PDA

View Full Version : members making new sites?

pone44
08-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Why are so many members making their own 0 day sites and advertising them in threads instead of opening in secret or by completing the site(security issues-ect) and entering it into the open signup thread?

I do not remember seeing so many-

"i am starting a new site", threads before....

Is it safe for members to sign up to these sites?

Tokeman
08-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I would steer clear of any new 0 day sites. There are soo many, you just have to question their motives. Why put up a site when there are literally 100's of others doing the exact same thing?

I expect most just want to be cool, and own their own site, which is harmless I guess. But you have to watch out for some one putting up a site just to see if anyone uses the same user/pass on any other sites...

Always use a unique userID and password on any new site you dare to join.

pone44
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Same thing i was thinking. :)

I would steer clear of any new 0 day sites. There are soo many, you just have to question their motives. Why put up a site when there are literally 100's of others doing the exact same thing?

I expect most just want to be cool, and own their own site, which is harmless I guess. But you have to watch out for some one putting up a site just to see if anyone uses the same user/pass on any other sites...

Always use a unique userID and password on any new site you dare to join.

KFlint
08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
i tend to stay away from those new sites, unless they are from people that i trust

anyone can start a tracker in a couple of days of work and in that case, a disaster can be anticipated

and who knows their intention, stealing your password and try to steal your precious accounts...could be

once i was fast on registering to the new 0-day sites to see the potential of them, now i wait until it's established and make sure this site will bring me something more than what i already have, which is rarely the case

make specialize trackers instead, could use a good magazine tracker ;)

integral
08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Some caution is always needed when signing up to a new site, from a user who just registered here to do it. So using a different email/username/password may be in your best interest.

As for starting a new thread for your tracker, it's more publicity. Your own thread makes you stand out more than a post in the open tracker thread, which I admittedly never read.

What I think the biggest issue with all of the threads, is the completion of the tracker at the time of the thread. I think anyone who thinks they can operate a tracker securely, and can contribute something unique to the torrent community as a whole should go for it. But I think making a thread while the tracker has flawed security, default css stylesheets/source, no mods, no anything, is wrong. It's like a game designer releasing a beta of their game, with no graphical rendering, bugs, flawed physics etc.

So to sum it up, I personally think more secure trackers with integrity should come about, since they are a fine addition to the torrent community and reduce the need for people to feel compelled to trade because they can't get into the leet tracker they dream of. But, please make sure they have some users, and the site is fully operational before you make the thread. It makes a better first impression. :)

mrnobody
08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
create tracker -> get invitez to other tracker <= that's all.

lysine
08-29-2008, 11:46 PM

d00d, level 11 or go home!!!!111one

aysomc
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
if any of them didnt suck ass at making and building a site up the right way they would have been coding their site for at least a couple weeks with the help of anyone willing to give it or hire someone who has done it before to fix any security issues. then they would need a beta team to test it all out and try to find any bugs, and those beta members should know how to keep their mouths closed. then maybe after a few months of very hard work it would be ready to let those trusted beta testers start inviting friends. i would never open a site to the public, it just brings in way too many bad people. just look at revolt, they let in 500 people and there are probably less then 50 still left. people just want to have the next big thing but you cant throw something up in a week or 2 and then start advertising on fst and expect good things.

Nemrod
08-30-2008, 12:44 AM

Totally agree!. And the worst: it seems itīs working. :dry:

respawn40
08-30-2008, 02:24 AM

Isn't that what iPwn did :huh:? Or so I heard...

bblogs
08-30-2008, 03:25 AM
...they would have been coding their site for at least a couple weeks

TBH, if I started a tracker I'd be coding for probably 6 months, and it would have a lot more features than default TBDev...

..and on the other hand we have unnamed sysops leaving the default TBDev banner :mellow:

WeldenSmith
08-30-2008, 05:02 AM
Real private trackers, who care about security, don't want any publicity in big or small public forums. I never trust any trackers that come to FST to announce their "arrival" on the torrent scene.

And after reading up on superseed101's history and seeing the big feud here between privatetorrent and ifi, I'm even more confident that serious torrent users should stay away from these new trackers.

Do your homework to determine which new trackers are legit and have a chance to stick around, and which are doomed from the start. Or stick with your established trackers if you don't know what your joining.

integral
08-30-2008, 05:06 AM
iFi didn't intend to be public at all. I think something unfortunate happened to them, as they were a decent tracker before all these negative events took place. As for privatetorrent, I'll save my (un)kind words for some other time. :)

aysomc
08-30-2008, 07:02 AM
...they would have been coding their site for at least a couple weeks

TBH, if I started a tracker I'd be coding for probably 6 months, and it would have a lot more features than default TBDev...

..and on the other hand we have unnamed sysops leaving the default TBDev banner :mellow:

yea but im sure an experienced coder could make a site free of security issues in a couple weeks. im just talking about coding to make it secure. obviously more coding would need to be done but a lot of that would come from the beta testers that i mentioned finding bugs, it shouldnt take more then a few months like i said if you're working on it constantly and not just coming back to it every couple days. and LOL @ sysops leaving default banners, who did that?

bblogs
08-30-2008, 12:53 PM
LOL @ sysops leaving default banners, who did that?

That shall be left for people to discover. :sleep: Like it has been said, people should look into a tracker before joining ;)

Artemis
08-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I've been around long enough to see some of the more spectacular failures, from trackers started for the wrong reasons, ScN was a prime example, where despite the efforts of staff from other websites it still went down in a screaming heap. There have been many others started up by a group who wanted to be 'leet' and be staff without having a real clue about what filesharing is really about (Agent47 was just the most spectacular moron but there have been many others).
Just rocking up with a slightly different stylesheet, and inviting all your buds as staff does not a tracker make, and then you actually want to find uploaders and staff that make the tracker into something worthwhile that users actually want to be a part of.
There is actually alot of hard work involved in figuring out your aims in creating a new tracker, and if your aim is just to be 'staff' then the thrill of it all will probably hold your attention for two or three server payments, and that is exactly how long so many of these trackers have lasted, roughly 3 months before the limited attention span of the people who created the tracker wanders off somewhere else.
The real communities have a dedicated group who work to make the tracker different, to make it an individual community in its own right, to give the tracker a different feel to others but most of all, work tirelessly on the code, upload torrents, admin the userbase, answer user questions, be available on irc, and moderate the forums and interact with the users, all in their spare time because they enjoy filesharing.

Something Else
08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Real private trackers, who care about security, don't want any publicity in big or small public forums. I never trust any trackers that come to FST to announce their "arrival" on the torrent scene.

That reminds me of a quite a few trackers. :whistling

Thodwras
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Real private trackers, who care about security, don't want any publicity in big or small public forums. I never trust any trackers that come to FST to announce their &quot;arrival&quot; on the torrent scene.

Like iTS did with a Comm Rep or ScL for example?

jukesta
08-30-2008, 07:55 PM
exactly!

pone44
09-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I have just never seen so many threads with members advertising their new trackers. I can not see that as secure or profitable with all the other 0 day sites. Did c*one- tt* - TD , all the other big tracks start off like that? Posting in a public thread? Curious.

Cabalo
09-02-2008, 02:56 AM

Like iTS did with a Comm Rep or ScL for example?
exactly.