PDA

View Full Version : No More Snooping

The_Hunter
08-21-2003, 02:27 PM
I have aol so whats the best way of stopping people viewing my hard drive i'm sick of everywhere you go they show you whats on your drive, dont want anything that effects sending or receiving or memory hungry programs.

boyzeee
08-21-2003, 02:34 PM
install a firewall, norton personal firewall is good and user friendly and aol isnt called aohell for nothing, get rid and get a decent isp. :D

4play
08-21-2003, 02:58 PM
erm make sure you take into account that they cannot see your hdd. only you can see it no info is sent to their server.

so your pretty secure with a firewall and anti - virus

shn
08-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Get another isp for starters.

ghost944
08-21-2003, 03:39 PM
nobody gets to see your Hd but you on those web sited so there is nothing to be afraid off, all it is is a link like this file:\\C:\
so they are not snooping on your hd it is just you browsing your Hd ;) ;) ;) ;)

Storm
08-21-2003, 04:21 PM
should there be a sticky 4 aol users bout them getting a diffrent ISP first, then start complaining LoL

Jay
08-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by shn@21 August 2003 - 16:30
Get another isp for starters.
how will that help

ghost944
08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
it has nothing to do with AOL it is the websites he is visiting.
websites have links which link to the images ect which you see on a site the reason you see your HDD on the websites you are visiting is because the author of the website has added the link.

file:\\C:\

type that in your browser and you will see your HDD this is all they do they are not snooping around your data so you are fine you would see these no matter what ISP you are on so there is no reason to change your ISP if you are happy with it. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

shn
08-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ghost944@21 August 2003 - 11:45
it has nothing to do with AOL it is the websites he is visiting.
websites have links which link to the images ect which you see on a site the reason you see your HDD on the websites you are visiting is because the author of the website has added the link.

file:\\C:\

type that in your browser and you will see your HDD this is all they do they are not snooping around your data so you are fine you would see these no matter what ISP you are on so there is no reason to change your ISP if you are happy with it. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I typed it in c, e, and h the way you have it and I didnt see any of my harddrives :huh:

Furthermore, Ive never seen a web site do what he is refering to.

And anyone who is satisified with any aspect of AOL should be chained and whipped. <_<

callum
08-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by shn@21 August 2003 - 19:22
I typed it in c, e, and h the way you have it and I didnt see any of my harddrives :huh:

It works if you type just C:&#092;
or
file://localhost/C:/

No Idea how to put it into a clickable link.