PDA

View Full Version : Whats your average download speed?

.KNK
08-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Im trying to get a feel for how fast usenet usually downloads. I know its fast compared to other protocols but I'd like to see some specific numbers.

So maybe give what you get on http downloads and bittorent downloads, and of course your usenet speeds too. Also your dowload bandwidth limit to see it as percent.

thanks.

JustDOSE
08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
maxed out........

.KNK
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Oh sweet. How much difference does it make how far you are from the server? say Netherlands to America.

Also when usenet is using almost all of your bandwidth does browsing the net prety much come to a stand still or what? or do you need to limit your news reader on how much bandwidth to use.

JustDOSE
08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh sweet. How much difference does it make how far you are from the server? say Netherlands to America.

Also when usenet is using almost all of your bandwidth does browsing the net prety much come to a stand still or what? or do you need to limit your news reader on how much bandwidth to use.

try to get a server in your country but it varies, but most providers provide server close to you

when browsing it makes almost no diff unless u open apps like a streaming vid like youtube, you can even cap ur download to spare yourself some bandwidth to play with :fst:

.KNK
08-24-2008, 01:51 AM
oh, sweet. Ive always had problems with bittorent slowing things down, and not even using close to the full bandwidth.

Also I'm getting an account at hitnews.eu because its the only one that I know of that allows multiple users at the same time. Does anyone know if they have a server in the states too? (I know they got one in the Netherlands)

Broken
08-24-2008, 02:08 AM
I download at faster than the advertised speed of my line, so maxed out and then some.

None of the major usenet providers allow multiple users. Most will ban you readily.

.KNK
08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
I know but this one advertises that they do. I'm not sure if they mean at the same time though(is that even technically possible?). Does anyone know?

Funkin'
08-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I also get it a little faster than the max of my home line. Unsenet is definitely the way to go for downloading.

.KNK
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I download at faster than the advertised speed of my line, so maxed out and then some.

None of the major usenet providers allow multiple users. Most will ban you readily.

Sweet I just got an email from hitmail.eu saying you can, you just have to share the connections.

So thats unlimited downloads for 8 people for 100 bucks a year(though obviously someone could use more connections if no one else is gone.)

MultiForce
08-24-2008, 02:11 PM

Sweet I just got an email from hitmail.eu saying you can, you just have to share the connections.

So thats unlimited downloads for 8 people for 100 bucks a year(though obviously someone could use more connections if no one else is gone.)

You should have at least 2 connections per user if you are going to max out you connection.

JustDOSE
08-24-2008, 02:28 PM
oh, sweet. Ive always had problems with bittorent slowing things down, and not even using close to the full bandwidth.

p2p maxes out your upload speed (thus slow as f*ck browsing) usenet doesnt :01:

.KNK
08-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Ah sweet.

And one or 2 connections should be fine, heck I'd be happy with getting half my down speed. Also can you pause and continue downloads automatically? I mean I guess you could just do the parts that you havent done with a new nzb.

Broken
08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Ah sweet.

And one or 2 connections should be fine, heck I'd be happy with getting half my down speed. Also can you pause and continue downloads automatically? I mean I guess you could just do the parts that you havent done with a new nzb.

I don't know how many connections you are going to need to get a decent download rate. Just gotta try it and see how it works out for you.

In every client I have seen, if you shut it down, there is a way to resume the download without anything special being done. No need to even redownload the NZB as you suggested. It should just pick up exactly where it left off.

rippinitup4fun
08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
My line speed is 6 Mb/s and it maxes it and then some for every download I do every time. When I download with rapidshare using something like Flashget I get about 5-5.5 Mb/s

.KNK
08-24-2008, 08:01 PM
really? My line speed is about 700kb/s but I only get about 60kb/s on rapidshare.

JustDOSE
08-24-2008, 10:08 PM
really? My line speed is about 700kb/s but I only get about 60kb/s on rapidshare.

free rapidshare is slow:mellow:

rippinitup4fun
08-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Yes it is, they limit free users speed, I have an account with them.

.KNK
08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I have a premium account too. I thought 60kb/s was like the most anyone ever got on http.

guess not. Now I just wonder why it is for me....

