PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting this board

Detale
08-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Thoughts opinions??
ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297)

http://usa.asus.com/999/images/products/2257/2257_l.JPG

Anyone have any idea if the P45 or the X48 chipset is better??
Basically I think my mobo may be faulty and I want to try an asus anyway, never had one before.

The only thing is in the specs it says it has 8 sata 300's but I only see 4 am I blind??

MaaxHimself
08-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Theres 4 on the reverse

apextwin146
08-14-2008, 07:19 AM
what do u have with u right now and what r u looking for ...
anyways its a pretty average board out there .. u cud wait for a decrease in mobo prices come this september end i think ...

lynx
08-14-2008, 08:09 AM
I've no experience of either chipset, but from the specs I'd have to say that the board you've shown there sounds better, handling dual channel DDR2 at 1200MHz vs 1066MHz.

I believe the other SATA 4 connectors are side on, 2 either side of the IDE connector, 2 red, 2 orange. If I'm wrong then I'm at a loss to figure out what else those connectors could be. :blink:

apextwin146
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
^ but shudnt he wait for DDR3 as its gonna get a lot cheaper a real soon

lynx
08-14-2008, 08:38 AM
^^ Not if he wants to replace his mobo NOW.

apextwin146
08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
i dont "NOW" mentioned in his post anywhere ..
Anyways if u dont want DDR3 then its a different ballgame as pointed out by lynx ..

accat13
08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/05/28/asus-p5q-deluxe-intel-p45-has-arrived/2
a little more detail

Detale
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys. Well I could do it now or I could wait a bit. My current board is ok but I think it may be on its way out and I hate to be without a main computer for any amt of time. I do have my HTPC rig that works fine.

I am looking for something that will be a kick ass board that can overclock well. DDR 3 hmmm I don't know for sure yet I do like teh speeds but still Im unsure.

mr. nails
08-15-2008, 04:50 AM
we've got the same board and i love mine. i have NO problems. what's wrong with urs?

apextwin146
08-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys. Well I could do it now or I could wait a bit. My current board is ok but I think it may be on its way out and I hate to be without a main computer for any amt of time. I do have my HTPC rig that works fine.

I am looking for something that will be a kick ass board that can overclock well. DDR 3 hmmm I don't know for sure yet I do like teh speeds but still Im unsure.
Unless u r a rich fella who updates his rig like every 6months then wait for prices to stabalise and ge urself a DDR3 board ...

clocker
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
One thing to keep in mind as the newer stuff rolls out...

I think it highly unlikely that DDR3 will ever reach the rockbottom price levels we now see with DDR2.
Current cheap RAM is the result of a perfect storm type scenario involving new fabs, overproduction and cheap shipping. We already know what happened to cheap shipping and, much like OPEC, the major producers have curtailed production to stabilize pricing.

Although DDR3 has come down in price from former eyebleed levels, I'm betting it will still be expensive for quite a while.

Detale
08-16-2008, 07:03 AM
we've got the same board and i love mine. i have NO problems. what's wrong with urs?

Hey Nails how you been? I am seeing my Q6600 not being able to OC much anymore without restarts/trouble. I asked around and wise clocker suggested it may be the MoBo itself. Then the other day I lost my RAID out of no where 3 750's in raid 0 500 gigs of Movies music and pictures :frusty: . This is adding to my fear of my mobo being troubled. I am thinking of going DDR3 but honestly I don't know much about it pros/cons? Glad to hear your board is going well tho :)

What firmware are you using ATM?
You still using the wolfdale? Speeds?

Unless u r a rich fella who updates his rig like every 6months then wait for prices to stabalise and ge urself a DDR3 board ...

Well no Im not rich, but I do update my rig around every 6 months. It's kind of my hobby so I don'tmind spending a few bucks now and again.

One thing to keep in mind as the newer stuff rolls out...

I think it highly unlikely that DDR3 will ever reach the rockbottom price levels we now see with DDR2.
Current cheap RAM is the result of a perfect storm type scenario involving new fabs, overproduction and cheap shipping. We already know what happened to cheap shipping and, much like OPEC, the major producers have curtailed production to stabilize pricing.

Although DDR3 has come down in price from former eyebleed levels, I'm betting it will still be expensive for quite a while.

I agree that I don't thing DDR3 will come down for at least a year maybe more. What do you think bro? Money isn't really the issue (to a degree) but if I go DDR3 do you think:

a) is it worth it? Pros/Cons

b) What board looks good to you $300 range??

c) What kind of performance increase are we talking about here?

clocker
08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Haven't really looked into it, TBH.
I did just read a roundup of DDR3 (here) (http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/memory/DDR3_Roundup/) and was somewhat disturbed to see that two of them wouldn't even run at their rated speeds.
Whether this was due to board or memory issues, I don't know but I'm planning on sitting out the first year of the transition.
My current setup works fine and I don't do anything that requires more horsepower. I need hard drives first and I'm still holding out for SSDs.

Detale
08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Really Solid state!? I didn't know but they're pricey as hell, even for me. Meh maybe I'll wait till the new CPU's and do the whole rig over.

lynx
08-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I'd like to go for SSD too, but at the moment the options seem to be single-level cells for speed (and high price) or multi-level cells for size. I wonder what the wafer size is for the latest devices, how soon it will come down, or even if it is relevant.

