PDA

View Full Version : Just got letter from isp. Are they watching now?

endezeichen
08-25-2008, 05:31 AM
So I began downloading The Dark Knight (which was my first mistake)... then I found out about peer guardian and turned it on in the middle of the download. Well, it was too late. I got a letter from my isp listing all of the info. Port #, hash, etc. I've always used protocol encryption, which helps, and am now using peer guardian. I realize movies are what's being watched for the most part. I'm not planning on downloading any more, unless they are tested safe. My question is, is my isp watching for bitorrent traffic now? I'm thinking they probably get dozens of reports a day so they definately have their hands full. If I simply change my port number and tell them I deleted the program (which I have to do), and only relatively safe files, will they know? I understand there's always a chance of an anti-piracy company catching me again, but is my isp on my case too? Thanks

integral
08-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Are you using public sites? I'm guessing that's the only way they're catching on.

endezeichen
08-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Are you using public sites? I'm guessing that's the only way they're catching on.

Yes, I was using btjunkie. Normally though, I don't download movies. Especially brand spankin new ones that are most likely on the watch list. I understand public trackers pose a risk, but I'm not as worried about downloading 5 year old programs and mp3s of bands that aren't exactly popular. Basically, at this point, I'm just worried that my isp is watching the traffic for a little while. I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to appologize and tell them I won't ever do it again. Then I'm going to hang up the phone, and do it again. Is there a chance the isp watching? Even if I change the port number?

integral
08-25-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to do that; to monitor for exact file names. What happens is, and this might not be accurate but I would bet money, is that people who have the rights to those torrents, site on the torrents as peers. And they watch the peer list for certain IPs in countries they have jurisdiction in, or ISPs they have agreements with. They then report the time and filename to the ISP.

What I would do, just to be safe, is to avoid those types of public sites. Trust me, even TorrentLeech is better. And of course use PeerGuardian.

And as for apologizing, just say your 11 year old kid was messing around with bad stuff and she has been corrected in her naughty ways. :)

endezeichen
08-25-2008, 06:12 AM
you better liquidate your assets and file for bankruptcy

you are fucked my friend. you are going down...like a prom date

funny...but cmon man. I'm not afraid of going to jail or anything, I'm just afraid of them shutting off my net. However, even with that in mind, I'm not ready to give up p2p just yet. Just planning on taking less risks. Could always end up downloading a bad file again, but if my isp is watching to make sure I really did delete utorrent, they would be watching the port they detected it on...correct?

kooftspc11
08-25-2008, 06:17 AM
you better liquidate your assets and file for bankruptcy

you are fucked my friend. you are going down...like a prom date

funny...but cmon man. I'm not afraid of going to jail or anything, I'm just afraid of them shutting off my net. However, even with that in mind, I'm not ready to give up p2p just yet. Just planning on taking less risks. Could always end up downloading a bad file again, but if my isp is watching to make sure I really did delete utorrent, they would be watching the port they detected it on...correct?

so its settled

you will enter the following plea...

you will serve 5 years in jail.
you will not lose your internet (per your request). you will, however, be expected to keep current with monthly payments (a total of 60 months) as directed by your isp.

you sure drive a hard bargain

ps...i have some beachfront property in montana if you are interested

integral
08-25-2008, 06:20 AM
lmao..

greasemonkey
08-25-2008, 06:28 AM
don't use public trackers or indexers. plus, PG is a false sense of security. ;)

tutipute
08-25-2008, 06:30 AM
A going away present from me... I know you won't appreciate it now but it might come handy later!

http://fatcitytattoo.com/vaseline.jpg

c0njur
08-25-2008, 07:05 AM
The real question is... why are you using a public tracker? :wacko:

Eargasm
08-25-2008, 07:29 AM
The real question is... why are you using a public tracker? :wacko:

Exactly. Public distribution of copyrighted media is illegal in most provinces. However, private distribution can often be argued as legal. Hence, only share with friends. That said, everyone on private trackers are my friends. lol.

zedex
08-25-2008, 08:00 AM
don't use public trackers or indexers. plus, PG is a false sense of security. ;)

+1 :yup:

th0r
08-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Yes, I was using btjunkie.Oh thank God; I am seeding a Dark Knight .torrent as I type this reply, but fortunately I downloaded it from a private tracker!

becomehokage
08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Yes, I was using btjunkie.Oh thank God; I am seeding a Dark Knight .torrent as I type this reply, but fortunately I downloaded it from a private tracker!
Damn how can you rly watch that shitty cam release?....

becomehokage
08-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Damn how can you rly watch that shitty cam release?....

damn, how can you really watch Lost?
Im not watching lost ffs....Neither heroes or prison break or any of that tv stuff...

th0r
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Damn how can you rly watch that shitty cam release?....I haven't watched it yet and probably won't, it is for upload credit purposes only.

PlayeR
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
That's good to hear, th0r..because I wouldnt watch that cam rls too.. seeding for friends is good though. sharing is caring :)

and for becomehokage, I am big fan of naruto too

dunson
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
There is no reason to respond to your ISP, they are not watching you. Avoid big movies on public trackers.

RoBz
08-25-2008, 12:55 PM

+1 :yup:
+2
This guy is know what he's talking about.

sear
08-25-2008, 05:23 PM
there is no way your isp can tell if you have utorrent installed or not, so don't worry about it. They'd have to hack into your computer and that's not going to happen.

hotshot6473
08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Try to only use private sites and when you do check to see if they use a https:// encryption. One suggestion is Torrentbytes

Eargasm
08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
there is no way your isp can tell if you have utorrent installed or not, so don't worry about it. They'd have to hack into your computer and that's not going to happen.

Or look at the packet headers.

Which of course is were forcing encryption comes in. Although, I read that even encrypted headers can reveal what program was used. Admittedly, I don't know enough about that part.

colbert
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't overreact. There are probably thousands of these letters going out every day and it's more a scare tactic than anything else.

sear
08-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Or look at the packet headers.

Which of course is were forcing encryption comes in. Although, I read that even encrypted headers can reveal what program was used. Admittedly, I don't know enough about that part.

Well I don't know a lot about all that but I think it just tells them you are using Bit-Torrent to transfer data but there's not much you can do to stop them from knowing that.

fstuser
08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about it, then again I'm new to this whole bittorrent scene or whatever you call it lol.

fstuser
08-25-2008, 08:30 PM
What's pg doodes?

deadalive1
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
What's pg doodes?
Peer Guardian

fstuser
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
is that for like bt to protect you?

deadalive1
08-25-2008, 08:38 PM
is that for like bt to protect you?

Google is your friend.:)

kondrae
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
1.) switch over to private trackers
2.) switch to different isp if they give you anymore problems

Squizzle
08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm sure this has already been said, but I'm not going to read 4 pages on this, all I'll say is the letter will be a result of routine standard procedure in dealing with copyright complaints.

It's not in their interest to watch your traffic.

Just stay off the public sites from now on, eh?

Gish
08-26-2008, 01:16 AM
PG is pure shit.. most of the time it blocks legit IP's. don't think it helped you any unless you like a false sense of safety!

Sanka113
08-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Like everyone else has said try to avoid public trackers especially for super popular movie X, that hasn't been out that long. I do occasionally use private trackers for obscure music or for tv shows that aren't yet on my favorite private tracker yet, but TDK is definitely copywright bait.

omgwtfbbq
08-27-2008, 11:56 AM
No ISP monitors users, they just get the emails and pass them on.

hotshot6473
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Not true I have gotton many complaints for my excessive bandwith usage. Every time I call customer service they ask me to stop but I am paying for it so I am going to use it 24/7