PDA

View Full Version : Burn After Reading

clocker
09-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Burn After Reading is the latest Coen brothers film, stars John Malkovich, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Tilda Swinton, Francis MacDormand and J.K. Simmons.

In a recent interview the brothers said they first came up with a list of actors they wanted to work with, then defined a character for each actor and finally wrote a story in which the characters would interact.
Seems like a weird way to approach a film but it works.

Much like Fargo, the story revolves around people in way over their heads and events spiral- almost at random- way out of control.

Malkovich gets the movies biggest laugh out loud line...
"Drinking problem? I have a drinking problem? You're a Mormon, compared to you EVERYBODY has a drinking problem!
...but everyone gets their moments.

J.K. Simmons has a small but crucial role- he basically represents the audience. Simmons has become a stellar supporting actor and his turn here- constant incredulous bemusement- is priceless.

Pitt plays against type and Clooney's "basement project" is hilarious.

Any Coen brothers film is worth a viewing...this one is no exception.

mr. nails
11-01-2008, 10:02 PM
thought this was a very good film, but it seems incomplete. after the film was over i was left wanting more story. lol, loved malkovich's character. good stuff. coen bros fans need apply. 8.5/10

surprised to see wtf happens to pitts character. was kinda sudden like leonardo de caprio in the departed.

peat moss
11-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I liked this movie very much , made copies for all the mates at work . Some liked it , others did n't get the Coen humor . No spoilers but very recommended .

Better than Fargo or Oh Brothers ? No but worth the bandwidth . I'm off to watch Millers Crossing again , I love the idiots and irony of their films I think .

Guy's ever notice it's the things off screen that make you think the most ?

IdolEyes787
11-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Miller's Crossing is my second favorite Coen film peat.The Big Lebowski is first only because The Dude is such a perfect character.

chalice
11-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Loved the film in an otherwise banal week. The Coens seem to have struck a trend now in leaving their films open-ended. The pay-off was left to a conversation between the 2 clueless SS men. Much like the stark conclusion of No Country For Old Men. Or was that just me?

My favourite is Raising Arizona with Miller's Crossing running a close second. Damn fine films.

peat moss
11-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Miller's Crossing is my second favorite Coen film peat.The Big Lebowski is first only because The Dude is such a perfect character.

Ya their characters are like someone we all know and they choose the actors so well . Francis McDermond is a great actress too and reminds me of a few women in my life . Crazy one minute, verunable the next .

The Flying Cow
11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Peat - no offense intended, like - do you take heavy doses of ketamine before posting on FST?

peat moss
11-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Peat - no offense intended, like - do you take heavy doses of ketamine before posting on FST?

No and didn't think posting in movies was a crime . If you have a problem with it put me on ignore . :)

100%
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
They should not have put in all those top notch actors at all.

clocker
11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
They should not have put in all those top notch actors at all.
That was the whole point of the film.
According to the brothers themselves, they made a list of actors they'd like to work with, created a character for each actor then wrote a story that integrated the characters. Kind of like The Big Lebowski but with a larger, more star studded ensemble.
More or less a completely backasswards way to do it and certainly the reason that the film turned out the way it did.

I enjoyed the film the first time I saw it but wonder if it will hold up to repeated viewings like my personal favorite Fargo does.

casanova666
11-06-2008, 08:15 PM
i think the movie was gr8