PDA

View Full Version : Speed test and up/dl ratio that is convincing

HighestBiddeR
09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi , i have just started seeding and is looking for better private trackers ! i am just wondering what kind of up/dl ratio and speed test is able to convince ppl that i am a serious seeder?

Polarbear
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi , i have just started seeding and is looking for better private trackers ! i am just wondering what kind of up/dl ratio and speed test is able to convince ppl that i am a serious seeder?

convince people that they can trust you. that's much more important than how much or how fast you seed.

ryan20021982
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
As long as you can show good ratios over 1 and there is enuf traffic to show you
actually download and not just try to buffer the account for other reasons then
you shouldnt have a problem depending on the tracker you have in mind and are not
a trader, trust is the key.

Just look around the giveaway section you can get alot without any proof

Something Else
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM

convince people that they can trust you. that's much more important than how much or how fast you seed.

Yeah make sure you photoshop those screens really well and you'll be fine. :dry:

dr jones
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
the best thing is to keep your ratio upbove the danger zone

a serious seeder is something like download 100gb and upload 350gb

yayyyyyy
09-02-2008, 03:09 PM

nowadays everybody has 100mbit... to be serious you need at least 1gbit.

Squizzle
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
You seem to have a lot of questions bud. This is what, your 4th thread in an hour?

A good plan would have been to start a thread like "hai, i'm new to this", and keep all your (similar) questions in that one thread so people can help you out properly.

IdolEyes787
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
As long as you can show good ratios over 1 and there is enuf traffic to show you
actually download and not just try to buffer the account for other reasons then
you shouldnt have a problem depending on the tracker you have in mind and are not
a trader, trust is the key.

My feeling exactly.
Anyone with a seedbox can have a big upload ratio,it doesn't mean that you care anything for the site.

Just as important is how much you download .It is a much clearer picture (barring freeleech of course) of how much you actually use the tracker.

Any ratio over 1 with 100's of Gigs downloaded is more impressive than a >10 ratio with little (downloaded).

bammers
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Get a good ratio on a few lower sites and link your profile up.... not just a screenshot. Most of the bigger guys have accounts on smaller sites.

speedtest.net always helps too :)

Sanka113
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Eh, if the person doing the giveaway has any sense than he's going to not even care about screen shots. Just be active and friendly around your forums trackers, and irc's and keep up your ratio up and don't HnR, you'll be alright.

integral
09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
You don't need any monster ratios to convince anyone doing a giveaway that you're a good user; actually, that might turn people off.

In my opinion, concerning ratio, I'll invite anyone over a 1.50 global ratio that has a decent amount downloaded/uploaded. However, I think you have the wrong mindset: Instead of convincing people you're a serious seeder, convince them you're a trustworthy torrentuser. :)

Try using the same account name on every tracker; it might sound stupid, but it creates an identity for yourself, and personally a person with tons of different variations of account names makes me slightly suspicious; maybe they don't want to be identified everywhere, or got the account from someone else in the first place.

I personally dislike ratio proof screenshots and speedtests as well; ratio proofs can easily be reused by multiple people, and speedtests aren't necessarily an indicator of a person's ability to maintain a good ratio. Try requesting to the OP of a giveaway thread that you want to give him your profile links in private; don't PM them without permission.

Just a few tips to get you started. And another last tip: Choose your path wisely. Becoming a trader will make things harder for you, and make your path through the torrenting world a dark, bumpy, dangerous one, requiring you to hide in the shadows forever. :D Be smart.

Nemrod
09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
There are no fixed rules for that, every user has his own parameters, listen what "integral" posted, a lot of excellent considerations there.

curtanwoo
09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Try using the same account name on every tracker; it might sound stupid, but it creates an identity for yourself, and personally a person with tons of different variations of account names makes me slightly suspicious; maybe they don't want to be identified everywhere, or got the account from someone else in the first place.

I'd recommend against using the same username on this forum as you use on some trackers, especially the ones that has rules against trading and/or giving away invites to people you know from places like this.

Personally, up until recently I've used different usernames on all my trackers due to my overly cautious (some would say a bit paranoid) nature. I didn't don't do this because I have something to hide in relation to the staff of the trackers, or other serious users of them, but rather because I don't like the idea of just anyone being able to easily identify which trackers I use, what I currently download and seed, my ratio etc. I realize this is in some way a false security, because it's basically security through obscurity, but even so I'd rather have it than not. Yes, I have real life reasons to have developed my distrust of people, however, when it comes to these things caution is a good thing. Even more so if you're in the US; law enforcement, MPAA, Patriot Act and what have you.

I realize this thread is about getting invites to trackers and I might have strayed a bit off topic. I just wanted to point out that it might not always be a good idea to be easily identified by other torrent users.

/curtanwoo

colbert
09-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I'd recommend against using the same username on this forum as you use on some trackers, especially the ones that has rules against trading and/or giving away invites to people you know from places like this.

Some sites might ban you just for having an account here irrelevant if you do trading or giveaways.

respawn40
09-06-2008, 01:39 AM

Some sites might ban you just for having an account here irrelevant if you do trading or giveaways.

Not any sites that I know of. Well, there is one site, but they said that they won't just ban you for being a member, you'd have to actually do something bad :P

F.B.I
09-06-2008, 03:53 AM

http://www.jalife.net/up/files/orly-ostrich.jpg

Kyl3KK
09-06-2008, 05:03 AM
Yeah make sure you photoshop those screens really well and you'll be fine. :dry:

You're a fucking dick.
And you don't know what a joke is.

Funkin'
09-06-2008, 05:32 AM

I also use different name on different trackers. And this started when my OinK account got hacked about a year and a half ago(I've talked to a few others that were also hacked there, guess it was an uncommon thing at that tracker). Somehow this person got my passkey and raped my account. Then cock even emailed me and said that he found me on Bitmetv(since I used the same username) and tried to get my passkey there, but was unsuccessful.

So ever since then I have used different nicks. I would suggest a new user to do the same just because I would hate to see the same happen to anyone else.. And if someone declines a person an invite just because he doesn't use the same nick on every site, than fuck em'.

F.B.I
09-06-2008, 06:18 AM

I also use different name on different trackers. And this started when my OinK account got hacked about a year and a half ago(I've talked to a few others that were also hacked there, guess it was an uncommon thing at that tracker). Somehow this person got my passkey and raped my account. Then cock even emailed me and said that he found me on Bitmetv(since I used the same username) and tried to get my passkey there, but was unsuccessful.

So ever since then I have used different nicks. I would suggest a new user to do the same just because I would hate to see the same happen to anyone else.. And if someone declines a person an invite just because he doesn't use the same nick on every site, than fuck em'.

You must use different passwords not different nicks.

integral
09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
You don't _have_ to use different nicks. Using different passwords/emails is also smart, especially if you want to take a chance registering on a new site that doesn't have any history. I don't recommend using the same passwords for every single account you have on the Internet, either; it could be a stupid mistake in the long run.

curtanwoo
09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
You don't _have_ to use different nicks. Using different passwords/emails is also smart, especially if you want to take a chance registering on a new site that doesn't have any history. I don't recommend using the same passwords for every single account you have on the Internet, either; it could be a stupid mistake in the long run.

A good idea is using any of the scripts linked below to generate passwords for sites. Basically, you need to choose a master password and supply a site's domain name. The script concatenates the two text strings and generates a MD5 checksum on it and you use the result of that as password for the site. This way you use different passwords for all your sites but don't have to remember more than one password.

There are different versions of this simple idea and I've linked two below. There are greasemonkey (firefox plugin) and bookmarklet versions as well that you might want to check out.

(The different versions are usually not compatitable with each other. Be sure you know which one you're using.)

http://www.angel.net/~nic/passwd.html (http://www.angel.net/%7Enic/passwd.html) (the original?)
http://www.hashapass.com/

/curtanwoo

EDIT: bah spelling

lysine
09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
much more secure than the above websites:

http://keepass.info/