PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent Seedbox what and how?

Dr.FST
09-06-2008, 08:33 AM
What is a Dedicated Server?

A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting where the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone.

What is a Seedbox?

It is a bittorrent terminology for a dedicated server that is used to upload and download torrents. Seedboxes are usually purchased by uploaders and torrent communities to get the latest content at high speeds.

How do I use the dedicated server/seedbox?

A Dedicated Server/Seedbox is very simple to use, once you have purchased and fully paid for the dedicated server/seedbox, the service provider will send you the following:
- The Server IP Address
- The Server Username
- The Server Password

Using these things you can log on to your server using remote desktop.

You can download RDP at: Download Here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx)
(Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a multi-channel protocol that allows a user to connect to a computer running Microsoft Terminal Services.) You can access remote desktop on your Windows PC by going to:

1. On your home computer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Accessories.
2. In the Accessories menu, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.

Then type the IP Address for the Server provided by the Hosting company, click connect and you will be taken to a log in screen, similar to the OS the server is running. Log in and that is it, you now have access to your server.

If you purchase a linux server, remember that there is no remote desktop on linux. In that case you have to login to your server via webadmin interface where the service provider will give you a web login to enter to your server control panel. If you wish to execute/install applications on your linux box, you need to use a SSH client such as PUTTY: Download Here (http://www.putty.nl/download.html) and you can access your folders (create, delete, move, copy, paste) using ftp client in order to upload/download materials to/from your dedicated server.

Hosting Companies

DEDICATED SERVERS/SEEDBOXES

The Following are my Top 5 Choices for Best Dedicated Servers.

Number 5: Shinjiru

Offshore dedicated Hosting, these servers get great speeds, but not lately due to the natural disaster in Taiwan, so for the next couple weeks connection to North America wont be as good. But once repaired this server is one of the best ive used. Especially Since its hosted in Malaysia were there are no Copyright Laws big_smile

If you want a reliable cheap server with peace of mind from police, etc Then Shinjiru is for you.

Link: click Here (http://shinjiru.com/products/dedicated_hosting/index.htm)

Server: 3/5
Network: 2.5/5 (normally superb speeds)

Number 4: Vectoral.Info

I personally havent used this company, but i have heard nothing but great things from them. They too offer cheap, reliable servers at competitive prices.

Link: click Here (http://www.vectoral.info/)

Server: 3.5/5
Network: 3.5/5

Number 3: L A Y E R E D T E C H

Hmm, layered tech one of the best server that i have ever used, i dont think there was a time i didnt max out my speed, with their 100Mbit i could easily reach 11-12 mb/s. They have a great turn around time, i got my server in less than 5, 6 hours.

Link: click Here (http://www.layeredtech.com/dedicated-servers/)

Server: 4.5/5
Network: 5/5

Number 2: S O F T L A Y E R

This is probably one of the best server that i have ever used, Softlayer is the best of the best, nothing more to say, maxed out connections 24/7. Note Softlayer is the most expensive server ive purchased only because i upgraded to a higher bandwidth and network speed. You have got to purchase one to know how amazing their server and network is, the speeds are phenomenal and the service is phenomenal. This is why ScT, FTN, FSC, all Top site uploaders and torrent sites purchase SoftLayer, because your getting what you paid for.

Link: click Here (http://www.softlayer.com/)

Server: 5/5
Network: 5/5

Number 1: L E A S E W E B

This is the best hosting company, why else would torrent sites such as TL and SCC host there. They provide excellent support and excellent dedicated Server service. They have top-notch servers with one of the best network, you will get great speeds no matter what.

Link: click Here (http://www.leaseweb.com/nl/)

Server 5/5
Network 5/5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dediboxes

What is a dedibox?

A dedibox(s) are dedicated server that are hosted by Dedibox.fr. Dediboxes are dedicated servers that you have root access to but the network on which it is connected is shared. Dediboxes are connected to a supposed 300Gbit network, but due to the many subscribers, dediboxes which are advertised as 100Mbit Unmetered will only guarantee you 30Mbit Unmetered. The only time users report reaching 100Mbit Speeds is while connection to another user on the dedibox network.

