PDA

View Full Version : Why speedtest?

flashback3r
08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I've seen that many giveaways require a speedtest. But there's no minimum upspeed requirement. So my question is:

Why do people want speedtests then?

Nemrod
08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
I've seen that many giveaways require a speedtest. But there's no minimum upspeed requirement. So my question is:

Why do people want speedtests then?

Because people need to know that the candidate has a connection that will allow him/her to keep a good ratio in case of being selected.
But in my opinion is one of the most absurd things that can be requested... I could have a 10 Mbps/10Mbps and 12 seeedboxes, but if I donīt like the site I wonīt upload a single bit. Besides, thatīs the easiest thing to fake.

integral
08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
To me, it seems like something people just mimic from other people. As Nemrod said, it's easy to fake yours and just paste someone elses. I feel the same way about ratio proofs, although those are not so easily faked.

Besides, they aren't even useful. If I was a 56k user but had a Torrentflux account hosted on a 100mbit server, my speed test would suck but I could have decent speeds on torrents nonetheless.

If anything, direct profile links should be used for things like this and such (given in private that is).