PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown problem

staticzip
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
In my friend PC, when he gives shutdown the system restarts, he uses windows xp pro with sp2, what may be the problem

Acid_death69
08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
what? when he tries to shut the system down it restarts?

db_la_23
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
check the ram first. r m b the os has got corrupted. r it m b a virus.

clocker
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Look here. (http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php)

staticzip
08-20-2008, 04:50 AM
system is working fine, when he tries to shut down it restarts

db_la, its not the ram problem

lynx
08-20-2008, 07:42 AM
The system is almost certainly getting a "Blue screen of death" fault, and is set to perform an automatic restart after such an error. Your friend needs to determine the cause of that error, but of course that's hard to do when the system reboots before you get chance to see the error. Not exactly Microsoft's finest decision to make this the default option.

The solution is to turn off automatic restart.
Right click on "My Computer", select properties.
Choose the "Advanced" tab and click on the "Settings" button in the box marked "Startup and Recovery".
Uncheck the box marked "Automatically restart" and click "OK" and "OK".

When the system next shuts down the cause of the fault will be clearly seen. Record the details and someone can advise you how to resolve the issue. Without the information everyone is just floundering in the dark.

Btw, all that info is at the top of the page clocker linked to, but it's easy to miss under the mass of information given there.

clocker
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Btw, all that info is at the top of the page clocker linked to, but it's easy to miss under the mass of information given there.
I like to think of that "mass of information" as an "abundance of riches".
It's all in how you look at it really.

staticzip
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
lynx thanks for your suggestion, i have received a blue screen error saying
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage comp IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen..........

Technical Information

***stop: 0x0000000A (0x00000018, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804F4 2(A)

This is what its giving, any soultions now to shutdown the computer

Detale
08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
unplug that bitch that'll shut her down. Make sure you back all your stuff up first tho

staticzip
08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
hey Detale i didn't get what you have said

lynx
08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
This is what I use as the starting point to tracking down BSOD messages:
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

That in itself would lead you to suppose that this could be the cause:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806&sd=RMVP

Even if your friend hasn't got Roxio Easy CD Creator installed, some of its drivers are sometimes installed with other software.
But, in theory, driver could be causing this problem. If there's a driver mentioned on the BSOD that's probably the cause. If not, you need to try to work out what hardware or software was installed immediately before this condition started.

Either way you need to try to find driver updates. If you look at the lower part of the Microsoft KB page you'll see that even uninstalling the software does not always remove the drivers, so this one can be a real problem to resolve.

In a way you are lucky that this occurs at shutdown not at startup. Microsoft's solution for resolving the problem when it occurs at startup is total nonsense for the simple reason that you can't get the machine to the position where you can perform their solution. :frusty: