PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with a 5GB ISO file!?

tralalala
09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Say I don't want t stored on my PC for all eternity? How do I deal with a 5GB ISO file considering the fact I DO NOT have a dual-layered CD-burner?

Fanks :smilie4:

Disme
09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
If it's amovie use dvd shrink and make it a 4.5 GB.
If it's data, you can extract the ISO with WinRar or Isobuster.

Sanka113
09-05-2008, 09:43 AM
You could rar it and split it into multiple files.

tralalala
09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
It's an ISO file.. A game. Thing is I am wondering if there's any way of burning it into 2 ISO files split from the original one..?

Disme
09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
You mean to be able to split it and being able to install it using the two discs. In that case I can't help you. I know there are some guides available on the net about splitting games into two DVD's but I never did that before so I can't help you with that.

If you don't mind a little workaround than just use winrar to split the 5 GB file into, let's say 5 1 GB Rar-files. Burn 4 of them on 1 DVD and the other on a second DVD.
If you want to install the game you copy the 5 Rar files to your HDD, extract them to a folder, mount the ISO with Daemon-tools and play the game.

When you finish the game, just dismount the image and remove the files from your HDD.

becomehokage
09-05-2008, 04:25 PM
You could rar it and split it into multiple files.
Best answer!

cpt_azad
09-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Yay, rar/ace and split the files up into a smaller ones, burn on to two seperate dvd's and bingo. That's the most known method anyway, I've never tried splitting an install into 2 files using other methods, mind you this way is can also take very long.

Good to see you live and kicking tralalala, haven't seen you on the boards in a while (that and I haven't been on for a while either lol), hope everything is fine on your end (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/tralalala-21288)

respawn40
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
If it's a game you want to install, couldn't you just use Daemon Tools or something?

saulin
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
You could even use a program like HJSplit and split it in 2 parts and burn it. Or simple, just get a dual layer burner. I mean we are almost in 2009. I's way overdue. Plus burners are just so damn cheap. Oh yeah if you want to install the game like someone said. Just install Daemon tools.

Overlord
09-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Single layer discs are significantly cheaper than dual layer discs.

saulin
09-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Well unless you have unlimited HDD space you kind of need dual layers for some stuff. like PC games, movies etc, and you really need DL if you have an Xbox 360.

I have 1TB of space and I have to keep burning stuff cause I do get very low on HDD space. Also BestBuy has sales on DL DVD-Rs every few months. Like I bought 20 packs for $20-$25 each. That's not bad at all.

RastaFATian
09-07-2008, 04:33 PM
i keep the files in the hdd!

whip22
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
You could even use a program like HJSplit and split it in 2 parts and burn it. Or simple, just get a dual layer burner. I mean we are almost in 2009. I's way overdue. Plus burners are just so damn cheap. Oh yeah if you want to install the game like someone said. Just install Daemon tools.
yea that's correct, HJSplit will allow you to make 2 seperate ISOs to burn the game onto =)

saulin
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
yea that's correct, HJSplit will allow you to make 2 seperate ISOs to burn the game onto =)

Nope it will let you split any file so you can fit it on normal DVD-Rs. You would need to mount the image with something like Daemon Tools to install the software still.

I don't think there is a program that will let you split 1 iso and make it 2 iso's that will install 1 app/game.

You would need to rip the iso and somehow change the installer.