PDA

View Full Version : Seedbox Noob Question

augman000
08-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking of getting a seedbox... I know NOTHING about them so I might be asking very stupid questions.

When I get a seedbox, can I just buy a seedbox and use it or do I need a dedicated server to go along with it?

With a seedbox from OvH, the cheapest one for example 45EUR/mo, I can use it to seed/upload torrents but can I also use it (or instead of) for hosting an online radio station?

So if I can find unmetered 100mbit seedboxes for 45EUR why are unmetered dedicated servers like 250EUR/mo? What does a dedicated server have that a seedbox doesn't? I don't understand please help :)

Thanks.

integral
08-31-2008, 01:35 AM
OVH doesn't offer seedboxes, they offer dedicated servers. The quality of bandwidth is different for other server companies with unmetered bandwidth. For torrent usage, OVH is good enough.

I'm going to assume you're looking at seedhost.eu. I suggest getting a dedicated server instead of the seedbox; it's the same price, and it's full control of a Windows server, and you'll also be able to use it for hosting your SHOUTCast or whatever. :)

Valoo
08-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi,

If you speak about hey have never answered to my questions by email... :dry: But a seedbox "offer" is a seedbox (webUI + FTP accesses), not a dedicated server with full rights on it to do want you want. Seedhost seems to sells the two kind of offers at 45€. One seems a seedbox with 1 user on the server and full root access for other activies, other is the same server but with full right and no other thing than the OS on it (you have to setup your seedbox).

So if I can find unmetered 100mbit seedboxes for 45EUR why are unmetered dedicated servers like 250EUR/mo? What does a dedicated server have that a seedbox doesn't? I don't understand please help :)Because the price depends of many things : hardware power of your server (cpu, ram, hdd, raid..), speed of assistance in a case of pbs, "prority" of your server on the hoster network, ability to keep a good speed for long distance connections (us / europe for example). It's a difference between a "low cost" and a "professional" service like all other things. OVH are cheap but you have to know you won't have same service than a "pro offer" (read the discussion about the "nosla" capping for example).

augman000
08-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I decided to go with SeedHost.eu and I chose their 45EUR/mo dedicated server package with Windows 2003.

I think this will let me do what I want and anything else that I may decide to do in the future.

Thanks again everyone!

ericab
08-31-2008, 06:00 AM
dont forget to use "filezilla ftp server" (dont use serv-u; its just a resource hog), as well as a multithreaded ftp client... such as "3d-ftp" which someone suggested to me.

Artemis
08-31-2008, 06:22 AM
dont forget to use "filezilla ftp server" (dont use serv-u; its just a resource hog), as well as a multithreaded ftp client... such as "3d-ftp" which someone suggested to me.

The filezilla client is multithreaded, you can simply select the number of simultaneous connections from options within the client.

bammers
08-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I decided to go with SeedHost.eu and I chose their 45EUR/mo dedicated server package with Windows 2003.

I think this will let me do what I want and anything else that I may decide to do in the future.

Thanks again everyone!

You should find that seedhost.eu is fine - their the same guys I use - there service is great for us people outside the purchase zone for OVH! :)

augman000
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
And when and if I ever get an FTP going I'll be sure to allow people here the first chance to get in :)

Thanks again!

ericab
09-01-2008, 01:47 AM
And when and if I ever get an FTP going I'll be sure to allow people here the first chance to get in :)

Thanks again!

coooollll :cool:

Boutros
09-01-2008, 06:28 AM

The filezilla client is multithreaded, you can simply select the number of simultaneous connections from options within the client.

But the max is 10 correct?

ericab
09-01-2008, 06:43 AM

this is true. 10 is the max.

3dftp; allows 20. ;)

3dftp > filezilla :whistling

Boutros
09-01-2008, 08:41 AM

this is true. 10 is the max.

3dftp; allows 20. ;)

3dftp > filezilla :whistling

Ah okay I see.

augman000
09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Well... it's been 2 days and I still don't have my server :angry:

I did the ordering on Saturday so maybe it's because it was a weekend I don't know... I'm guessing they haven't been at their office because they haven't cleared my payment through PayPal yet...

With the time here, it should be about 12:00 PM on a Monday and nothing yet...

ericab
09-01-2008, 07:22 PM
augman;

when i bought my seedbox from seedhost.eu,
i got impatient and emailed them about when i would get it...
they replied that "2 days" is now the setup time
you'll probably get it tomorrow :ermm:
what OS did you have installed ?

augman000
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Well, I think it's actually my bank's fault :)

I was using Bank Account in PayPal instead of credit card so the bank has to approve the transaction manually so I think I'll have the damn thing by tomorrow.

EDIT: oh and I had Win2003 installed because it's what I'm most familiar with and I'll be able to run an internet radio also if I decide to do that.

ericab
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, I think it's actually my bank's fault :)

I was using Bank Account in PayPal instead of credit card so the bank has to approve the transaction manually so I think I'll have the damn thing by tomorrow.

EDIT: oh and I had Win2003 installed because it's what I'm most familiar with and I'll be able to run an internet radio also if I decide to do that.

ok.. just remember there is a bunch of optimizing you have to do to windows2003. also your speeds really wont be that great....
i learned this the hard way. used winserv 2003 for 2 days and shot seedhost.eu an email saying ok fuk this, put ubuntu back on my box.
now im running ubuntu with rtorrent. speeds are fantastic!

arkan
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
the biggest bottleneck i had in my win2003 server was the Hard disk

after I installed the latest chipset (south bridge) drivers, the performance was great(only bottlenecked by 100mbps interface speed).

And I also did the tcpip half open patch to 150.

If anyone has other windows 2003 optimizations please share.

bammers
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
My seedbox account took 2 days to setup with them too... thats about the avg turnaround time with them I guess.... once it was setup and ready to go it absolutley flew though and is still tearing along really fast! :)

augman000
09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
so basically i'm gonna have to do tons of tweaking to the win2003 to get it working at full speeds?

i'm gonna need some help then. i chose win2003 only because i know Windows and i'm not good with any other OS and i didnt want to spend time learning.