PDA

View Full Version : 3.16ghz cpu running at 2.00 ghz. I want my speed!

AmpeD
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
any ideas on how to fix this? I am running an intel core 2 duo 3.16 ghz on a DFI DK P35 mobo. cpu-z and the bios both say that the specification is 3.16 ghz but the core clock is only at 2.0 ghz.

thanks

http://i35.tinypic.com/6opr83.jpg
also, it seems that my FSB is running incredibly slowly

and what the deal with my memory, I have DDR2 800 pc 8500, but cpu-z shows this for both sticks:
http://i35.tinypic.com/rh0bo0.jpg

Detale
09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
go into your bios and change your multiplier to 9 right now its at 6

333 X 6= 1998

333 X 9= 2997 Where you want to be :)

What motherboard do you have?? The ram will have to be set also at the higher speed

Catcher
09-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Detale, it's not the multiplier he needs to change it's the EIST/C1E he needs to disable.
It's Intel's technology that lowers the CPU multiplier automatically when it is under 20% of usage.
Like I sayd, just disable the EIST or C1E and it's should be fine.

tesco
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Detale, it's not the multiplier he needs to change it's the EIST/C1E he needs to disable.
It's Intel's technology that lowers the CPU multiplier automatically when it is under 20% of usage.
Or leave it as it is and enjoy cooler temps and lower power usage.:huh:

AmpeD, to test just put a load on your cpu and watch the core clock increase to what it should be, until you take the load off.

lynx
09-07-2008, 11:36 PM

AmpeD, to test just put a load on your cpu and watch the core clock increase to what it should be, until you take the load off.
Exactly what I thought when I first saw this.

Effectively the same as AMD's Cool'n'Quiet technology.

kaiweiler
09-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Just leave it as is unless you want to use more power and have you PC running harder than it has to when it is unnecessary. Your clock speed should jump up to 3ghz when it is needed.

clocker
09-08-2008, 12:40 AM

Can't argue with the "lower power useage" part but I saw absolutely no difference temp-wise with the processor at 2GHz or 4GHz (stock is 3GHz).
The 45nm Intels run at such low voltage (especially compared to older AMD stalwarts) that heat is almost a non-issue these days.

Now vid cards are the volcanoes...

tesco
09-08-2008, 12:42 AM

Can't argue with the "lower power useage" part but I saw absolutely no difference temp-wise with the processor at 2GHz or 4GHz (stock is 3GHz).
I do with mine, about 3 degrees.
Makes no difference when there's a load though (obviously).

clocker
09-08-2008, 12:47 AM
My watercooling tends to damp out minor temp spikes I think.

Detale
09-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Maybe but you can see why I would think so the wolfdale should be set at a multiplier of 9
This is mine
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3503/wolfdalenewestpm3.jpg

His says 6
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6064/6opr83ow7.jpg

clocker
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
D., that's how EIST works, it drops the multiplier in low load conditions and bumps it up when necessary.

Detale
09-08-2008, 09:20 PM
:pinch:Oh I thought it dropped the FSB not the multiplier Oops my bad

kondrae
09-09-2008, 10:06 AM
as stated earlier, intel speedstep changes the multiplier(only), when it wants to save power. put the cpu to work and within a blink of an eye, the 6 magically will change to a 9

if your overlclocking, you should disable speedstep via bios

edit: opps didnt see second page

lynx
09-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Does anyone here know the answer to this question: when Intel's SpeedStep and AMD's PowerNow lower the operating voltage, do they do it as a percentage of the full voltage?

The reason I'm asking the question is simply this. If I overclock by raising the base frequency and raise the peak voltage accordingly, is there any need to disable SpeedStep/PowerNow? After all, if the processor isn't under load then I see no reason why it needs to run at full speed. Of course, Since both speedStep and PowerNow both work by cutting the multiplier even the reduced performance levels will have been enhanced so it is a likely that the corresponding voltages will also need to be raised. If they work by adjusting the voltage proportionately then hopefully the increased maximum voltage should have the desired effect at reduced power levels.

Comments?

BTW, I noticed last night that PowerNow wasn't working on my X2, that AMD have relinquished control of the updates to Microsoft and that Microsoft said there were no updates. Even after getting hold of the latest drivers they would not install (although Installshield insisted that they WERE installed). It took quite some effort to force the system to accept the latest drivers and get PowerNow working again. I really don't understand why hardware manufacturers dump the responsibility onto Microsoft when Microsoft are so notoriously poor at getting driver updates right.

clocker
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I have no idea...it's generally recommended that SpeedStep be disabled if overclocking so I've never explored it's foibles.

kondrae
09-11-2008, 02:00 AM
you might get away with not disabling speedstep if you overclock slightly. But if your OCing a lot, you wont be able to hit higher Mhz cuz of instability/undervoltage

bd75sy
10-18-2008, 01:59 AM

The 45nm Intels run at such low voltage (especially compared to older AMD stalwarts) that heat is almost a non-issue these days.

Now vid cards are the volcanoes...

unlike the P4s.... an age gone by thankfully..... they were attrocious for heat!