PDA

View Full Version : US Medals table

ilw
08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
It has just been pointed out to me that some US newspapers, tv news etc are looking at a medals table where the US is winning:

United States 26 28 28 82
China 45 14 20 79
Russia 13 14 18 45
Britain 16 10 11 37
Australia 11 12 13 36

Whereas everyone else in the world (and i do mean everyone) is looking at the IOC official medals table which prioritises golds and looks like this:

China 44 14 19 77
Great Britain 16 10 11 37
Russia 13 14 18 45
Australia 11 12 13 35

Feeling a little inferior are we? Not accustomed to being second rate perhaps?

Skiz
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
It has just been pointed out to me that some US newspapers, tv news etc are looking at a medals table where the US is winning:

Whereas everyone else in the world (and i do mean everyone) is looking at the IOC official medals table which prioritises golds and looks like this:

China 44 14 19 77
Great Britain 16 10 11 37
Russia 13 14 18 45
Australia 11 12 13 35

Feeling a little inferior are we? Not accustomed to being second rate perhaps?

Both of those show the USA winning in the total medal count.

It just depends on how you want to view the results. By gold medals or by total medals.

Quit stereotyping, troll. You anti-Americans will find anything you feel you can spin against us. :dry:

NA_Magus
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Because obviously the American people are in charge of their media...right? Almost every host does exceptionally well at their Olympics.
So who's feeling inferior?

ilw
08-20-2008, 11:39 PM
hmm missing the point perhaps, the medals tables were supposed to have the same contents, but obviously one of them is more up to date.

The point was that nobody ranks countries by total number of medals, its always done by how many golds, so China is the leading nation in this olympics by a long way (no doubt helped by its host nation status)

What i found funny was that certain Merkin media outlets "coincidently" decided now was a good time to rank countries by total medals.

US no. 1! Go team

NA_Magus
08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I know NBC has started doing that and I agree it shouldn't be like that, but they have every right to present the same information the way they want. Just because some outlets do so, it doesn't mean we all (or any of us...) have some inferiority complex. So what was the point of this thread other than to troll?

Skiz
08-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Looking at some non-American sites, its seems they are ranked in different ways.

The BBC ranks them by gold medals, while CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) ranks them by total medals earned, so no, not everyone else ranks them differently.

Would you like to whine about how we notate our dates differently as well?

You couldn't beat JP or chalice or several others who've passed through here in rodage quantity, or quality, if you tried, hard.

And you'd be doing it in a fashion less interesting than a brick. A gray one.

Cheese
08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not surprised because they've usually done it the way they're currently doing it.

I have no time for runners-up or third-placers so, as long as they remain in the lead for gold medals, I shall be declaring China the winners of the 2008 Olympics.

From the official site:

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not recognise global ranking per country; the medal tables are displayed for information only.

The medal tables by country are based on the number of medals won, with gold medals taking priority over silver and bronze. A team victory counts as one medal.

So really, there isn't an officially correct way to represent the data. Rather, it is up to the broadcaster. Though I think that most of the world agrees gold counts for more than 1st and 2nd placed losers.

wardawgg
08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
well i wish i could say Jamaica has lots of gold medal, or lots of medals in total but i can't, so i'll not get into this total medal fight, but our medals are history making ones, heheh, go usian bolt

peat moss
08-23-2008, 08:41 AM
What a load of crap , who gets the most medals wins . Totals count where I come from . Nice to see great performances from the lesser nations , my country Canada included .

Well see how many medals China gets in the winter games .Don't get me wrong their deserving of all their medals , diving and gymnastics was outstanding . Can they play Hockey ? Nope nope ..

well i wish i could say Jamaica has lots of gold medal, or lots of medals in total but i can't, so i'll not get into this total medal fight, but our medals are history making ones, heheh, go usian bolt

I'm waiting for the bubble to burst , doping comes to mind . I say this in jest as most of the great Jamaican runners were wearing Canadian flags . That in it's self just seems so wrong , participate under the colours of your natural born country and be proud of it . Is that so much to ask ? :dabs:

I want add that I'v been watching most of the high lites of the games with my wife and youngest son and marveled at the skill of the athletes . We just complained when it seemed the judges were biased ,not at the country or the athlete that was trying their best . Life is never fair but always seems to have a silver lining , my son whats to try out for track and field and that's great .

Skiz
08-23-2008, 09:10 AM
What a load of crap , who gets the most medals wins . Totals count where I come from . Nice to see great performances from the lesser nations , my country Canada included .

I agree. Silver and bronze have to count for something.

Besides, I can be completely subjective and see both totals independently, and even evaluate the significance of each. For me, viewing the total medal count or the total gold medals both hold a relative importance.

I can (and do) look at NBC's medal standings and recognize both totals.

MCHeshPants420
08-23-2008, 01:04 PM

I agree. Silver and bronze have to count for something.

They count for something but not as much as a gold imo.

Currently China trail USA by 9 medals in total but have 17 more gold medals. I think China have more of a claim of "winning" the games on that basis (as it stands).

A points system would be fairest. If you agree Gold > Silver > Bronze and award points on a 3,2,1 basis then USA would only be 4 points behind China on current standings. But perhaps the points for each medal should be higher to reflect that a gold medal far outweighs the loser medals.

Or they could try the Aussie way:

. . . a medal tally ranked by the total number of medals won per head of capita. As Australia has a small population, compared to most countries, of about 20 million but has also won a lot of medals, this put them firmly in number one. Think of our joy in New Zealand when that same system saw New Zealand in second, due to our tiny population of only 4 million.

Here's some other ideas (not sure how up-to-date it is but you get the idea(S)) :

POINTS SCORED (THREE FOR GOLD, TWO FOR SILVER, ONE FOR BRONZE)

RANK COUNTRY TOTAL
1 China 212
2 United States 190
3 Russia 101
4 Great Britain 89
5 Australia 77
6 Germany 67
=7 France 56
=7 South Korea 56
9 Japan 48
10 Italy 45

POPULATION PER MEDAL

RANK COUNTRY TOTAL
1 Bahamas 307,451
2 Jamaica 311,592
3 Slovenia 401,542
4 New Zealand 463,717
5 Australia 502,459
6 Armenia 593,717
7 Belarus 645,717
8 Estonia 653,803
9 Norway 663,499
10 Lithuania 713,041

GDP - BILLION DOLLARS PER MEDAL

RANK COUNTRY TOTAL
1 North Korea 0.36
2 Jamaica 0.53
3 Zimbabwe 0.85
4 Armenia 1.28
5 Georgia 1.29
6 Tajikistan 1.40
7 Krygzstan 1.41
8 Mongolia 1.57
9 Togo 2.21
10 Belarus 2.46

NUMBER OF ATHLETES AT GAMES PER MEDAL WON

RANK COUNTRY TOTAL
1 Uzbekistan 2
2 Jamaica 2.95
3 Panama 3
3 Togo 3
5 Zimbabwe 3.25
6 Afghanistan 4
7 Indonesia 4.8
8 Georgia 5.83
9 US 5.95
10 Tajikistan 6.5

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7576446.stm

peat moss
08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I found an interesting take on the whole medal thing here :

" Host China will finish as the top gold-medal winner for the first time in Olympic history, becoming the only nation other than the U.S. and Soviet Union to win the most titles at a Summer Games since 1948.

With a lead over the U.S. of 49 golds to 34 and only 12 events left, the Chinese team can't be caught. Gold medals in canoeing and table tennis lifted China to the top of the tally today, the second-to-last day of the Beijing Games. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aDF2U75hbl8M&refer=us