PDA

View Full Version : gbit torrentflux

slayer2005
08-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Thinking of getting a server with gbit connection.
just wonderd what your thoughts were on it.
The prices would be set like this.

4gig of space 4 torrents $10 pm

8gig of space 5 torrents $13 pm

15gig of space 7 torrents $18 pm

20gig of space 9 torrents $24 pm

30gig of space 11 torrents $28 pm

40gig of space 15 torrents $35 pm

50gig of space 20 torrents $42 pm

Would like to no what you think and my current subscribers also if they would like to move and there thoughts

Slayer:-)

haydeno
08-30-2008, 04:24 AM
would be good but if you do this i would HIGHLY recommend using utorrent and running multiple webui vs torrentflux as the resources TF would use would prob not be able to fully use full speed. Also i would prefer more disk space and less active torrents on lower plans, active torrents use server load.

slayer2005
08-30-2008, 04:48 AM
would be good but if you do this i would HIGHLY recommend using utorrent and running multiple webui vs torrentflux as the resources TF would use would prob not be able to fully use full speed. Also i would prefer more disk space and less active torrents on lower plans, active torrents use server load.

To be honest ive ran multiple utorrent web uis b4 and they tend to mess up quite a lot.Plus with 8gig of ram and a quad core cpu running torrentflux with say 20 users max performance would not be a issue.:)

joey
08-30-2008, 06:20 AM
I've never had any problems with the utorrent webui services I've tried...in fact I wont' touch TF ever again. Every single TF service I tried had problems. Utorrent will always run better as it doesn't require the same resources so if you say you won't have any issues running TF on 8gigs then you certainly won't have any issues running utorrent.

And if you get 20 people on an 8gig ram server then that is about 400megs per person....I was on one that offered 150megs per person and it was utter shite so I doubt that 400megs is going to be that much better.

joey
08-30-2008, 06:20 AM

dance4
08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
20 ppl ? It;s joke ? sorry but CPU and RAM is not everything .. the most important is HDD ! with > 10 ppl it will be rubbish :D

haydeno
08-30-2008, 06:53 AM
with 20 ppl you need prob at least a 3 disk raid pref 5 or you will likely have disk i\o errors

integral
08-30-2008, 07:01 AM
I'd run webuis instead of torrentflux. Just from experience, it's easier on the system. And there are other webuis besides uTorrent. :D

And if you want to load 20 people on one server then I'd definitely go for webuis, as torrentflux will definitely wear on the system.

slayer2005
08-30-2008, 07:16 AM
how will you possibly have errors on the hd with the amount of people.
i have 10 people on a 250gig hd and theres never been errors.so were you get its rubbish from dance4 i do not no.
you gota remember your paying 10bux.you want 10mb up and down constant.tflux is a cheap alternitive to ratio boost for people who cant afford dedicated servers.
I thought the prices were good for more speed and more active torrents.guess i was wrong :-)

apextwin146
08-30-2008, 07:16 AM
U cant accomodate 20 ppl no matter wat the CPU and RAM specs are unless u got a very Robust HDD with u

integral
08-30-2008, 07:26 AM
U cant accomodate 20 ppl no matter wat the CPU and RAM specs are unless u got a very Robust HDD with u

I wouldn't agree with that. It would work out well, if you accommodate the servers correctly.

IF you used utorrent webui with 20 people with 4 torrents each, then it would work. However, 20 people with 20 torrents each will cause a fail. So, shape your pricings for 4 torrent package = 1 person, but 20 torrent package = 5 people. Adjusting your pricing in this way will ensure that your intended integrity is maintained, and you aren't overcrowding people. And that's a pseudo business model, but I'm sure you get the idea.

apextwin146
08-30-2008, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't agree with that. It would work out well, if you accommodate the servers correctly.

IF you used utorrent webui with 20 people with 4 torrents each, then it would work. However, 20 people with 20 torrents each will cause a fail. So, shape your pricings for 4 torrent package = 1 person, but 20 torrent package = 5 people. Adjusting your pricing in this way will ensure that your intended integrity is maintained, and you aren't overcrowding people. And that's a pseudo business model, but I'm sure you get the idea.
I was viewing the op from the OVH server specs pov ...
Gigabit servers usually have HDD space around 750gb ..
So imo if hes doling out 10gb etc packages even with 3 torrents active it would overload if he doles out a lot of these .. but thats from business perspective .. I agree with u on the point that he would have u come up with a mechanism to limit these things ..
Well am also dead sure u wud become a good reseller if u intend to go abt doing so :)

dance4
08-30-2008, 08:11 AM
i have 10 people on a 250gig hd and theres never been errors.so were you get its rubbish from dance4 i do not no.
you gota remember your paying 10bux.you want 10mb up and down constant.tflux is a cheap alternitive to ratio boost for people who cant afford dedicated servers.
I thought the prices were good for more speed and more active torrents.guess i was wrong :-)