UsenetGuy
08-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Actually, usenet can max out your upload speed.. if you decide to post something ;)

JustDOSE
08-24-2008, 11:52 PM

Actually, usenet can max out your upload speed.. if you decide to post something ;)

if you post a big enough file; youll be posting cr*p (you will post a nuked file), just get a request in, leave the uploading to the the scene :whistling ..... usenet is way diff from p2p, u dont want to upload cr*p from you pc, trust me; .................:fst: no offense bro, do what u want

hitman51
08-25-2008, 03:59 PM

if you post a big enough file; youll be posting cr*p (you will post a nuked file), just get a request in, leave the uploading to the the scene :whistling ..... usenet is way diff from p2p, u dont want to upload cr*p from you pc, trust me; .................:fst: no offense bro, do what u want

what is the benefit of posting stuff?

MultiForce
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM

what is the benefit of posting stuff?

Easier to get requests filled.

JustDOSE
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
if you can get your hand on some screeners or very nice cams , there is a members only club

ezzzy
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
20 meg maxxed out

omgwtfbbq
08-27-2008, 12:08 PM

You have no idea what you're on about, the 'scene' has nothing to do with usenet - all posts are from normal users or groups of them, and without them usenet wouldn't exist. I post all the time from home, it's hardly difficult. RAR your files, create a par2 set, post.

JustDOSE
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM

You have no idea what you're on about, the 'scene' has nothing to do with usenet - all posts are from normal users or groups of them, and without them usenet wouldn't exist. I post all the time from home, it's hardly difficult. RAR your files, create a par2 set, post.

http://www.forumspile.com/Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_(warez) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_%28warez%29)

http://www.aboutthescene.com/thescene/scenerules.html

its called standard's:yup:

omgwtfbbq
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Again, no idea what you're talking about. Usenet has nothing to do with the scene and scene standards are a load of nonsense.

sickest
08-28-2008, 02:13 AM
http://g.photos.cx/312784745-b1.png

but my download limit is uncapped. so if this test was longer it would just keep gaining.

MultiForce
08-28-2008, 09:54 AM

but my download limit is uncapped. so if this test was longer it would just keep gaining.

In your case you are downloading as fast as your HDD allows, not you internet connection :P

sickest
08-30-2008, 07:20 PM

In your case you are downloading as fast as your HDD allows, not you internet connection :P
yea, my hdd limits me. :pinch:

kaante
09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
i get maxed speeds aswell, it fluctuates at times but mostly its maxed

Valoo
09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
With usenet I have my max download speed (~12MB), I don't see the real interest to buy an usenet access if your download speed is the same with P2P ...

McBride
09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
maxed out........

D3lit3
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
1mbps ;)

iLOVENZB
09-14-2008, 09:47 AM
maxed out........

+1, Everyone using my network knows when I'm using Usenet lol.

rokie
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Really depends on your ISP. If your plan is slow, something like a 3mbps line will max out. But if your line is an overkill like 20mbps I think the usenet providers will not hesitate to cap you. The max out thingie is just false hype because no providers really claim that.

iLOVENZB
09-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Really depends on your ISP. If your plan is slow, something like a 3mbps line will max out. But if your line is an overkill like 20mbps I think the usenet providers will not hesitate to cap you. The max out thingie is just false hype because no providers really claim that.

I dont believe all countries will have those kinds of speeds, the highest speed in my country is 8MB and that costs a fortune.

I get maxed with my plan of 1500/256.

mbucari1
09-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Yes it is, they limit free users speed, I have an account with them.
RS isn't slow for those who pay. I also get above the advertised 6Mbps on usenet AND RS.

delimare
09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I have a 50Mbps download rate and Astraweb will give me an average of 30Mbps rate with 20 connections on their SSL server. To put it into perspective, I can pull a 4GB file in about 15 minutes.

Dithersky
09-23-2008, 07:11 PM
8 mb down

dutchmaster420
09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
I always max out my 30MB connection

limpdickkid
09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
At home I've tried only Astraweb and the speed seems to only be limited due tomy internet connection, at 1.7MBps. I tried Hitnews.eu, when it was available to international customers, at University and I managed to get to 8MBps and posting was close to 4MBps, limited I believe by the number of connections PowerPost makes. I'll post again after I do try Astraweb at uni.