Dedibox.fr (http://www.dedibox.fr/)Resellers/Affiliates:
Dediboxinternational.com (http://dediboxinternational.com/)
Giga-International.com (http://giga-international.com/)
BestofData.com (http://bestofdata.com/)

(there are more, but these are the main resellers/affiliates)

Dedibox.fr

» CPU VIA 2Ghz - 1024 MB RAM - Hard drive with a 160 GB capacity
» 100Mbit/Sec unmetered bandwidth.
» Several Operating systems available (Ubuntu-Server, Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse 10.1, Mandriva, Gentoo 2006, CentOS 4.2, Slackware 10.2, FreeBsd, NetBsd, OpenBsd)
» Some desktop software (Ubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Kubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Xubuntu-Desktop Dapper)
» Unlimited technical support
» Remote manager
» 5Go Security Backup
» Own Server Monitoring
» automatic material diagnosis
» Rescue system

29.99 € /Month

Dediboxinternational.com

» CPU VIA 2Ghz - 1024 MB RAM - Hard drive with a 160 GB capacity
» 100Mbit/Sec unmetered bandwidth.
» Several Operating systems available (Ubuntu-Server, Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse 10.1, Mandriva, Gentoo 2006, CentOS 4.2, Slackware 10.2, FreeBsd, NetBsd, OpenBsd)
» Some desktop software (Ubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Kubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Xubuntu-Desktop Dapper)
» Unlimited technical support
» Remote manager
» 5Go Security Backup
» Own Server Monitoring
» automatic material diagnosis
» Rescue system
45.00 €/Month *Note Price Changes Often

Giga-International.com

They advertise I Quote "All dedicated servers rented by our customers are located in the high-tech-metropolis Frankfurt, Germany." But after talking with a customer one selection of their servers are infact hosted in France, even while uploading and downloading a torrent their host name is shown as Dedibox.fr.

Dedicated Server M

Hard disk: 80 GB
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz
RAM: 1024 MB
Traffic: UNLIMITED

Price: 59.99 EUR / month

-------------------------

Dedicated Server L eco

Hard disk: 160 GB
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3800+

Price: 64.99 EUR / month

Dedicated Server L

Hard disk: 160 GB
CPU: P4 3 Ghz HT Technology

Price: 69.99 EUR / month

Dedicated Server XL

Hard disk: 250 GB
CPU: P4 3 Ghz HT Technology
RAM: 2048 MB

Price: 79.99 EUR / month

Dedicated Server XXL

Hard disk: 500 (2 x 250) GB
CPU: 6.0 Ghz Intel Xeon (2 x 3.0 Ghz)
RAM: ECC 4096 MB

Price: 149.99 EUR / month

Bestofdata.com

GENERAL INFOS:
Processor: VIA C7 2.0 GHZ
Disk space: 160GB SATA2
RAM: 1GB DDR2 400MHZ
Bandwidth: 100Mbps Unmetered
Managed: NO

PLAN PRICES:
Monthly - : $59.95
No hidden costs, No setup fees, Free support
30 Minute activation (When servers are in stock)
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: $20 / month
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: $30 / month
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: $45 / month
DirectAdmin control panel available for Debian, CentOS & Fedora: $14 / month
Additional HDD, RAID0 or RAID1 (Debian & Ubuntu only): $20 / month

ADDITIONAL DETAILS
Full Root access.
2 free OS reloads per a month.
Rescue mode (A small network OS where you can make changes to the partition, OS, etc...)
Automatic reboots via web interface.
Web MRTG.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
Note: For all Dediboxes, fee apply if you want to run a Windows OS, they only provide linux OS free.

Also note that these Dediboxes are not that strict about running torrents, but if they catch you due to excessive use or abuse of bandwidth they will close your dedibox without refund.

Dediboxes also have random checks and police raids.

Ive Had Dediboxinternationa, Bestofdata, GigaInternational and Dedihostplus, if you enable encryption and keep the bw below 3TB a month it gives you a better chance under to keep under the radar.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************

Let us talk about torrent clients now.

If your purchased server is windows based, then you can just remote desktop it and use utorrent/azureus/other bittorrent clients. Easy...

For linux users, you need to install Torrentflux which can be found Here (http://www.torrentflux.com/)

HOW TO INSTALL TORRENTFLUX

http://www.torrentflux.com/images/sc21_01.png
N ORDER TO EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS YOU NEED PUTTY
1. open putty
2. under "Host name (or ip address)" type the ip address provided by the dedicated box provider.
3. press ENTER
4. you will be asked to enter your LOGIN NAME and PASSWORD, after that press enter and you are in...

TorrentFlux is a PHP based torrent client that runs on a web server, allowing you to manage your downloads through a web interface from anywhere. It's based on BitTornado and requires a functional LAMP server in order to run properly. Once having it installed, you'll be able to add, remove and/or manage torrents and their settings through a web browser. NOTE! If your Linux system already has a functional Apache + MySQL suite already installed, you can skip this step. Otherwise, this guide will allow you to have TorrentFlux installed with XAMPP.

