PDA

View Full Version : Usenet vs. Rapidshare

Funkin'
09-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Since there's a newsgroups vs. bittorrent thread, I thought I would create this.

Usenet is my preferred method of getting files, since you don't have to deal with any of the bull shit that comes with using bittorrent. But I've been looking into Rapidshare a lot since it looks very similar to Usenet. Only a little cheaper. It seems a monthly Rapidshare account is a little cheaper than a monthly Usenet account. And the content looks as abundant as what's on newsgroups. And the speeds are the same? You'll max out your connection? And the level of security seems the same too.

So would the people that is using both methods, or has used both methods, please be kind enough to tell me the pro's and con's of RS over Usenet? And which RS account would be the best to get?

Thanks.

saulin
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
On Rapidshare you can find really old stuff and the speeds are amazing. But you need to look for good forums that point to the stuff you are looking for. I have found stuff on Rapidshare that I have not found on usenet or on torrent trackers. I think Rapidshare does involve a little more work when it comes to getting the files. Usenet is basically as simple as searching for the stuff and downloading it right from your usenet client.

I think if you have access to the right forums you can find just about anything on you want on rapidshare. I would still go for Usenet though because it's so easy to use and to find stuff. There is just so much content on usenet as well.

You can get usenet for as cheap as $10-11 a month. That's not bad at all. I use mostly usenet, then torrents and rapidshare.

Funkin'
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you for the info saulin. I'm mostly looking at the Rapidshare forums that have been mentioned in this section. Such as Puzo, Warez-BB, etc.

sheriff 01
09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
i agree usenet is very good but have to use 0 day trackers for scene releases.

#Palestinian#
09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
well , i never use usenet but i think saulin has said a very important point which is u can find old stuff on RS which aren't found anywhere else and let me add something else , RS has many rare files and a very good pre time if u find the good forums which have plenty of RS links on it..

i was lookin hard for sites provide medical stuff and english materials but i can hardly find few , so if u have any suggestion i will really aprecaite .

Thanks for this usefull thread :)

Funkin'
09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I've also heard that RS has a lot of rare stuff. But frankly, everything I've looked for so far has been on Usenet. I guess I haven't needed anything really rare or obscure yet.

I'm mainly thinking of switching to RS because it looks like it has everything Usenet has, plus some, and it's a little cheaper. I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but it looks like it's around five bucks a month for a premium rapid share account. Is this true? EDIT: Nah, actually a premium account for a month is 6.99 euro. Which is a little over ten dollars. So that's about the same of an Astraweb account. But...a year premium RS account is about eighty dollars. Which is cheaper than a years worth of an Astraweb subscription.

No you don't.

DylanDog
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I never understood the urge for indirect downloads and file hosters, they just made the sharing scene more stupid + they earn money >.>

saulin
09-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Well if you look back when everything was hosted on free web hosting servers like xoom, geocities and others as well as on public ftps and things would get deleted within hours. I think that was stupid back then. Usenet has been around for a while and has always made things simple and easy. Rapidshare and other hosting companies see a lot of demand for hosting space and they also take advantage of it and because they make so much money we can downlaod at very fast speeds because they got fast servers and things don't get deleted for a long time either.

DylanDog
09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Stuff was deleted because it was on public anonymous FTP and because n00bs didnt know how to properly lock those directories, we have RS deletion, because users report shared links, usenet has no problems with that, which is a big plus

DD

timestoby
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
i just started using rapidshare over torrents and found that rapidshare is more secure than torrents and they have the same things as torrents,you just have to look and find the sites that are rapidshare sharing sites. plus with rapidshare you get the movies as fast as ur connection is,you dont have to worry about if the person is seeding or not.

only thing is on rapidshare you gotta pay a fiver monthly or go with the yearly cost,but thats still good for getn ur content fast and secure. i dont mind payn the little cost a month for getn hundreds of dollars worth of content. i only tried usenet once and didnt get it lol

