PDA

View Full Version : On Strike

Biggles
08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Now the workers
have struck for fame
'Cause Lennon's on sale again

well more dosh hactually - not sure of the wisdom but a democratic vote is a democratic vote :dabs:

Skweeky
08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Are you on strike as well?

Our binmen are on strike tomorrow.
So they came round on Sunday to collect the rubbish.

Makes sense that does.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Pointless, more money will not be forthcoming.

Biggles
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Best I think we can hope for is trigger clause that will kick in if inflation is in excess of x (although as inflation is already at 5% what x might be is worrying)

Biggles
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM

Makes sense that does.

Sunday = double time

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Best I think we can hope for is trigger clause that will kick in if inflation is in excess of x (although as inflation is already at 5% what x might be is worrying)

They renege on those deals anyway.

There are 30,000 Council workers going on strike. That's a days pay saved, well in excess of a £1,000,000 I would have thought. With the public getting annoyed at the strikers, not the Council.

The Council are probably wetting themselves laughing. Bring on the 3 day strike you threatened they'll be saying.

It's a pointless stupid tactic.

Skweeky
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Makes sense that does.

Sunday = double time

The public doesn't care about that. It would only annoy them if the rubbish didn't get collected.

What are they striking for anyway? A pay rise? So inflation can increase even more. It's a bloody vicious circle, every child knows that.

Biggles
08-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm inclined to agree but having called it and it being voted one is somewhat swept up in the current. A long lie beckons tomorrow though.

The proposed work to rule will cause far more grief. In my last place the "not my job" industrial action nearly brought the place to a standstill and everybody got full pay too. A far more effective strategy imho. However, as you say, the Treasury have closed the purse strings because we are apparently broke.

Quite how we will match the Chinese Olympics in four years is anyone's guess.

Skweeky
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Pffft, a striking accountant. :snooty:

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Work to rule is the way to go cause them pain and get paid.

The last couple of DWP ones were a disgrace. They asked other people to go out in support but the staff themselves were working weekends to make up the difference and clear the backlog.

I have this on very good authority.

chalice
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
They come out on Sunday for double time. True story. The binmen that is.

Happened round our way a couple of weeks ago.

I don't get that. If you're on strike, you're on strike. You can't just go, 'I'm only on strike during the week but if'in I'm a gettin' Sunday overtime I'm a gonna take it'.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
See my last mate.

Biggles
08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Sunday = double time

The public doesn't care about that. It would only annoy them if the rubbish didn't get collected.

What are they striking for anyway? A pay rise? So inflation can increase even more. It's a bloody vicious circle, every child knows that.

True, if inflation is 5% and you get 6% then in a small way you contribute to the upward trend. If inflation is 5% and you get 2% you are fuxored - especially if it is a three year deal and inflation stays at 5%. In effect, that would be like there is no inflation and one was offered over three years a 10% pay reduction. Not a vote winner from millions of public sector workers (not, I suspect, that the Westminster Government is expecting to win).

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:55 PM
If you're getting offered 2% per year take it, you won't get any better.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm kind of buffered because of the promotion, progression payments in addition to performance.

Aren't you the same.

Biggles
08-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Accountants are people too ..

:ermm: or at least nearly.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Accountants are people too ..

:ermm: or at least nearly.

Well ... technically.

Skweeky
Don't flatter yourself too much now.

Biggles
I'm kind of buffered because of the promotion, progression payments in addition to performance.

Aren't you the same.

Yes, I'm just being altruistic.

I wish NICE hadn't vetoed the drugs to help with that though :(

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Aren't you the same.

Altruism in a bean counter. The mind biggles.

Do you see what I did there.

Skweeky
08-19-2008, 08:06 PM
What's a bean counter?

Biggles
08-19-2008, 08:07 PM

I did, I did :01:

My boss said I was a traitor to the cause. He also gets me to explain all the pay deals too :idunno:

chalice
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Also, it fucks my job up to the max.

I can't pay anyone overtime until they have completed their contracted hours for the week. This is typically 40 hours. Anything they work after that falls into a new bracket/calculation for increments/premium rates.

How can the CC justify paying overtime rates to employees who have not completed their obligated hours?

brotherdoobie
What's a bean counter?

Les.

-bd

Biggles
What's a bean counter?

A loving term of endearment for accountants (as in an abacus)

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

I can't pay anyone overtime until they have completed their contracted hours for the week. This is typically 40 hours. Anything they work after that falls into a new bracket/calculation for increments/premium rates.

How can the CC justify paying overtime rates to employees who have not completed their obligated hours?

I think it's probably because they have a Mon-Fri contract rather than a 5 from 7.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
What's a bean counter?

Les.

-bd

As opposed to Lesie, which is a bean flicker.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 08:13 PM

My boss said I was a traitor to the cause. He also gets me to explain all the pay deals too :idunno:

Is he an accountant.

brotherdoobie
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM

A cluster fuck of a bureaucracy, eh?

-bd :wacko:

chalice
08-19-2008, 08:17 PM

I think it's probably because they have a Mon-Fri contract rather than a 5 from 7.

Still not quite on board there mate.

Their contract must stipulate the working week which will invariably include weekends at request.

Overtime isn't overtime unless you've worked over the working week innit.

chalice
08-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Double post.

I don't get paid for that.

Biggles
08-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Is he an accountant.

Yes, he is a good egg really. I am just better at deciphering the labyrinth text that goes with a pay deal. Just read the Home Office one because we have some Home Office peeps. Opening page says that the offer should be simple and transparent - it runs to 40 pages and requires three calculators and a slide rule :lol:

actually it is awful! worse than ours.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Their contract must stipulate the working week which will invariably include weekends at request.

Some people get paid different rates for the weekend, as part of their contract. In addition they may be paid supplements. So a Sunday isn't double time per se, it's the overtime rate (say time and a half) plus the Sunday supplement.

Because of this they lose their Wednesday pay because they didn't work it, but get paid for the Sunday at a higher rate. That's not the same as getting paid O/T for anything more than your contracted hours.

You're rodding me aren't you. Cunt. It's what you do for a living.

chalice
08-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Some people get paid different rates for the weekend, as part of their contract. In addition they may be paid supplements. So a Sunday isn't double time per se, it's the overtime rate (say time and a half) plus the Sunday supplement.

Because of this they lose their Wednesday pay because they didn't work it, but get paid for the Sunday at a higher rate. That's not the same as getting paid O/T for anything more than your contracted hours.

You're rodding me aren't you. Cunt. It's what you do for a living.

No rod. I really think that CC unions (manifold as they are) are taking the fucking pish.

Agrajag
08-19-2008, 09:16 PM
It doesn't help their case when they go on a days strike ad make more money from it.