Install XAMPP

XAMPP is a very easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP, Perl and ProFTPD. To install it, you have to:

- Download the latest version of XAMPP from Softpedia - Click here (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet/HTTP-WWW-/XAMPP-309.shtml)

Extract the packages and move them to the appropriate directories:

- Secure your XAMPP installation. Type:

- Answers you'll need to type:

- Start Apache and MySQL:

Install TorrentFlux

NOTE1: If you already have Apache, PHP and MySQL installed and skipped the "Install XAMPP" step, you should remove the /opt/lampp/bin/ target from ALL the commands. For instance:
# /opt/lampp/bin/mysqladmin -uroot -p create torrentflux
becomes:
# mysqladmin -uroot -p create torrentflux

NOTE2: If you already have Apache, PHP and MySQL installed, the PHP configuration file could be unsuitable for TorrentFlux. Check the /etc/php.ini file if the following directives are correctly set:

NOTE 3: If you're running FEDORA CORE, you must disable SELinux: Open /etc/selinux/config and replace the line:

SELINUX=enforcing
with
SELINUX=disabled

and reboot your computer.

- Download the latest version of TorrentFlux

- Extract and move it to the appropriate directory:

Create a database for torrentflux and load the sql script in it.

- Edit /opt/lampp/htdocs/tf/config.php file and specify the MySQL ROOT password in the db_pass directive. The rest shouldn't need to be edited.

- Open a browser and go to http://your.linux.ip.address/tf. The first time you access TorrentFlux, you will be prompted for a user and password, this will be used to set the SUPERADMIN user and password by what you enter. If you enter username "admin" and password "nimda", you will be able to access the application later by using this login information. Enjoy!

http://www.torrentflux.com/images/sc21_02.png

Hope this helps someone :D

cuck
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Big 10x for this tutorial .

Radar
03-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Great work on this guide Dr.FST(=

sharePower
03-18-2009, 11:08 PM
many thanks mate great work :)

Rlx
03-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the tutorial,it helped me.

clenoma
04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Most of theses websites looks dead now. I searched on Google and find a dedibox reseller called Dedibox.NET

esc2010
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
For me, the best is OVH.

Expeto
04-22-2010, 04:56 AM
SELINUX=enforcing
with
SELINUX=disabled

You should add a warning about this.
Disabling the state of the art security policy of the fedora is not a good idea.

Iundk
04-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Thank you so much for this info....really helpful material here...

bigdaddydude
06-12-2010, 01:11 AM
I had no idea about seedboxes until I read this review, thanks alot!

anon
06-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Things may have changed a bit since 2008.

misterminister
06-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Things may have changed a bit since 2008.

Yes indeed.

its
06-23-2010, 01:44 AM
yeah i'd say i've done a couple seedboxes for buddies and rtorrent + rutorrent is probably the best out their if you're using linux. though the install is intermediate.

sangos
07-13-2010, 06:09 AM
great tut , thxx for the info !!

miko_korima
07-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Hello, I have 3 questions:
1-Does it is possible to share a seedbox with friends for not pay the entire proce and share the speed of this seedbox?
2-Which seedbox is considered to be the best, or on eof the best?
3-I'm interested to take a seedbox but I've heard thats very difficult to use. That's true?

Thank you very much in advance

Champo101
07-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Hello, I have 3 questions:
1-Does it is possible to share a seedbox with friends for not pay the entire proce and share the speed of this seedbox?
2-Which seedbox is considered to be the best, or on eof the best?
3-I'm interested to take a seedbox but I've heard thats very difficult to use. That's true?

Thank you very much in advance

Don't you mean: 4-I also needing Waffles invite like you sent to everyone?

300 Posts ftw

anon
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Don't you mean: 4-I also needing Waffles invite like you sent to everyone?

Perhaps he thought that if a whole page of the new posts list was full of his name, someone would invite him. :lol:

Jester
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks so much for this guide. It really helped me get started with a SeedBox

Hero007
09-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks mate

nye
09-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks for sharing, now I just need the $$$ to get one :(.

spongeduckie
09-22-2010, 03:50 AM
As above I too was a noob on this subject but now I feel like I could give a lecture at a University. lol. Thx.

Noobieskoolz
10-07-2010, 03:21 PM
great work. thank you sir.

diew
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Pulsedmedia, torrentswift, xirvik are also good ones.
Seedboxes are even good for your privacy, and are recommended as private tracker seems to block anonymizing services.

anon
11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
as private tracker seems to block anonymizing services.

You can ask first, but most of them are fine with using VPNs or even commercial proxies to download and upload. It's browsing the site through an "anonymizer" that they have an issue with.