DylanDog
09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
every tracker above level 6 has good DL speeds, now we dont talk about 9 or 10 [theya re always max] - [the minus is you must seed - but you also have free leech and if you use a seedbox you're preatty done with DL/Up thingy]

usenet always offers max DL speed [well giganews does] - [yea you must pay but its totaly worth the money, also if you know ppl you can get USeNet accounts for free, I have bunch of them]

FTPs: [this is total plus in every possible way] - you must find good places, and from time to time you also must share

if we talk about pubs, that depends on the server but most of them are fast, also depends on the scanning abilities of the user

str0s are never beneath 5Mb they go to Gb, most common used ones for file sharing are 50/100Mb

Broken
09-02-2008, 12:59 AM
RS is a provider, and is not associated with other upload sites such as MegaUpload. If you don't have the right provider, you loose out. Because it is a centralized provider, it is easily shut down (attempts have been made, and I see it happening in the near future), seeing has it's main purpose (and only?) purpose is the distribution of copyrighted and questionable material. In an attempt to meet with laws, rapidshare files are rapidly removed. RS is also not searchable. You are reliant upon 3rd party links found in forums or other sources.

Usenet is a network, with many providers similar in nature to the Internet. Even "IF" one provider is shut down it is not the death of the network. If something is posted, no matter the provider, everyone connected to Usenet can get it. Although NZB sites are popular, Usenet has existed for decades without indexing sites. It is completely possible to find content without 3rd party support.

At best,
a few hundred gigs (to the best of my knowledge actual statistics are not made public) a day gets uploaded to RS. Because the nature of RS makes it unfriendly to large uploads things like DVD rips are harder to come by.

At least,
3TBs a day gets uploaded to Usenet. Content is limitless.

If you do not have a premium RS account, the drawbacks are too numerous to count. If you are paying for a RS account a Usenet account is only a little more and well worth it.

RS is like a very bad web based knock off of what Usenet has nearly perfected.

bammers
09-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Usenet for the win~ :)

Funkin'
09-02-2008, 05:05 AM
That was a very good explanation Broken, and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Looks like Usenet is what I'll stick with.

It is a turn off to click on file link that you want, and it then takes you to the RS site, and then you have to start your download. Or does that not happen with premium accounts?

DylanDog
09-02-2008, 05:40 AM
If you're loged then the file asks for your download permission as soon as you click it

saulin
09-02-2008, 05:52 AM
With Rapidshare premium, you can login and choose your default download servers.
Then you just click on the link and it asks you where to save it like any other file you get on any web site. Plus it works awesome with download managers.

sickest
09-02-2008, 12:40 PM
i use RS for harder to find stuff. and usenet for all the NEW releases. then i upload my usenet downloads to my RS account and share the links... i have never had to pay for another RS account and i have over 20,000 RS points and 3000+ files stored as of now.

use both. i do.

Imhotep
09-03-2008, 07:33 AM
i use RS for harder to find stuff. and usenet for all the NEW releases

Same.

kaante
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
i think you have to find a good rapidshare forum for the downlod links, that way your life becomes very easy,

if anyone has any forums they knwo of which have rapidshare links etc pls let me know

thanks

DylanDog
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Harder to find the stuff, lol you can find everything on usenet

emadmet3eb
09-06-2008, 04:46 PM
rapidshare of course

Windy72
09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Rapidshare removes its files within hours of upload when reported. Usenet this rarely happens and by the time it did the file would have spread within seconds across its global multiple servers. Take out one server it is still be on another server. RS does not offer this.

However I do use RS for the odd file. RS is also much more user friendly to noobs. Point click download. Usenet takes a little longer to learn but is far easier to download from once you have your server set up in your newsreader. As said before usenet is also searchable. Usenet also rarely has password protected rar archives unlike RS.. End of day you pays your money you take your choice. But for me I am in the usenet camp (now that sounds gay):01:

gartenriese
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Usenet of course!

1. You don't need to reconnect.
2. RS is too slow (250 kb/s sucks!).

Sonnentier
09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
RS is too slow (250 kb/s sucks!).
Usenet has like 0 Byte/s if I don't pay.

There are some good places for RS, like serienjunkies.org for german tv series. Also I can download for free.

Seedright
09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I prefer usenet without doubt, higher speeds and more files than Rapidshare.

