxxx.com) and even non paying members can D/L there NZBs.:naughty:

omgwtfbbq
09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Newzbin is always my first port of call and it's definitely far better than the free sites thanks to reports. And if you don't want reports then it has the same 'raw' searching as the free sites.

sharkuk
09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Ive used newzbin since day one. Its an easy hassle free way of getting what you want. People say they miss things. Not one site has 100% of everything that gets posted. I ran out of credit a few days ago and have for the last few months been trying differnt sites to see of i can mix and match. Ive now got to use 3/4 sites to replace newzbin but there all free to use. Most things on newzbin get posted quickly but i have noticed before things being posted hours even days after they have been posted elsewhere. But im sure the same can be said for other such sites. Newzbin is a great site if you dont have much time to browse other sites.

maddyks
10-12-2008, 02:49 AM
And I love the fact that it has RSS :) I can just search for what I want - for example, Heroes Season 3 - and set up an RSS. Anytime something gets posted up with that criteria, I get an update. Call me lazy :happy:

51mmz0rz
10-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Can the newzbin RSS feeds be used in SABnzbd+ for automatic downloads? This is the main potential draw for me, as the only good NZB TV RSS feed I've found thus far is TvNZB.com.

Skiz
10-12-2008, 11:47 PM
OK, so I tried Newzbin for a couple weeks and that was a waste of $2 or whatever it was.

It's pointless to pay for that service IMO.

Aether
10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
www.binsearch.info has always had me covered

Funkin'
10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
OK, so I tried Newzbin for a couple weeks and that was a waste of $2 or whatever it was.

It's pointless to pay for that service IMO.

Well I'm glad you said that. I have a newzbin account, but I only use it as an alternative search. But recently I've been thinking that I might pay and try it out just to see if there really is something there that's worth paying for.

But it looks like there isn't. Thanks for sharing.

Skiz
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
www.binsearch.info has always had me covered

I prefer Newzleech as I find that it updates much faster, but between the two, you can find whatever you're looking for. :)

JustDOSE
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
i just got a month credit for 2 bucks and newzbin is not all that great......

rokie
11-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I wou;dn't care for Newzbin. Binsearch.info would do best ;)

lozit
11-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Hellanzb and PADS (http://pads.piesweb.co.uk/) are using Newzbin for automatic download.
i'm still need a newzbin invit to test that combo :p

UsenetGuy
12-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I know this thread is quite old but I thought i'd reply anyway.

I use NewzBin. I've been looking into automated Usenet indexers, there's not that many and most of the ones I found are not that good. They either have bad retention, very poor search or not many groups.

So, as far as I know there are only 3 really good automated usenet indexers. Most of you might have guessed these already? NewzBin, NewzLeech, Binsearch :P

At the time of posting, NewzBin indexes 29,176 newsgroups (65,751 if you include dead or very inactive groups). Binsearch indexes 3,607 newsgroups. The winner out of these two is obvious, I would like to compare it to NewzLeech too but I can't find a page where it says exactly how many groups they have. Though my guess is that it will be similar to the number of groups that binsearch indexes. But, if anyone has more information, let me know.

There are other reasons why I like NewzBin too, it's layout is much better than that of NewzLeech and BinSearch. Not to mention they have users dedicated to making reports, incase you prefer those over the raw index.

You get what you pay for IMO. NewzBin is like GigaNews of Usenet indexers ;)