What I really find worrying though is the (possibly-mis)quoted access time of 3.5ms. Although that sounds faster than conventional drives, you have to remember that for conventional drives the quoted delay is the average, and assumes a full drive with data allocated randomly. If you have a sparsely occupied drive or the opportunity to organise your data the access time could be reduced considerably on a conventional drive, so if those quoted figures are correct then the SSD drive could actually work out slower, particularly for the MLC devices.

I believe Samsung and M$ are in discussions on ways to improve performance by adjusting the block size, but if 3.5ms access time is a real figure then there's still some way to go before these drives can really expect to take off.

Detale
08-17-2008, 04:31 AM
I always thought SSD's were slower but more reliable. I thought that was their drawback along with the price of course.

Still guys I need a good recommendation for a really good mobo DDR2 now please, Thanks

Invalid
08-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Thats a nice board you got there, i'm stuck on my cheap Gigabyte DS3L. Wanna trade? lol

clocker
08-17-2008, 01:40 PM
...I need a good recommendation for a really good mobo DDR2 now please, Thanks
What CPU are you using?
If my Gigabyte (GA-P35-DS4) were to die I'd probably try a DFI of one sort or another.
Maybe this one... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136037)

apextwin146
08-17-2008, 02:44 PM
y not ABT IP-35 pro ? Rock Solid and overclocks well ..

Detale
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Update: Now my reset button doesn't work either. I unpluged the header and reconnected it but Nope no good. I did reinstall my raid 0 but I don't trust it for 5hit.

Thats a nice board you got there, i'm stuck on my cheap Gigabyte DS3L. Wanna trade? lol

Thats not a bad board at all I have that one in my HTPC and have never had any problems at all. It sat on a shelf for 6+ months I hooked it up and it started no problems what so ever.

...I need a good recommendation for a really good mobo DDR2 now please, Thanks
What CPU are you using?
If my Gigabyte (GA-P35-DS4) were to die I'd probably try a DFI of one sort or another.
Maybe this one... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136037)
I am going to stick the q6600 in it until the newer chips come out so I'm going to need a speedier FSB I think.

This is the board you would go with really? Seems a bit "low tech" for the likes of you man. 800Mhz fsb ram standard and no Esata ports on the board. Only 6 sata headers. Hmmm C'mon man I know you of all people can do better that this :P

y not ABT IP-35 pro ? Rock Solid and overclocks well ..

I'll look into this one I like the FSB being 1600 but I don't know much about ABit boards.

What do you guys think of these??
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284) Comes with a sound card!? Oddly I can't find info on the asus site ,weird

ASUS P5Q Deluxe (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297)

hmhef
08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
to reply to the original post about P45 vs. X48:
the main differnce is that X48 has the ability to make both GFX slots work at 16x speed when crossfired, where in the P45 , if one card , then it works at x16, but if added another card in crossfire, then it drops to x8 each

to make sure on any other diffrnces check asus website :-)

Detale
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
From what I'v read it not 8 each. The 1st card will stay at 16 but the 2nd will only go to 4.

lynx
08-20-2008, 09:13 AM
From what I'v read it not 8 each. The 1st card will stay at 16 but the 2nd will only go to 4.
That was true for the P35.
The P45 chipset can handle both at 8x.

But is an Intel chipset even the right solution at all? If you are going to be adding lots of peripherals (and, based on your question about the sata ports, I assume you are) then you might want to consider other options.

Intel still haven't grasped the nettle and sorted out the bottleneck that is the link between northbridge and southbridge chips. They've almost got the southbridge chip sorted out with the ICH10(R). Other than that, 6x3Gb/s Sata, 12x480Mb/s USB2.0, 6x0.5GB/s PCI-e x1 etc sounds great, until you work out that all that data can't go anywhere because the link between the Northbridge and Southbridge chips is only 2GB/s. The sata buses alone can overwhelm that sort of performance.

Presumably they base this bottleneck on the assumption that no-one will utilise ALL the availabe bandwidth, but the point is that people who want to build high performance systems will do exactly that. Intel just don't seem to be able to produce advances in more than one field at any one time. While they are busy advancing one area of their business, the rest seems to stagnate. The smell from this stagnant pool has surely got to be getting embarrassing.

Intel may have stolen the lead in processor design, but they've still got a long way to go in terms of chipset interfaces. With the bandwidth of HyperTransport 3.1 now over 25GB/s (over 50GB/s bi-directionally), Intel has a lot of catching up to do.

Detale
08-20-2008, 09:42 PM
You smart bastard! Whats the solution then? Go AMD?

lynx
08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Having looked at what's around, perhaps the Nvidia 790i chipset?

Unless you are serious about needing Crossfire of course.

To be honest, I can't work out what the graphic card designers are playing at. To my mind both ATI and Nvidia need a big slap. The original offerings of SLI and Crossfire needed motherboard support to balance out the bandwidth on the PCIe bus. With the latest PCIe 2.0 bus allowing independent x16 channels there's absolutely no reason whatsoever why that should be necessary, considering that SLI and CrossfireX both have their links via over-the top connections. The only possible reason why it shouldn't work is if they are breaking the PCIe 2.0 standards, and if they are doing that they need 2 slaps.

It's like a bus company saying that not only do you need a ticket to ride on the bus, they also have to tell the driver to look out for someone who may have a ticket, yet the bus will still run no matter what. Absolutely crazy.