View Full Version : bsod with no stop error

kooftspc11
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
i recently got a bsod without an stop error on one of my old machines

any ideas?

could a hdd jumper setting be to blame?

Detale
08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Well at this point anything could be to blame. You are going to need to give specs and hopefully have an arsenal of parts to swap out.

kooftspc11
08-13-2008, 12:21 AM
asus a7n8x-e deluxe
amd athlon xp 3000+
1gb pny ddr400
hdd western digital 60gb (jumper is still set to master because there was previously another drive in the pc but i took that one out)

i can provide whatever more specs you need. i hadn't booted this pc for about 6 months but i needed to retrieve a file from it so i turned it on and yeah....bsod after a few minutes.

Detale
08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
If all you need is to get a file out you can remove the HDD and plug it in to your current rig and get it that way. Then try a clean install of the OS that should work.

kooftspc11
08-13-2008, 01:08 AM
If all you need is to get a file out you can remove the HDD and plug it in to your current rig and get it that way. Then try a clean install of the OS that should work.

i think what caused the bsod was this...

as i was browsing files on the pc i did a windows search for another file. once the search results came up i tried to access the file and up came the bsod. when i booted the computer again and performed the search again i realized that the path led to local disk F. i had removed local disk F from that pc quite some time ago. i think what happened was that the machine tried to access a file on a drive that no longer exists hence the bsod

any thoughts?

Detale
08-13-2008, 02:27 AM
That alone shouldn't cause the Blue Screen. It should say something like this disk is not accessible or the like

kooftspc11
08-13-2008, 03:33 AM
That alone shouldn't cause the Blue Screen. It should say something like this disk is not accessible or the like

yeah that true

i really have no clue as to what caused it :(

Acid_death69
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
asus a7n8x-e deluxe
amd athlon xp 3000+
1gb pny ddr400
hdd western digital 60gb (jumper is still set to master because there was previously another drive in the pc but i took that one out)

i can provide whatever more specs you need. i hadn't booted this pc for about 6 months but i needed to retrieve a file from it so i turned it on and yeah....bsod after a few minutes.
why dont you just take the HDD and put it in a new machine then get the file?

kooftspc11
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
asus a7n8x-e deluxe
amd athlon xp 3000+
1gb pny ddr400

why dont you just take the HDD and put it in a new machine then get the file?

ive done that already

im just wondering what may have caused the problem :)

Detale
08-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Well to address your initial post I don't think a HDD jumper could cause it unless you changed it. My opinion as to why this happened.... Ghosts man, ghosts. I am having my share of them ATM. Did you do a clean install to see if things are working properly now?

kooftspc11
08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Well to address your initial post I don't think a HDD jumper could cause it unless you changed it. My opinion as to why this happened.... Ghosts man, ghosts. I am having my share of them ATM. Did you do a clean install to see if things are working properly now?

i ran memtest and it found 2048 errors...the psu died shortly after

i guess that goes to explain some of what went wrong but its strange because it was all working fine last time i used that pc.

*shrug*

i will switch out the psu and try and isolate the bad ram....will do a reinstall then and see if the problem is fixed. it's not like i ever use that pc anymore but still frustrating when something like this happens and there is no solution to it :(

lynx
08-14-2008, 08:21 AM
If your psu was dying, it was probably throwing unrectified voltage down the power buses. That could cause all sorts of problems and possible failures. I suggest you run the memory tests again after you've sorted out the psu, there may be nothing wrong with the memory.

Even if further testing still says there's a fault, it's possible that the fault lies elsewhere (motherboard or cpu) which is showing up as a memory problem. Check the same memory in another system before declaring it faulty.

kooftspc11
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
If your psu was dying, it was probably throwing unrectified voltage down the power buses. That could cause all sorts of problems and possible failures. I suggest you run the memory tests again after you've sorted out the psu, there may be nothing wrong with the memory.

Even if further testing still says there's a fault, it's possible that the fault lies elsewhere (motherboard or cpu) which is showing up as a memory problem. Check the same memory in another system before declaring it faulty.

unfortunately i dont have another system that takes ddr400 :(

Chewie
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM

unfortunately i dont have another system that takes ddr400 :(
I have one here but you'd need to pay shipping and if I said it was bad you probably wouldn't believe me anyway.