Rilly
09-15-2008, 03:01 AM
I use torrents, rapidshare premium, usenet, and irc for download sources.. The best without a doubt is usenet. Rapidshare is cheaper, but its more difficult to find what you what. Sure its rare stuff available, but you have to scour through forums trying to find what you are looking for. Usenet you type in the search just like using google and you have your answer!.
People that say you need a 0day tracker for things haven't used usenet to its fullest potential. TV shows appear just as fast as most sites (not all granted).. but you can download it at MAX speeds so you probably get it just as fast. DVDs take a bit longer to appear.. but there is NO seeding back.. no ratio to worry about.. no banning or hit and run.

The only reason i have a rapid share account is so I can upload my files and share them with everyone.. its difficult to do that with usenet because not everyone has it.. but anyone can use rapidshare.
There also is a limit on the rapidshare.. 10 GB a day... i can do whatever my internet connection can manage with Usenet.

suppli3r
09-15-2008, 06:51 AM
i got collector's account on rapidshare to upload files and share them with everyone and every 10000 points i can create a 1 month premium account and $0.00 to pay for downloads

Lindsay<3
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
rapidshare ftw :)

McBride
09-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Rapidshare for me

dr jones
09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
i dont have usenet so i pick rapidshare :)

forthat
09-22-2008, 06:24 AM
well.....i have never used usenet but i know who it works........

when it comes to movie .....it difficult to find them in RS until u r in good community.......where as in usenet it was different ..just get into a news group and click on search...........this is the only point where usenet has advantage over RS

i think speeds are same....(most users home users has almost 20-30 mbps of line)

digital_sc4rz
09-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I prefer rapidshare over usenet

Albo Da Kid
09-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Never used neither of them but i heard better things for rapidshae

engscorpion
10-02-2008, 07:18 AM

jeffsdesigns
10-03-2008, 03:34 AM
some of the files, I look for. I can't find much on Usenet.

giganews2005
10-07-2008, 01:34 AM
I just started usenet.

ThePirateCity
10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Rapidshare

GrinderNL
10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Both

bd75sy
10-18-2008, 12:59 AM
admit I'm new to usenet but used rapidshare in the past frequently, I'd say it depends on the package you go for, giganews diamond with 10 connections + its retention made me ditch rapidshare in favour of usenet, obviously everyone has different perspectives and experiences, a good index site is a must both for usenet and usenet, for rapidshare try xsharex, and usenet try nzbtv, merlins portal and NZBmatrix. Regards, Chris

RS is too slow (250 kb/s sucks!).
Usenet has like 0 Byte/s if I don't pay.

There are some good places for RS, like serienjunkies.org for german tv series. Also I can download for free.

thats true but with usenet you get what you pay for and the benefits by far outweigh the costs!

succubus
10-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Rapidshare for sure.

JPaul
10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
RS is a provider, and is not associated with other upload sites such as MegaUpload. If you don't have the right provider, you loose out. Because it is a centralized provider, it is easily shut down (attempts have been made, and I see it happening in the near future), seeing has it's main purpose (and only?) purpose is the distribution of copyrighted and questionable material. In an attempt to meet with laws, rapidshare files are rapidly removed. RS is also not searchable. You are reliant upon 3rd party links found in forums or other sources.

Usenet is a network, with many providers similar in nature to the Internet. Even "IF" one provider is shut down it is not the death of the network. If something is posted, no matter the provider, everyone connected to Usenet can get it. Although NZB sites are popular, Usenet has existed for decades without indexing sites. It is completely possible to find content without 3rd party support.

At best,
a few hundred gigs (to the best of my knowledge actual statistics are not made public) a day gets uploaded to RS. Because the nature of RS makes it unfriendly to large uploads things like DVD rips are harder to come by.

At least,
3TBs a day gets uploaded to Usenet. Content is limitless.

If you do not have a premium RS account, the drawbacks are too numerous to count. If you are paying for a RS account a Usenet account is only a little more and well worth it.

RS is like a very bad web based knock off of what Usenet has nearly perfected.

Well said, can't really add anything to that. Other agreeing obviously.