Because i have more experience with seedboxes :D but ok do what you want then you see ! Not disk errors only disk overload etc. too many ppl on the server and too many activ torrents !

bammers
08-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Some crazy I/O speed required there!! :)

slayer2005
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM

Because i have more experience with seedboxes :D but ok do what you want then you see ! Not disk errors only disk overload etc. too many ppl on the server and too many activ torrents !

ok yhea if u have 20 people and there all downloading a sct torrent at once then u might get ovaload with 8gig if of ram and a quad core...but would that really happen.i mean no way 20 users would down a fast torrent all at the same time.
if u tweak the setting right it can work as with the amount of acctive torrents.

Boutros
08-31-2008, 01:59 AM
I would be for it but I think a webui solution would be the way to go

sp0ngeb0b
08-31-2008, 03:16 AM
20 users is overkill.

iceman3807
11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Thinking of getting a server with gbit connection.
just wonderd what your thoughts were on it.
The prices would be set like this.

4gig of space 4 torrents $10 pm

8gig of space 5 torrents $13 pm

15gig of space 7 torrents $18 pm

20gig of space 9 torrents $24 pm

30gig of space 11 torrents $28 pm

40gig of space 15 torrents $35 pm

50gig of space 20 torrents $42 pm

Would like to no what you think and my current subscribers also if they would like to move and there thoughts

Slayer:-)

i am intrested in buying any of ur above plan if intrested then ineed to chat you personally on my msn messenger to clear some doubt..

my msn messenger ID Is :- [email protected]
& Yahoo Messenger ID :- chetanj1983

Waiting For Your Reply.

slayer2005
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I dont do tflux anymore m8 as to much hassel only dedicated now.
If you want flux and you have people to share with il gladly set it up if your leasing server from me.

kelfa
11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
ya 20 people on a Tflux is way to much server load imo. It can be done but the page refreshing will be very slow, server load very high with that many actives.

10 people on a gbit would be ok.

viper151
11-25-2008, 12:04 AM
someone from here had 42 users on a gigabit server :P I don't say it is right but it is double than 20 :P

slayer2005
11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
someone from here had 42 users on a gigabit server :P I don't say it is right but it is double than 20 :P

Ive had 10 on a server with 1gig of ram and a 1.2ghz celeron and it ran ok most of the time.
Thats why at the start i thought 20 users on a gbit with quadcore and 8sticks of ram would be fine..i still think it would be fine:D
But cant be arsed with the hassel.

Cabalo
11-25-2008, 06:34 AM
i dunno how many HDDs you have, but that is, as someone said correctly before, the bottleneck of the system. to accommodate 20 users it's necessary an insane I/O rate, and only very few selected HDDs configs would deal with it.

unless you have created at least 2 raid0 arrays (meaning 4x hdd), and separate the users amongst them, you will have lots of troubles in peak loads. imagine 4 users downloading at the same time from ScT... you're fucked. now imagine 20. because, and i suppose you know, write cycles are much slower than read cycles.

never in this life that server will handle decently 20 users. that's not realistic. I've set up some servers in the past (assembly, etc etc) and i know how much of an headache it can be to not degrade its performance just due to the use of cheapo HDDs and poor raid arrays.

and those 8gbs for 20 users is more than enough. tflux will not hit it hard as it is a dynamic allocation, and configuring its cache and refresh options/privileges correctly, should not be a problem. Essentially, to not make this server become a disaster, lots and lots of per-account cache tweaking would be necessary, and a smart pro-active surveillance on each users usage.

pplush259
11-25-2008, 06:58 AM
i think it may be a big administrative challenge to run 20 with acceptable performance , nevertheless a nice experience ..

jaszypoo
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
20 people? holy moly! Why not try 10 for now and increase it later on ;)

leadman
11-25-2008, 09:23 PM
uTorrent (and TF probably just the same) will not be able to serve data fast enough if you have many active torrents. Look at the speed tab in uTorrent and view the physical disk requests. There's a threshold how fast it can read from the HD, no matter how much cache you might have allocated. Your users will not experience high bandwidth if there are too many active torrents.

I have a Kimsufi 2XL and have 1GB RAM allocated for uTorrent cache. Example: When I have 20 active torrents with sufficient leechers then I'll seed at 3-4 MB/sec but if reduce the number to 5-10 then it will immediately go up to 6-8MB/sec. Because now more frequently requested torrent pieces stay in the cache for longer (less data to go through the cache) and don't require disk access.

You need a RAID-0 increase disk I/O's.

peteleeds
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
im interested can ya let me know please slayer the details many thanks