[Cod3]Flush3R
11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I was looking for a brief idea about seedboxes. Thanks mate.

sskka
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Number 1: L E A S E W E B

This is the best hosting company, why else would torrent sites such as TL and SCC host there. They provide excellent support and excellent dedicated Server service. They have top-notch servers with one of the best network, you will get great speeds no matter what.

^^ they are very costly too...!

yamada
02-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Why didn't find this thread earlier?

lenjong
03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
learnt a lot from the tutorial. many thanks

eMwolB
04-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Im a big fan of OVH. Biggest bang for your buck for sure. Been there 6 months with great speeds and unmetered bandwith. last month was 14 TB total 10 TB up and 4 TB down. But make sure you get one of the 3 Unmetered servers. I pay 89 dollars US for settup 1 month plus the 54 Dollars Us each month there after. I have 2 750 gig HDD's which is raid 0 to 1500 gigs. Intel core 2 duo E7600 3.06ghz and 4 gigs ddr2 ram. Plus their server "Manager" is filled with control over your server. Chang OS and RAID with the click of a button. You cant beat em. Check em out for Your self, YOU WONT REGRET IT. Brazil & Portugal use ovh.pt; Spain & Andorra use ovh.es. Latvia, Lithuania, Russian Federation and Ukraine use ovh.lt. Ireland, USA, and Canada use ovh.ie.And of course UK use ovh.co.uk. Or for the Europe Main site ovh.com.

P.S. If you want a cheap seedbox with great customer service or you are new to the Seedbox thing I went with Xirvik.com. And their shout box has tons of invites exchanging hands which is a total bonus. Any problems with the seedbox they give you they have no problems moving you to a different one. No questions asked.

Mario222
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for info

pmcgrady
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting... I had no idea that this was a thing. Thanks!

Elif
08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
thanks for claryfing some info, i'm interested in buying a dedicated server sometimes soon

klanabi
09-04-2011, 03:28 PM
thanks mate.

razorpro
09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you for this!

drmk
03-28-2012, 02:33 AM
is there any update about that

why some of dediserver providers have very wide range in prices even they have similar service

anon
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
But i want to know can Use it easly. i never use it before it. is it easy to use ?

It doesn't take much time to learn the basics. There are some good tutorials right in this section.

kinn
06-18-2012, 12:51 AM
With me I think this is seedboxes.cc
Read more here https://www.seedboxes.cc/plans
Thank you :D

junglebook
06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Big up for the guide. Big up to the poster above me they look nice. Defo interested in getting a seedbox again. I do miss it and considering i had a hard drive failure lately im most certainly considering a seedbox as an option.

O´Neill
07-04-2012, 08:25 AM
nice tut, thank you. Best and cheap for me is pulsedmedia @ http://pulsedmedia.com/

hamasha
05-26-2013, 04:45 PM
thank u :)

Hole69
05-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Get the fuck out with Leaseweb. Those whores refused to refund me when the FTP speeds were shit, I had to open a paypal dispute. They pissed and moaned about how they would only issue refunds after having a chance to investigate the issue, which they did after I set traceroute and MTR screenshots but which wasn't enough. How convenient. Fucking cunts the lot of them and a fucking ripoff to boot.

mustafabakar
07-02-2013, 05:36 PM
very helpful guidance thanks

h3xnan
01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
sweet thanks!

Summerisle
12-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Damn, wish I'd had this guide when I was looking around for a seedbox a few months ago. I ended up with Feral Hosting who look pretty decent but this would have saved a lot of research.

nwik
01-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Great guide, thx.

filks
07-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Kimsufi was famous some years back.

just i dont understand the concept of SB, except your are releaser, which i am not. why we need it?
spending money just for increasing ratio?
Even don't understand some PT system where you cannot survive without SB.

Gremlin
02-22-2018, 10:45 PM
I like how pulsemedia looks, my only question is how well do the speeds last on the shared boxes. Do they slow things down like seedboxes does after a certain BW limit?

anon
02-23-2018, 06:56 PM
I like how pulsemedia looks, my only question is how well do the speeds last on the shared boxes. Do they slow things down like seedboxes does after a certain BW limit?

http://pulsedmedia.com/clients/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=68

mrsardonicus
04-18-2018, 12:33 AM
I'm looking for a decently priced seedbox and there are tons of options and opinions out there.
Is anyone familiar with seedhost.eu? Or whatbox.ca? Are they any good?

sam_ron
09-03-2019, 03:46 PM
super glad to have found this thread!

anon
09-03-2019, 11:47 PM
The first post was written on 2008. Back then, 100 Mbps was the norm, and gigabit seedboxes were rare and expensive. Now, 10 gigabits can be had for pretty low prices. Here's a newer overview.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Seedboxes