PDA

View Full Version : New Microsoft Ad

wazza100
09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Was I the only one who saw it and was like wtf, and how it kind of summed up Microsoft Products in 1 word- shit. They couldn't even pull out a half decent ad.

For those who haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SiBBi35zKY&feature=related

clocker
09-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Ironic (JP, please confirm), given that you're probably posting from a Windows machine.

DKre8ive1
09-07-2008, 09:32 AM
The ad was about nothing which is based on seinfelds show about nothing how that will sell MS OS's is beyond me but I am guessing its a whole mini episode type ad being rolled out and it hopefully will make sense when it ends.

But for now I am saying what the hell is going on with this ad which at the end of the day I guess it did its job since it peaked my interest.

Acid_death69
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
But for now I am saying what the hell is going on with this ad which at the end of the day I guess it did its job since it peaked my interest.
+1 it was pretty pointless, when i see an advert for a PC or some OS i wanna see the details not something with shoes and how it's going to relate to an OS with quality or any of that BS.

wazza100
09-07-2008, 11:18 AM
+1 it was pretty pointless, when i see an advert for a PC or some OS i wanna see the details not something with shoes and how it's going to relate to an OS with quality or any of that BS.

the funniest thing about the whole thing was microsoft's reaction- they basically said that fact that people are talking about it means its a good thing ie: any publicity is good publicity :wank:.

How everyone bagging the shit about microsoft after the ad was created helps the company's already tarnished rep beats me :dabs:.

Microsoft what were u thinking :ermm:....

JPaul
09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Ironic (JP, please confirm), given that you're probably posting from a Windows machine.

It would be really ironic if he was using linux.

JPaul
09-07-2008, 11:27 AM
That ad is total fucking quality btw. I :lol:ed :earl:

Thanks for the link.

tralalala
09-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I seriously thought it was a funny ad.. I'm with JP on this one. Quality :)

JPaul
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I think it might be more about Gates' public image than MS or it's products directly.

IdolEyes787
09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
If part of the plan was to humanize Gates,paring him with Seinfeld(not the warmest of characters)was a serious mistake.

I think a lot of the campaign is hinged on people's perception that Seinfeld is such believer in the OS that it could lure him out of semi-retirement.

100%
09-07-2008, 12:07 PM
why shoes?

wazza100
09-07-2008, 01:04 PM

its funny, but i think its very debtable if its serves what microsoft was achieving to do- ie: create brand support etc, rather its been ridiculed for its lack of showing anything the irony being Jerry is on the ad whose show exemplified being all about nothing.

People have jumped on this and suggested that it says alot of the brand- sucks at advertising and its operating system sucks even more.

But forgetting Microsoft's intentions and all that this ad was amusing, it would have served its purpose if it was a beer ad

Wazza

clocker
09-07-2008, 01:07 PM
why shoes?
Because it humanized Bill by showing that he has feet, just like you or I.

Well, actually I don't- I have caterpillar treads- but you get the idea.

JPaul
09-07-2008, 01:14 PM

its funny, but i think its very debtable if its serves what microsoft was achieving to do-

What makes you think that's what they were achieving to do.

DKre8ive1
09-07-2008, 01:26 PM
That is the beauty of an ad about nothing it don't have to confirm anything and it just leaves everything up for speculation and hence talking and speculating about the product grows without evening trying.

clocker
09-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Evening hardly ever tries...she's a well known layabout.
Noon, on the other hand, is one go-getting mofo.

clocker
09-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Evening hardly ever tries...she's a well known layabout.
Noon, on the other hand, is one go-getting mofo.

IdolEyes787
09-07-2008, 01:47 PM
The adage there's no such thing as bad publicity may in time apply but I think in this case talking isn't buying.

I do feel like having a churro though.

Clocker what are you achieving to do?

Acid_death69
09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I know Bill is like the head of microsoft but why is still being in the ads when he'll be leaving soon.

wazza100
09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
its funny, but i think its very debtable if its serves what microsoft was achieving to do-

What makes you think that's what they were achieving to do.

The more I think about it, I must admit I don't know what result Microsoft and its highly paid marketing function wanted with this ad as most people immediately started bagging it out. If anything it magnified even further their constant failings to the consumer.

So with all the bad publicity about microsoft recently cough cough vista, and the popularity of apple continuously growing like an exponential function and the ever looming threat of google I would have thought they could have used Jerry to show a promising Microsoft future.

That is the beauty of an ad about nothing it don't have to confirm anything and it just leaves everything up for speculation and hence talking and speculating about the product grows without evening trying.

In the normal circumstances yes, but Microsoft is pretty well known :) and the ad didn't make me think happily about Microsoft but all the problems its given me as an O/S.

Wazza

JPaul
09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I know Bill is like the head of microsoft but why is still being in the ads when he'll be leaving soon.

I thought he had given up running it and just concentrated on the Gates Foundation now.

clocker
09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Clocker what are you achieving to do?
Oh you know...the usual.
I was striving to achieve but that's hard work (who knew?), so my goal today is immortality.
Hope that doesn't interfere with my nap.

JPaul
09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I think XP is a fantastic OS.

Acid_death69
09-07-2008, 02:04 PM
aye tis, vista can be alrightish somtimes :lol: if you have the right hardware to back it up and to dont anything to it on purpose.